Minigames vs. Roleplay

BadassBaboon

Yeah... it has real RPG vibes. It looks like a feature GTAV online would employ, to allow players to steal other player's vehicles. I can imagine stat whores(those who prioritizes stats above roleplay) can exploit it. I'd much rather just have it removed and replaced with a way of submitting your roleplay logs/evidence of RP to an admin (which will unlock the vehicle on RP approval or something).

As people have said previously, which I agree with, the minigames are not built to replace roleplay. Whether it is poker, blackjack, hot wiring, lockpicking, or breaking into a safe you are expected to RP before and after those events.

The minigames are a soft skill lock that you oocly will get better at as your character gets better at it and are far better than the previous random chance elements that predated them. 

On 2/14/2021 at 7:50 AM, Engelbert said:

Honestly, I was never fond of lockpick a car, to elaborate...as technology progresses old methods are becoming obsolete pretty fast. Lockpicking simply won't work on cars like Rebla GTS or XLS or say Pariah, etc etc. There are easier and faster methods now, just may require bit of technical knowledge or someone to provide that knowledge. Ofc there's towing. But then I also understand that GTA is a simple game aimed at all sorts of crime and not say Watch Dogs. I only wish people were more creative.

Spot on, I roleplayed a car thief and despite being forced to lockpick the car script wise, I always roleplayed the more modern, realistic methods such as relay theft... and then I got told off for it, lol

• Upvote 1

The whole argument is just invalid, it doesn't ruin RP, it enhances it. And the feature also creates an in-character dynamic where you win or lose by real life rules (in poker and blackjack) , without having to /flipcoin 30 times on a small activity or write 20 /me's when nobody's gonna see them if you're lockpicking a car. The activity's seen, and it doesn't take away any necessary roleplay. 

Edited by undefined

For some time I thought minigames weren't the way to go, I didn't like them and I didn't like the effect they had (sky high car jacking), but eventually I learned there's people who take real advantage of them in the way the're intended, as it's been mentioned previously, in the end it all comes down to every player's will to roleplay.

To answer what @DodgyBuddy said, making admins take part in vehicle breakins sounds good on paper, but they already have way too much on their plate, that'd probably end up being worse than property breakins. You just can't wait for a vbreakin as long as for a regular breakin for obvious reasons.

Don't change it, just make sure it's used properly.

Speaking from experience with this lockpicking system - I fully roleplay using the tools prior to actually doing the /vbreakin, then following the completion of the minigame I do another line or two of roleplay. Same for the /hotwire, I roleplay first then use the script for the minigame.

The minigame idea itself is actually really good, it adds that layer of potential failure as otherwise people could ALWAYS roleplay getting the lock open. Whereas the minigame adds that percentage for someone to actually fail. Granted IRL there are devices you can buy off Wish that clone car keyfobs and you use them to get into a car and drive it away in seconds but its GTA5, its the best of a bad situation.

• Upvote 2

creates a catch 22 with administration; someone's boosted your car and you're sure they haven't roleplayed it? provide proof, it's on you, we don't have to check logs.

but you weren't there to see it

thus it doesnt matter, it's schrodinger's carjacker. unless you're observing whether he's roleplaying picking your car's lock or not picking your car's lock, he's both roleplaying it and not. in essence, you need to be there to prove that he isn't which in of itself is contradictory

no crime should ever be reduced to a minigame. what happened once this was implemented? people started lockpicking 15 cars a night in search of guns and ammo, check the vehicle inventory and scarpa towards the next vehicle. there's been some bans, sure, but that's provided the people that do it are caught; and they often aren't, as robbery victims are rarely in contact with one-another to verify that, indeed, their cars have been broken into during the same minor timeframe.

also please for the love of god, adjust it. lockpicking a 60s car is fine, lockpicking a luxury sedan with keyless entry and no lock isnt. so is starting it without roleplaying the lack of a lock, the presence of an immobilizer, the steering lock and all the other anti-theft precautions manufacturers have added

• Wuhtah locked this topic