Minigames vs. Roleplay

BadassBaboon

I remember before the implementation of the new lockpicking minigame, players were required to roleplay breaking into a car, and hotwiring it. Ever since it has been replaced with a minigame, I am yet to see actual roleplay happening with car jackings. In my personal opinion minigames although great, have RPG tendencies. In this case, it also has continuity issues, for instance, you wouldn't lockpick/hotwire a Hybrid Jester or an Electric Neon the way you do a diesel Glendale; with RP you have more control over what you do with less restrictions.

What is your opinion on Minigames? Should they replace or aid roleplay? 

Share your thoughts.

• Upvote 1

The mini-game isn't the problem. It's up to the car-boosting player to RP it out. I've seen locking picking RP'd out even after the implementation of the mini-game. It's meant to enhance the RP but like with everything else on the server, some players prioritize other things over actual RP.  

What's the point it would be solo rp. Unless you get caught that /me of fiddling with a lock is gonna be pointless and if anything the minigame makes it skill based instead of randomization. It's not replacing roleplay if there was barely any rp to begin with, next you'll say remove the soccer script since people dont rp kicking the ball they just do it scriptwise.

I really like that they added the minigames, since it makes it something you can actually practice and get faster at. I hated that it was randomized before, and someone that was picking a lock for the first time could potentially do it easier and faster than someone who'd done it a hundred times before. It doesn't change that people still need to RP it out, it just adds a realistic element of challenge, and getting faster with experience. 

• Upvote 2

The more the merrier. People competing the task without roleplaying is just like people using a /vbreakin command and waiting without roleplaying. If anything, these minigames are a great enhancement to role-play. They make it much more interesting and challenging than doing a command that has a random chance of working or not working. If you see someone not roleplaying breaking into cars, just report it.  

Honestly, I was never fond of lockpick a car, to elaborate...as technology progresses old methods are becoming obsolete pretty fast. Lockpicking simply won't work on cars like Rebla GTS or XLS or say Pariah, etc etc. There are easier and faster methods now, just may require bit of technical knowledge or someone to provide that knowledge. Ofc there's towing. But then I also understand that GTA is a simple game aimed at all sorts of crime and not say Watch Dogs. I only wish people were more creative.

• Wuhtah locked this topic