[LSNN] BREAKING NEWS: Governor Robert Brandt vetoes Marijuana Legalization in break with Unanimous Passage by State Senate

LSNN

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Governor Robert Brandt vetoes Marijuana Legalization in break with Unanimous Passage by State Senate.

BY RANA KHATI

Los Santos, SA - In a bombshell Senate veto on the 8th of February 2021, Governor Robert Brandt (D) vetoed the Cannabis Legalization Act of 2021and broke with not just the State Democratic Party as well as the entire State Senate of San Andreas.

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

In a devastating blow to the criminal justice and legalized marijuana movement, Governor Robert Brandt inexplicably broke with public mandate and a rare unanimous consensus in the State Senate and unilaterally vetoed a legalized marijuana bill. While at this time he has not provided any explanation for his decision to override the will of the people expressed by their elected officials of both parties, LSNN has received reliable information that might shed a light on possible motivations. 

image.png

Marijuana Activist Baba Black outside of the first historic marijuana hearings held by SA State Legislature.

After a massive protest at City Hall earlier in January and the repeated demonstrations by legal marijuana advocates, the public will towards a state that recognizes legal recreational marijuana is hard to ignore. With even bipartisan support from traditionally oppositional parties, the efforts of these activists have gone a long way towards shaping legislative efforts and substantiating pro-marijuana sentiment across the City of Los Santos and State of San Andreas. The State Senate passed the Cannabis Legalization Act of 2021 unanimously in a rare show of overwhelming support by legislators before being vetoed by the Governer himself.

LSNN received the below anonymous tip earlier this month and had been working tirelessly to substantiate it before the marijuana vote came to a close, unfortunately we were unable to gain comments from officials before this came to a vote and so we were unable to publish it as per our editorial standards guidelines.

The veto from Governor Brandt however has substantiated the main claim which is why we reproduce it faithfully for you below:

Spoiler

image.png

The now substantiated anonymous tip suggests that Governor Brandt not only went against the will of the State Senate and his own party but also may have broken with his own administration in making this unilateral decision.

LSNN is reaching out to the State Democratic Party, the Brandt Administration, and local marijuana activists for comment on this developing story. This article will be updated as we receive commentary from all parties involved.

Updated 9:00 PM 2/8/21

Senator Gabriela Morales sent LSNN her comment: 

"The news from Governor Brandt is merely an additional hurdle to the inevitable and is more of a suggestion that he is out of touch with the general public than anything else. I can, and will, continue to fight for the legalisation of recreational marijuana, even if I have to go the long-route of decriminalising, medicinal and then recreational legalisation. I will not stop until the people are heard and their will acted upon."

Updated 9:09 PM 2/8/21

Senator & President Pro Tempore of the Senate Frank Ernst provided his comment:

Republican lawmakers were shocked by the abrupt veto of the marijuana legalization bill that Republicans developed, introduced and passed. This is another sign of a fractured Democrat Party that is unable to produce meaningful policies or maintain a coherent public policy agenda. We were wholly unaware of Democrat Governor Brandt's position on this bill, and it never came up in my many meetings with Lieutenant Governor Holland. Nor did the Democrats offer ANY amendments during the legislative process. This is a step backward for San Andreas, criminal justice reform, and small businesses.

Updated 4:21 AM 2/9/21

Dr. Danielle Shaw, Director of Pillbox Hill Medical Center offered her personal take (not reflective of the LS City Gov nor PHMC at large:

This afternoon it was brought to my attention a man I have never before heard of, struck down a bill which for once unified this state's political spheres. A bill in which various figures across the state were consulted for their opinions and to give relevant facts upon. I myself spoke out about the numerous benefits Marijuana can have in the field of healthcare, or even home treatments. And sadly despite all parties agreement, professionals agreement and the public's agreement; our voices and our knowledge were silenced.

I would like to say I am surprised by these turn of events, but with events from earlier this year still burned into our collective mindset, we all know the feeling of being silenced. I'm not sure what my good friend Senator Morales has in store, but she is a brilliant mind and I am confident in her resolve over the matter. I would like to use this time to iterate to the public, this statement is not reflective of the position I hold within bureaucracy, but that of my own personal belief and mindset.

Updated 12:59 AM 2/10/21

District Attorney Eden provided the following statement:

"I am disappointed in this decision by the governor in vetoing the Cannabis Legalization Act. It is a rare occurrence that the legislature of any state unanimously agrees to the passage of a bill, especially one on a topic that has proven to be a contentious issue throughout the country. A more detailed response from the District Attorney's Office will be released in the next few days."

Y8l4IDT.png

2OyH6Zd.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by LSNN
updates

Username: ARepublican01
Comment: A bold move from a great man. You dopeheads go to other states and dont whine. I totally agree - should only be for medicinal purpose. Fuck your recreational shit, we have enough of you braindead people around - look at ULSA.

• Upvote 1

Comment: Senator Morales should just be on the campus of ULSA for a month - and she will see, that we have enough monkeys with brain defects already. No need to give them the chance to get marijuana legally, it will end badly. ULSA will fall probably into the last spot on the university success rate in the World. It is already on the way there.

Just now, Tsarna said:

Comment: Senator Morales should just be on the campus of ULSA for a month - and she will see, that we have enough monkeys with brain defects already. No need to give them the chance to get marijuana legally, it will end badly. ULSA will fall probably into the last spot on the university success rate in the World. It is already on the way there.

username: CT-2

comment: You sound like someone who has a crush, coming at an issue from one mere perspective and making your crush the center of discussion despite the topic having nothing to do with them. Valentine's Day is coming up, maybe get them a bouquet of roses to show them how much you care and think about them.

• Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic