Renew The Advertisement System

Cipher

38 minutes ago, Illusive said:

What I meant was, the suggestion says how there should be a dedicated option on the phone to view ads, so you will be spamming that command just to view them.

Oh! I don't think that'll be necessary if we rework how ads are deployed.

The idea that an ad only lasts as long as the chat filter will allow will have to go along with the green text. I've always found it silly that every character in the city will have ads about an individual looking for a particular kind of car - when it would be much more 'clean' to simply put up a listing in an appropriate category.

I'd prefer that ads on your phone cost more, but last substantially longer - a week or more, depending on the slot paid for. You'd really only have to check ads daily in that case.

The only negative impact I can foresee is that businesses are propped up by the way our ad system works, but after an adjustment period I'm convinced they could find a way to adapt.

I anticipate a reworked ad system working something like this: there are several categories to choose from (vehicle, property, employment, classifieds, recent ads, etc) and your phone will display relevant ads with each category. Maybe even throw in a fairly expensive option in which your ad is always displayed regardless of where you navigate. Purchasing ad space will allow you to specify an amount of time (minimum 1 week) and a category.

The idea would need some fine tuning, but it would eliminate the green text spam that rolls across the screen constantly without the fear of missing a relevant ad permanently when you /togad.

I am all for adding options, enhancing the experience in accordance with personal preference.

1+ to add a phone app which displays advertisements. All while keeping public ads togglable. Win win for all I’d say.

The difficult part would be balancing the gif/picture part in the app along with the current text-based one. But perhaps this is overkill and only makes this feature much more difficult for devs to implement.

Start small and simple, get what we want and then let the devs figure out if it can be made even better with customizeable options.

Edited by Arnzeal

If we are gonna overhaul this and use the phone, we might as well make use of the features the CEF phone has.  Have a web-based advertising system, something like ads.gta.world.  There, people can buy an advertisement and have (for example):

Summary:  A one line text to summarise your advert - this will appear as it does normally in green text.  No icons like skulls or hearts are allowed.  Perhaps a character limit of 60.  E.g. "Bob's Nightclub is now open! Click our ad to see more!"

Detail:  More text or a PNG image of your advert that will show on the phone when people click it (like the note system people use for menus etc).

Once an advert has been purchased, the summary only gets announced once, but the detail stays on the phone app for 30 minutes.  A person can choose to pay a small fee every 15 minutes to annouce the summary again.

Edited by Paenymion
  • mj2002 locked this topic