Age Requirement - Revision

LAGhost

How do you know how old someone is OOC when you first encounter them for role play in-game? Do you make presumptions based on their role play ability? Cause once more, I've met incredible RPers who were under the age of 16. I've met god awful RPers who were over the age of 16. Something isn't adding up and I'd relate it back to my question about sexual role play.

You wouldn't know how old the person you're RPing with is unless you were required to ask because of sexual RP. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable once you know their age because if they claim they're under aged, then you should stop all sexual advances and leave them alone. 

There is no way for this to be truly moderated. If someone is playing the server, then they have purchased the base game and already had to "lie" about their age or obtain parental consent to purchase it. I get the need to moderate sexual roleplay, but I feel that this is a bit OTT.

At the end of the day, you're never going to know the age of the people you're roleplaying with in-game, they could always lie, and personally, I've never even thought about it.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Wynters said:

LSRP's success derives from their ability to contain their standards to a natural high. It is a heavy text based server and caters to those who've enjoyed Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Age requirements exist in real life for games, people get by them; sure, but this doesn't mean there shouldn't be a precautionary measure in place to cater to the primary demographic of the player-base. I would argue most players are 16+.

The basis of this revision is not to do with sexualised roleplay but rather comfort zones of players aged over sixteen, roleplaying with someone who is anything below that in real life. If they get angry that they can't play because they're too young, well..

People get angry that they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol from a local corner shop because they're underage, but does the business fail or elsewise similar? No, it doesn't. 

This revision has both appreciative, sentimental and level-headed boundaries that will do more good than it will bad, to the player-base. 

And from a community moving forward-standpoint, it's a forward thinking mindset. The fact that it isn't already implemented could be argued to be strange enough.

EDIT: If arguments are based around sexualized roleplay this is their own argument, my revision specifies its purpose and why it should be motioned forward into approval. Please refer to earlier posts.

Agreed well put! This isn't about sexual rp, I merely used it as an example to show what we were doing to protect younger audiences. There's always room for us to do more.

3 minutes ago, Wynters said:

LSRP's success derives from their ability to contain their standards to a natural high. It is a heavy text based server and caters to those who've enjoyed Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Age requirements exist in real life for games, people get by them; sure, but this doesn't mean there shouldn't be a precautionary measure in place to cater to the primary demographic of the player-base. I would argue most players are 16+.

The basis of this revision is not to do with sexualised roleplay but rather comfort zones of players aged over sixteen, roleplaying with someone who is anything below that in real life. If they get angry that they can't play because they're too young, well..

People get angry that they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol from a local corner shop because they're underage, but does the business fail or elsewise similar? No, it doesn't. 

This revision has both appreciative, sentimental and level-headed boundaries that will do more good than it will bad, to the player-base. 

And from a community moving forward-standpoint, it's a forward thinking mindset. The fact that it isn't already implemented could be argued to be strange enough.

EDIT: If arguments are based around sexualized roleplay this is their own argument, my revision specifies its purpose and why it should be motioned forward into approval. Please refer to earlier posts.

Adding in an age restriction as high as 16 because the older folks are uncomfortable is unfair for those younger than 16. 

After all, they made the choice to join the server and are trying to enjoy it as much as the rest of us, why should we take that away from them?

Practically everyone I know that has RPed extensively had started before they were 16, myself included.  I’d argue my writing skills and my understanding of the world beyond what I see in real life has vastly improved because of my experience in role playing, I don’t think we should be policing that.

We could have the next J.R.R Tolkien on our hands but they’ll be forced to either leave the server or lie about their age just so they can play a game that is already enough effort to join as it is.

im not going to lie, I never thought of it this way but roleplaying around children with certain things is super disturbing honestly.

I have had to search up things that's probably landed me on a FBI watch-list lol, making bombs, making drugs, good ways to stash a dead body, you get the idea. All for the sake of making a realistic and properly portrayed character.

Those types of things on TOP of the sexualized aspect of roleplay(which to this day I never understand why people love to delve into that part of roleplay, jesus christ), are things I'd never let my child partake in. My child should be doing child things not learning how cocaine is turned to crack or how to make a perfect pipe bomb. And don't even get me started on the gang culture that's on the server. These are all things that we are supposed to teach our children to steer away from yet due to the nature of the game, gangbangers do get glorified and in the game it gives off the idea that people who do illegal things get further in life.

Edited by Juicebox.
4 minutes ago, Wynters said:

How are people uncomfortable if they're role playing with somebody who is under the age of 16. If I am in a role play scenario with somebody their age literally does not effect me, nor does it for most of the community. Unless if you're engaging in a type of role play with somebody that is underaged and they should not be interacting in that type of role play, why does their age matter at all?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Wynters said:

letting a 12 year old buy some vodka and cancer sticks vs letting them roleplay are two very very different things.

one is not ok, the other can depend.

i hear your argument of adult themes, but realistically, i think all of the GTA base games introduce plenty of adult themes, and if their parents buy them the game, then that's up to them.

not even going to touch on the fact that this will deter maybe 3 teenagers in total, just like on sites that are 18+, everyone that's under 18 will just click the button and go ahead. who's gonna check? doubt nervous wants to start storing pictures of IDs, sounds like a nightmare.

• Upvote 1