Age Requirement - Revision

LAGhost

4 minutes ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

Uh, no?

I understand the purview you're trying to push but it's not as easy as just slapping in an age verification for GTA:W. That's like victim blaming people who got raped, take out the weirdos that prey on the kids / find other solutions to make it a safer play experience for the younger audience instead of stopping people playing a game they very much so enjoy

That's not the same thing.

This is just a DOB check that requires you to state you're above 16. If you're caught lying about your age then it's punishable. Simple as that. I don't have anything further to add.

Just now, Wynters said:

That's not the same thing.

This is just a DOB check that requires you to state you're above 16. If you're caught lying about your age then it's punishable. Simple as that. I don't have anything further to add.

You're not answering my question, you're telling me how the system would work.

What I am asking you is why? Just because of the small adult themes that are optional to deal with UNLESS if you consensually agree to participate in them?

1 minute ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

You're not answering my question, you're telling me how the system would work.

What I am asking you is why? Just because of the small adult themes that are optional to deal with UNLESS if you consensually agree to participate in them?

If you look at my initial post, it states that the nature of this server bases around the adulthood of Los Angeles, mirroring it with Los Santos' existence, in place of LA, with a sprinkle of college roleplay, which are people RPing 18+.

Furthermore; primarily the nature of this server's roleplay is 18+, on top of this, there is a comfort zone of young adults+ who, evidently, agree with this rule revision.

I have now responded to your question and have nothing further to add, as it's a minor elaboration on my initial post.

- Wyn

13 minutes ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

Uh, no?

I understand the purview you're trying to push but it's not as easy as just slapping in an age verification for GTA:W. That's like victim blaming people who got raped, take out the weirdos that prey on the kids / find other solutions to make it a safer play experience for the younger audience instead of stopping people playing a game they very much so enjoy.

As somebody who is over the age limit that is being pushed it's actually beyond me how people can actually support this suggestion.

Why is this? Why does a role play server (keep in mind, these have been around for over a decade now) have to be limited by an age limit. LS-RP, RC-RP and all those other servers have had people underaged for decades, YET IT'S THIS SERVER that for whatever reason cannot allow them to play (I partly blame all the cesspool of ERPing). I grew up on SA-MP and I don't want the future generations to not grow up with this. Text based role play is fun for ALL ages.

GTAW is not any of the other servers, we have our own standards and values. As far as I'm aware GTAW is the only server that proactively aims to protect it's younger audience by imposing rules on sexual roleplay based on IC and actual age, not because we want to control people's roleplay but because it's the right thing to do. If you were a parent and saw half of the graphic stuff (not just the sexual rp) that goes on in the server I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want your kid seeing it if you were a decent parent. Graphic descriptions of murder, criminal activity, drug use, profanity the list goes on.

Sure it's definitely fun for them, but from a moral and legal standpoint there's an argument to be made.

Edited by Moonsong

Protect your younger audiences by not letting them play on the server? It's a gaming community. The way you prolong text based role play is by allowing younger audiences to experience it and simply restrict them from participating in things such as sexual role play.

I started RP when I was just 13. I've met 13 year olds that were more mature and better RPers than some adults on RP servers.

13 year olds play call of duty. 13 year olds play cyberpunk 2077. 13 year olds play GTA V on their console. Why restrict a percentage of your player base if they aren't breaking server rules? Because it makes you feel uncomfortable? That's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Topiyo said:

Protect your younger audiences by not letting them play on the server? It's a gaming community. The way you prolong text based role play is by allowing younger audiences to experience it and simply restrict them from participating in things such as sexual role play.

I started RP when I was just 13. I've met 13 year olds that were more mature and better RPers than some adults on RP servers.

13 year olds play call of duty. 13 year olds play cyberpunk 2077. 13 year olds play GTA V on their console. Why restrict a percentage of your player base if they aren't breaking server rules? Because it makes you feel uncomfortable? That's ridiculous.

If any 13 year olds are playing 2077 that's just irresponsible parenting. I'm a firm believer in the saying "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." If I feel uncomfortable roleplaying with someone underage, who's to say that I'm wrong for feeling that way? It's not ridiculous at all.

Yeah this would be a good rule to implement, I myself started RPing at 14 and never worried about my age because of a rule but there should be rules in place for younger player. I personally think we should just restrict it to 16 and older, or if don't decide to take this route we should be protecting the younger players as much as we can. Really they shouldn't be allowed any relationship rp at all. A lot of times when someone is in a relationship IC it turn OOC, we've seen stories of it before of older players getting into a relationship with a younger player, it starts off innocent and they are just a thing in game. Then they start messaging each other on discord and talking OOC and it escalates from there. It's un-acceptable and there needs to be rules put in place to protect the younger players.

But you aren't that kids parents and you shouldn't be behaving as such. The parents are clearly comfortable with purchasing a violent game for their kid because they understand that video games don't drastically affect the characteristics of a kid. That's more of a "do video games cause violence" agenda you'd see on the news.

The only possible way for you to have figured out someone else's OOC age while you role play with them is because you wanted to engage in sexual role play. That's totally a you issue in that case and should not be put on the under aged role player. I have never discovered the OOC age of the players around me and so I have never been put in a position to feel uncomfortable. 

18 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

GTAW is not any of the other servers, we have our own standards and values. As far as I'm aware GTAW is the only server that proactively aims to protect it's younger audience by imposing rules on sexual roleplay, not because we want to control people's roleplay but because it's the right thing to do. If you were a parent and saw half of the graphic stuff (not just the sexual rp) that goes on in the server I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want your kid seeing it if you were a decent parent. Graphic descriptions of murder, criminal activity, drug use, profanity the list goes on.

Sure it's definitely fun for them, but from a moral and legal standpoint there's an argument to be made.

Yes we are not other servers, but taking inspiration from other servers won't kill you. Both RC-RP and LS-RP have existed for years now, they've clearly been doing something right, no?

You must be oblivious to your surroundings if you feel as if removing younger audiences from a role play community will help be the moral eagle solution to stopping them seeing sexualized content online, all it's going to cause is a bunch of pissed off teens and preteens who want to play on the server so they'll lie, and if they get caught, they'll be even more pissed off.

Side note: Were you 18+ to play your first mature game?

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
5 minutes ago, Blowin' Hollows said:

Yes we are not other servers, but taking inspiration from other servers won't kill you. Both RC-RP and LS-RP have existed for years now, they've clearly been doing something right, no?

You must be oblivious to your surroundings if you feel as if removing younger audiences from a role play community will help be the moral eagle solution to stopping them seeing sexualized content online, all it's going to cause is a bunch of pissed off teens and preteens who want to play on the server so they'll lie, and if they get caught, they'll be even more pissed off.

LSRP's success derives from their ability to contain their standards to a natural high. It is a heavy text based server and caters to those who've enjoyed Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Age requirements exist in real life for games, people get by them; sure, but this doesn't mean there shouldn't be a precautionary measure in place to cater to the primary demographic of the player-base. I would argue most players are 16+.

The basis of this revision is not to do with sexualised roleplay but rather comfort zones of players aged over sixteen, roleplaying with someone who is anything below that in real life. If they get angry that they can't play because they're too young, well..

People get angry that they can't buy cigarettes or alcohol from a local corner shop because they're underage, but does the business fail or elsewise similar? No, it doesn't. 

This revision has both appreciative, sentimental and level-headed boundaries that will do more good than it will bad, to the player-base. 

And from a community moving forward-standpoint, it's a forward thinking mindset. The fact that it isn't already implemented could be argued to be strange enough.

EDIT: If arguments are based around sexualized roleplay this is their own argument, my revision specifies its purpose and why it should be motioned forward into approval. Please refer to earlier posts.

Edited by Wynters