Age Requirement - Revision

LAGhost

Hey there everyone!

So the rule revision is fairly simple.

Understanding the world we create:

Roleplay is something that starts at the interest of those both young and old alike, however, due to the nature of this server's game-world and how it corresponds to the adulthood life of Los Angeles, mirroring it in fact, I will follow this with my intent.

Intent:

In spite of the above, I believe we should target those 16 and older. 

A reason for this is due to discomfort. I am not sure about others, but those like myself, who are in their 20s, do not personally feel comfortable RPing in an adult landscape with someone who is a minor in real life. Like, 13-15. 16 is a fairly lenient age requirement and seems very good. The age gap is respectable to roleplay with. In a community where we can choose our demographic, this seems fair.

Additional Info: I'm sure a lot of people would agree with this, as I've heard and seen people say they're 13 IRL.

GTA World should be a fun side-hobby for the players who're aged 16+, and thus, an age verification asking your DOB should be mandated upon signing up to the server, or at least stating your age is over 16. I am aware that people can lie about such things but it will surely help to those who stay honest to their age and it will help us contain our environment to those of the age that should be accessing it. And act as a disclaimer, preventing those under the age requirement from joining.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
5 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

And how do you plan on checking that? If I'm a 13y/o who wants to play, I'd lie about my age. Simple as that. 

If you check a Steam page for a game that's age restricted you can lie about your age but it's still there as a precautionary measure.

And also, lying about your age would be punishable at that point. (If found out)

There are people here who've been honest about their age and while that's respected, it still shouldn't allow them to play if they're below the 16 year old requirement.

Another point:

And it also factors into things like illegal RP, having 13 year olds RP gangsters in-game isn't really a good thing to encourage them with when they're still growing IRL.

Edited by Wynters
additional info
1 minute ago, Wynters said:

If you check a Steam page for a game that's age restricted you can lie about your age but it's still there as a precautionary measure.

And also, lying about your age would be punishable at that point. (If found out)

How can you find it out though? Admins gonna make me take a picture of my ID? I'm all for the idea, idea is good, but it's a game, you can't actually know if someone is lying or not.

9 minutes ago, Wynters said:

thus, an age verification asking your DOB should be mandated upon signing up to the server, or at least stating your age is over 16

you want people to start handing over passports now? absolutely not. if its not broken dont fix it. 

• Upvote 1

I'm supporting this suggestion 100%. I'd honestly feel very uncomfortable if I knew I was roleplaying with someone who was 13/14 and there are a lot of adult themes that many youngsters just wouldn't understand. As harsh as it may seem, we can't constantly babysit them.

Asking for any kind of proof would put many players who are over 18 but don't have ID, in a difficult position. I believe a checkbox during registration would be enough and if we found out later they were underage, they could be banned. 16 seems like a fair age considering the nature of the server. All of this is just my opinion as an individual though.

• Upvote 1

Lets not forget GTA V age restrictions are 17+ / 18+ in most countries. Sure, there are people that are fairly mature at 14/15, but generally, they should not be exposed to such game, nor any in-depth roleplay that might be disturbing to them - violence, adult topics and so on. Shooting someone in GTA Online, CoD and others is one thing, going through the act through in-depth development and descriptive actions is another. A age requirement at 16 years seems to be a reasonable ground and can be enforced through age checks, "Are you over the age of 16?" and similar. Sure, people will slip through, but so it be. It is on their own risk an responsibility at that point opposed to open end with no limitations and age requirements and most likely they will be found out one way or another.

• Upvote 1

Uh, no?

I understand the purview you're trying to push but it's not as easy as just slapping in an age verification for GTA:W. That's like victim blaming people who got raped, take out the weirdos that prey on the kids / find other solutions to make it a safer play experience for the younger audience instead of stopping people playing a game they very much so enjoy.

As somebody who is over the age limit that is being pushed it's actually beyond me how people can actually support this suggestion.

53 minutes ago, Wynters said:

GTA World should be a fun side-hobby for the players who're aged 16+

Why is this? Why does a role play server (keep in mind, these have been around for over a decade now) have to be limited by an age limit. LS-RP, RC-RP and all those other servers have had people underaged for decades, YET IT'S THIS SERVER that for whatever reason cannot allow them to play (I partly blame all the cesspool of ERPing weirdos). I grew up on SA-MP and I don't want the future generations to not grow up with this. Text based role play is fun for ALL ages.

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
  • Upvote 1