An Office Job

DasFroggy

Short description: A starter job that is an office environment, as an alternative to the blue-collar starter jobs currently available.

Detailed description: At the moment, most "starter" jobs for new players and those in need of immediate work, are blue-collar positions such as the gas station and trash collecting, whereas slightly more difficult application-joined businesses are almost routinely at bars, garages, pawn shops, and trucking companies.

I have yet to see a white-collar job opportunity that best simulates working in an office environment without requiring significant legal experience or some preestablished association to existing offices (of which I have found none). So, in the interests of having an office somewhere, I am suggesting a starter office job be created.

It will use the FIB office suite, as a single location in which people show up, /startshift, and roleplay just about anything they feel they would be best in an office environment. File TPS reports, research statistics, shoot the breeze at the water cooler, complain in the break room about getting egg salad again, dick around in a cubicle, schedule staff meetings that totally should have been an email instead, find that one printer, drive it out to an empty field and smash it to pieces....

But most important of all, roleplay. Being a single easy-access job means people can tack on another entirely new environment in which to meet friends and socialize - at the office. It has the possibility of becoming a hub in which roleplayers can meet, civilian jobs can happen with actual interactions (as being one location means a steady flow of people, whereas with 24/7 it is spread all over San Andreas), and roleplay can thrive.

The job is to have fun roleplaying in an office environment, and I honestly believe it can work. 

Commands to add: None

Items to add: Literally nothing at all

How would your suggestion improve the server?

It would fill a very large civilian roleplay experience gap, and it would serve as a core meeting ground for roleplayers to meet and connect. Plus,it would encourage more office-work type characters, which we have so few of today as it is.

Additional information: This suggestion is likely to not be well received by some, as there are a few that have insisted this should be a job that fills some niche in the server with actual work scripts. I do not agree with that position, but I do still believe this can help the server, so whether it is approved here or not, it will happen in some form. Already I am looking into simply creating the business via IC means and paying into it funds accrued via IC endeavors. No personal profit is planned from this, and the aim will still be to add an easy-access roleplay office environment for those that want it. This suggestion is moreso an attempt to set it up so that it does not simply dissolve overnight if I am struck by a car and reduced to a road waffle while heading home from work.

Post-suggestion Notes     

- Pay increase per person present (Kappaurel)

Employees are paid more depending on how many are present and /startshift'd, to encourage more people being present and interacting.

- A theme is needed (Winged)

It cannot just be "a business" without having focus. Determine what the office deals with, so that there's actual direction and theme, as opposed to being just a generic do-everything company/corporation.

- Theme and payment (orca112)

The business theme could possibly be government employee, lower-tier infrastructure accounting. Payment can also be further made to encourage interaction by increasing pay proportionate to the total roleplay of all /startshift'd employees.

- Helping other businesses (Chuck Lee)

This proposed office job can also serve as a centralized source through which other office-oriented businesses can find and employ staff for more specialized jobs. New players would be able to better make connections with existing companies, corporations, and businesses that they would have otherwise never known about.

- Helping other businesses financially (knpple)

Assuming some profit is made off of the business, said profit can be accumulated and utilized as a support fund for other office jobs that may be struggling.

- Employment center office jobs (mj2002)

This office job could be a component to further enhance the job center of the server. People working in this office would have some work by seeking out and maintaining contact with businesses in need of people. 

Edited by DasFroggy
Spelling, adding notes for improvements
  • Upvote 9

The idea needs to be polished a bit, but could have a great potential. I have talked with the author of the suggestion because I was quite skeptical about it. 

24/7 / Gas Station employees get to interact with customers, Truckers have fun driving and sometimes get robbed, Garbage men... well, they drive around too....

However, being in an interior roleplaying as an office-person would be boring and I brought it up to DasFroggy, asking her how it would be funny for the person doing this job, since the interactions would be non-existent. She says that it could be a hub, and all the people working at the same time could roleplay together, that is, indeed the best part of the idea, it could provide really engaging roleplay.

On the other side, your fun would depend of how many people (if any) is working at the same time at the place, since you will get 0 opportunity to roleplay with the exterior world (apart from maybe a phone call), so that has to be worked on.

+1 though, I like how an office as a hub for civilian roleplay sounds, would be nice.

EDIT: 

I found two ways to address the possibility of people not working there at the moment meaning complete zero fun. Both could be applied together, or only one of them... I don't know.

A: Give the office a reason to exist for the outside world. 24/7 sell stuff, gas stations refill your car... give the office a reason to exist, so people can go there as customers or clients.

B: Make a money multiplier happen the more people there is working at the same time. Example: 1 person working means basic 4k/h wage, but if two players are working then it goes up to maybe 4.5k/h, three players? 5k. It's not out of proportion since 24/7 and gas station employees make extra money by selling / filling vehicles, truckers make a shit ton of money and garbage men too. It would have a cap, of course, so they don't make 50k an hour if there are 30 players at the same time or something.

Edited by Kappaurel

It's great there are suggestions popping up for the white-collar legal side, always nice to see.

Is there a reason to have this as anything but a faction, though? Most of what you described is already being accomplished by a few corporate legal factions on the server. That also allows the people RPing in the office to be focused around a certain topic. I fear that if people are allowed to RP whatever they choose that loosely fits office RP, the RP could become questionable fairly quickly.

I'd personally like to see more white-collar legal factions delivering this type of RP experience to players.

Of course this is just my opinion, I'd love to hear what your take on that is.

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, Winged said:

Is there a reason to have this as anything but a faction, though?

Ease of access, mainly. Legal factions were brought up in the suggestion, and I am actually part of a legal faction already, largely as a result of having no other alternatives anywhere else.

Since the day I joined, finding an easily accessible office job ultimately proved futile. The jobs that were available were both hard to find and requiring of actual legal experience, and the alternatives were jobs that required knowing someone to get, and even then remained limited to needing legal experience to join. Not because the jobs were prohibitive, but because employers decided it would be too boring for me, or ceased to exist entirely before my first day of work.

To put this into perspective, I only managed to get into office roleplay by becoming a lawyer. That is a slope I am still climbing, when all I really wanted was to sit in an office environment with others and roleplay filling out paperwork. 

This is intended to be the base-level office work that anyone can join at any time, so that there is no risk of needing to study real world case law or international trade economics in order to join.

If others are willing to open their offices to walk-in applicants to occupy the cubicles and disappear printers, that too would be a desirable outcome. Sadly, I do not think others will voluntarily enlist persons without some profit-oriented motive.

That said, I have added a note regarding your input, and will further develope the idea to include a theme or field in which the business operates. Many thanks!

Edited by DasFroggy

Overall, not necessarily a bad idea. Though it would require a theme - a reason to exist. And from there, it might become hard to maintain continuity. With people going into the smallest detail on certain topics, it would be strange to have, lets say, a government office to manage gas stations around town and people roleplaying around it, creating documentations and statistics when these documents are "not actually created" as a physical piece of text / document OOC. Sure, there is always the workaround with defining details on documents through emotes, but someone will come up with it eventually and thus making the original idea of office roleplay on the server turning into writing made-up things whilst AFK and/or not in the game.

The suggestion might also lead to potential abuse of the system - people accepting the job and roleplaying about their day or completely absurd things just to throw in that /me ever now and then to receive the government paycheck without their character actually doing a (office) job.

TL;DR A good idea, but hard to have it implemented without affiliations to factions / companies as standalone job whilst following continuity.

Just saying there's this. We're trying to get funding to offer a payment that looks appealing to the individual atm.

Anyway check https://buschharlandinc.weebly.com/careers.html

and 

https://buschharlandinc.weebly.com/internships.html

We haven't had the chance to get OUT there but we've been strong since 2018 and majority of the people that have dealt with us have seriously learned things that could be benefitial in real life. That is due to the realistic environment we attempt to provide in our niche of corporate roleplay.

But also, we grant possibility of individuals to rank up in the corporation if their performance is good. A few have been able to do so in these past two years.

EDIT: Also the tasks we assign are quite necessary, but due to the low amount of people interested in numbers and the office work, we are unable to have a big team. And thus unable to provide an appealing pay which should arrive if everything goes well.

Edited by Chuck Lee
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, orca112 said:

Though it would require a theme - a reason to exist.

This is something I am working on, and so far I suspect it will likely be a company or government office assigned to some specific yet still mundane role that has no immediate or profound influence on the overall way of life in Los Santos, so essentially like most pointless bureaucracy in government! (Most likely low-priority infrastructure financing/accounting)

26 minutes ago, orca112 said:

just to throw in that /me ever now and then to receive the government paycheck without their character actually doing a (office) job.

This is the appeal of it existing as an entry-level position, in that people will likely be attracted and create roleplay, often times seeking out others in the office to engage in roleplay with. 

Kappaurel suggested earlier that the number of participants could serve as the basis for pay increases, but maybe it could also be volume of roleplay that also boosts the paycheck size. This dynamic of rewarding more people for engaging in more roleplay, could prove an ideal resolution to your concerns. 

Many thanks for your input. You have helped considerably.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Lee said:

but due to the low amount of people interested in numbers and the office work, we are unable to have a big team.

This is likely the biggest obstacle, and one that I am to avoid. While realistic numbers can help an actual business be profitable, this particular office roleplay job is not intended to be profitable. It is intended purely and for no other reason than to create a roleplay environment where people can easily engage and socialize with other white-collar characters and settings.

This is something I am committed to in such an extent that I fully intend to pay out of pocket for it if need be, with no expectations of returns or gains. People will not need to know actual corporate accounting skills or be required to use excel spreadsheet. The goal here is simply to give them a place to roleplay.

But...

...it can be beneficial to you too. One of the earlier aspects planned for this, was to also double as a launching pad for legitimate business interests. Say you need someone good in accounting, but nobody is picking up the advertisements. You could visit this office and ask around, offer a chance to transfer from this office to your own. It would give you a reliably staffed and centralized location from which you can source personnel for your own business needs.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

This is something I am working on, and so far I suspect it will likely be a company or government office assigned to some specific yet still mundane role that has no immediate or profound influence on the overall way of life in Los Santos, so essentially like most pointless bureaucracy in government! (Most likely low-priority infrastructure financing/accounting)

This is the appeal of it existing as an entry-level position, in that people will likely be attracted and create roleplay, often times seeking out others in the office to engage in roleplay with. 

Kappaurel suggested earlier that the number of participants could serve as the basis for pay increases, but maybe it could also be volume of roleplay that also boosts the paycheck size. This dynamic of rewarding more people for engaging in more roleplay, could prove an ideal resolution to your concerns. 

Many thanks for your input. You have helped considerably.

This is likely the biggest obstacle, and one that I am to avoid. While realistic numbers can help an actual business be profitable, this particular office roleplay job is not intended to be profitable. It is intended purely and for no other reason than to create a roleplay environment where people can easily engage and socialize with other white-collar characters and settings.

This is something I am committed to in such an extent that I fully intend to pay out of pocket for it if need be, with no expectations of returns or gains. People will not need to know actual corporate accounting skills or be required to use excel spreadsheet. The goal here is simply to give them a place to roleplay.

But...

...it can be beneficial to you too. One of the earlier aspects planned for this, was to also double as a launching pad for legitimate business interests. Say you need someone good in accounting, but nobody is picking up the advertisements. You could visit this office and ask around, offer a chance to transfer from this office to your own. It would give you a reliably staffed and centralized location from which you can source personnel for your own business needs.

We have the place and everything set in an organized manner. However we could survive with a very small team and have good RP in our “inner circle” however it would be neat to have a complete environment with around 10-12 people in the same office environment at a time. But that’s expensive and unless we get support from admins we won’t be able to fund that amount of people. Unless of course we find people that are strictly involved to the RP we provide. 

Also we provide fringe benefits as well other than that small pay currently.

• Wuhtah locked this topic