Metagaming Enhancement: Distinguish "player" and "character" verbiage

u10sil

Rule 19 offers a solid explanation of the difference between player and character:

19) Sexual Roleplay Rules

"Player" refers to the person behind the screen. "Character" refers to the character created by the player that exists in-game.

I am suggesting an addition to 3) Metagaming:

In OOC discourse, players shall make an effort to distinguish between themselves and their characters by utilizing personal pronouns ("I", "me", "we", "us", etc) only when referring to players.

Note: This addition could be explicitly complimented by the implicit: When referring to characters, players shall use character names, the word "character(s)", or other means of making it clear that they are referring to a character (and not themselves).

As a Heavy Roleplay server, we should be discouraging any behavior which further obfuscates the (already sometimes blurry) line between people's characters and themselves.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:23 AM, u10sil said:

Rule 19 offers a solid explanation of the difference between player and character:

"Player" refers to the person behind the screen. "Character" refers to the character created by the player that exists in-game.

I am suggesting an addition to 3) Metagaming:

In OOC discourse, players shall make an effort to distinguish between themselves and their characters by utilizing personal pronouns ("I", "me", "we", "us", etc) only when referring to players.

Note: This addition could be explicitly complimented by the implicit: When referring to characters, players shall use character names, the word "character(s)", or other means of making it clear that they are referring to a character (and not themselves).

As a Heavy Roleplay server, we should be discouraging any behavior which further obfuscates the (already sometimes blurry) line between people's characters and themselves.

I agree that Rule 19 is very clear about players and characters. However, I don't think the addition is needed. If we take a look at Metagaming it is like a fusion of IC and OOC, may I quote: ''Providing in-character (IC) information to another player using out-of-character (OOC) means. Providing OOC information to another player using IC means. Using OOC means to find in-character information. Using OOC communication and/or information to influence anything in-character.'', which means that there is basically no boundaries between IC and OOC. In the rule they already give us an indicator to refer to ICly happened matters and OOCly happened matters that lead to the IC issues. This suggestions is more like a ''starter guide'' on how to refer to the matters when reported for. Because to use personal pronouns and the character name refers to the people who have conducted metagaming and have to elaborate their actions towards the admins and then they can use this phrasing you suggest, but In my opinion it doesn't need to be stated into the metagaming section, everyone has another way of handling their matter. 

• 2 weeks later...

In favour of this suggestion. It clearly draws the line between your character and the player behind the screen. Even if it seems as minor, it makes a huge difference and reminds the player of said seperation and the risks of (potential) metagaming.

Edited by orca112
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This should be common practice and does not require a rule when it comes to OOCly explaining things, we know what people mean when they're saying it. It is very clear when someone feels their character is an extension of themselves and that will be dealt as metagaming/poor character portrayal anyway.