Cease outside CK Applications

Red.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, Red. said:

It seems like a shitty double-standard

That's because it is.  Tell it to business owners who spend a lot of time and effort on their characters only to get CK'd because they don't give up extortion money to any mob thug that comes along.  I mentioned this a long time ago and got mocked for stating the obvious.

+1 support.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:52 AM, Red. said:

CK Apps, as it stands now, are honestly a kangaroo court. The "accused" in them has no opportunity to retort anything presented to LFM/IFM. This is honestly ripe for abuse and falsehoods that are only rectified by means of an after-the-fact appeal.

This is the core issue I see in the system (not just limited to ck apps but specifically there).

My character ic at court has more rights than me as a player in the community regarding transparency, accountability and so on- so much for the basic theory behind it.

In practice, what really is a problem is that the system is one sided.

I can effectively plot to kill someone ooc, lobby for this, gather "evidence" for my claim to murder said character, all the while acting friendly ic or at least not letting them know I am planning to go against them.

Once I eventually have my okay from fm, I'll switch stance and murder you on the next opportunity, typically with the element of surprise on my side (as in character I showed no sign of planning to murder you, I just did it ooc, lmao).

Needless to point out, this highly encourages metagaming as it's simply the most efficient way to not let someone know they're marked for death, as it will make them an easier target.

Server rules need to take player behaviour in account, and in some cases- like here- it's more profitable for a good rp scenario to adapt the rules than to expect players to adapt, when clearly it does not work out as intended.

5 minutes ago, knppel said:

This is the core issue I see in the system (not just limited to ck apps but specifically there).

My character ic at court has more rights than me as a player in the community regarding transparency, accountability and so on- so much for the basic theory behind it.

In practice, what really is a problem is that the system is one sided.

I can effectively plot to kill someone ooc, lobby for this, gather "evidence" for my claim to murder said character, all the while acting friendly ic or at least not letting them know I am planning to go against them.

Once I eventually have my okay from fm, I'll switch stance and murder you on the next opportunity, typically with the element of surprise on my side (as in character I showed no sign of planning to murder you, I just did it ooc, lmao).

Needless to point out, this highly encourages metagaming as it's simply the most efficient way to not let someone know they're marked for death, as it will make them an easier target.

Server rules need to take player behaviour in account, and in some cases- like here- it's more profitable for a good rp scenario to adapt the rules than to expect players to adapt, when clearly it does not work out as intended.

Because you have to. For the vast majority of people; if they found out they are liable to be CKed they’ll just stay inside properties, log in once a week, and do everything humanly possible to be as unreachable as possible. That’s also meta, everything in this process is meta. It’s by design. 

Even with the current system. I know there are gangs/groups/OCGs that I was warned about, and OOC'ly too, because they're "very CK happy" and open CK apps whenever someone sneezes wrong. And usually, those are happily granted lol :x 

Doesn't really affect me directly since I don't interact with that kind of illegal RP, but for those who'd be around those guys... it probably doesn't help developing a character. :x

13 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Because you have to. For the vast majority of people; if they found out they are liable to be CKed they’ll just stay inside properties, log in once a week, and do everything humanly possible to be as unreachable as possible. That’s also meta, everything in this process is meta. It’s by design.

That's why I agree with the op it's a generally bad system.

Slightly better (but still leading to constant arguments of course) was the way we had implemented ck apps on warband rp 10 years ago-

There it went the other way around and rather than to first get ooc permissions, the task was to get in a position ic where you were able to execute another party, critically wound them etc.

Once this was given, admins permitted or denied ck's- we had no such thing as a "pk"- , in the case of approval rp proceeded that way, in the case of denial the party having the upper hand was obliged to find a solution for the situation where they abstained from killing the other party (tossing them in a dungeon was an option).

The core difference was that kills, may it be murder or a "legal" execution in our feudal setting, happened organic and out of the game developement, opposed to take place (like it happens here) once admins have made a decision on a case (which can often take ages as many know).

thinking of it, the other crucial difference was indeed the absence of pk's.

In our rule set, people who are denied ck apps will still often resort to murder as conflict resolution method, just limited to pk's opposed to a ck.

Nothing is done to encourage players to be creative around this by the system, it's all up to us, if (let's say getting someone in line with force opposed to get rid of them).

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

+1 to this.

It's a very gamey system that isn't regulated very well. Appeals are basically ignored, and when they finally get looked at, it's weeks/months later and they fall back to the  "too much time has passed" like it's everyone's fault but those who should've been reviewing it the day it got posted.

So yeah, get rid of it, save for in house incidents and gross player negligence decided and reviewed by admins on the spot, and apt to appeal.