Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

7 hours ago, Brett said:

Do weapons have to be referred to by their IG variant? Or can we stick to real-life models for those? 

"Other brands compliment real life. There is not enough depth to the majority of brands outside of car brands for us to take them in-character alone. As a result, other brands exist alongside Rockstar brands. Brands that are obviously satire (eg. Pisswasser) can be seen as lower quality brands. "

This should be your answer, and given Rockstar only included vague names I personally suggest referring to an actual weapon name like we have been doing.

• Upvote 2

What do characters who have been roleplaying their origin and backstory outside of San Andreas, such as Liberty City and smaller suburbs such as Broker do when their backstory is made irrelevant? 

It's not easy to just say 'replace with irl counterpart' when the Rockstar lore is vastly different from the real life counterpart:

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Liberty_City_(HD_Universe)

Why not just replace Rockstar lore named cities with their counterparts like we have with LS?

• Upvote 1

I can only speak for myself. As far as GTA lore goes regarding cars and locations...I follow them, sure clothing, food and beverage brands to start with, are a parody of real life brands so only few are taken into consideration. But as far as locations, cities and cars go...I use GTA universe.

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

I can only speak for myself. As far as GTA lore goes regarding cars and locations...I follow them, sure clothing, food and beverage brands to start with, are a parody of real life brands so only few are taken into consideration. But as far as locations, cities and cars go...I use GTA universe.

I share your opinion here. We've gotta use the in-game things and lore as much as possible and only use "real life" things where the in-game items are lacking / not diverse enough.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, starbuck said:

What do characters who have been roleplaying their origin and backstory outside of San Andreas, such as Liberty City and smaller suburbs such as Broker do when their backstory is made irrelevant? 

It's not easy to just say 'replace with irl counterpart' when the Rockstar lore is vastly different from the real life counterpart:

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Liberty_City_(HD_Universe)

Why not just replace Rockstar lore named cities with their counterparts like we have with LS?

This. We have plenty of assets inside and outside the game that suggest Liberty City and other variations of real-life cities/states exist in the same timeline as GTAW's take on San Andreas. There's also the fact that we take San Fierro as something IC despite it not being attached to San Andreas in V. Why can't we do the same with Liberty State/City, Vice City, North Yankton, Carcer City, Las Venturas, etc?

• Upvote 2

Okay so I'm trying to wrap my head around some of this as far as the locations go. And it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And I feel like this is gonna slip through the cracks because "It's already been answered" but this really really needs actual clarification because there is a lot of conflicting information coming out here and the whole point of continuity is so there's no conflicting information and everyone is on the same page.

The rest of the U.S. outside of San Andreas is named as is real-life.  Liberty City, Vice City, Las Venturas and other locations changed by Rockstar are not taken IC. The only exceptions to this is San Fierro and Los Santos. 

because of this reasoning.

It's much simpler to use real life as a basis for continuity. If we used Rockstar lore as a base, we would have to go out of our way to define everything Rockstar has made in the past and everything it will release in the future. We're already going to spend months properly detailing San Andreas. The effort that would be required to bring the other lore locations in line with what we're doing with San Andreas was considered to be too much to be worth our time.

Okay. So we've established this. It doesn't make sense because there are literal cities for this laid out and it would've been simpler to say that the locations exist, but the events in the other games did not, and the RL history applies to the lore friendly cities, but okay. We can track on this for a second.

But this is where it goes off the rails.

To summarize, to make the way factions are portrayed make sense those areas exist IC. For simplicity, if GTA V didn't name the location but GTA San Andreas did, we use those names. East Beach, Idlewood, Jefferson and Willowfield would be examples of places that would exist. For in-game purposes, they can only be referred to and not visited though. So you can say your character grew up in an off-map location or they have family there, but you can't RP hiding from a rival faction or the police in one of those locations. That has to be done in-game.

Okay. So, to understand this correctly, we are not allowed to use stuff in the GTA Universe, or even the GTA HD Universe and I guess the staff expects characters who've been around for longer than this continuity push to just retcon years worth of story and backstory if they're from one of those cities, but we are actually allowed to say that things from GTA San Andreas as far as Los Santos goes exists when I can't actually drive to Willowfield, or Market or the majority of other neighborhoods from the game? Continuity just ceased to exist. Right there. And here's why. All of these other cities? We don't have substitutes for. The city of Los Santos? We do. So why does that exist?

I can easily say that I got on a plane and went to Las Venturas for the weekend. Or I went out of town for a week to Vice City. Hell, modders have even made updated versions of that to support people taking pictures of it to post to their face space. It almost can't get anymore lore friendly and RP community supportive than that.

It's has be all or nothing. Especially when there is so much to go on that your players can access when it comes to the HD universe that says that they do exist. There are posters and props in game that have reference to Vice City, and Las Venturas, and Liberty City. It doesn't make sense for it to actually exist in our server lore, but not allowed to exist in our server lore. There's too big of an impact for this to be overlooked.

We are playing in a replacement of Los Santos, so naturally it doesn't make sense for us to roleplay the old Los Santos. But to say it's okay to do San Fierro, but not okay to do Las Venturas, Liberty City, Vice City, North Yankton, I guess if you wanted to do that one too - We've now branched off and are no longer in a continuous setting. This less about California and more about continuity with the rest of the United States and the world as a whole.

To overlap the same city from two different games and say you can mingle between them in your stories but to not be able to mingle the other cities from the games into backstories as well? How does that work? The reasoning for it isn't sound. Not even a little bit. Nobody is asking for full history and an array of demographics from the other cities. It's backstory stuff and that's it. Why take that away from some people, but leave it in for who's city has been literally replaced in the new universe?

I understand that the team wants continuity, and the community wants continuity to, but we need real continuity. Not some splintered version of it's okay to RP a replaced city but not okay to RP unreplaced ones.

• Upvote 6
  • Applaud 1
11 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Okay so I'm trying to wrap my head around some of this as far as the locations go. And it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And I feel like this is gonna slip through the cracks because "It's already been answered" but this really really needs actual clarification because there is a lot of conflicting information coming out here and the whole point of continuity is so there's no conflicting information and everyone is on the same page.

because of this reasoning.

Okay. So we've established this. It doesn't make sense because there are literal cities for this laid out and it would've been simpler to say that the locations exist, but the events in the other games did not, and the RL history applies to the lore friendly cities, but okay. We can track on this for a second.

But this is where it goes off the rails.

Okay. So, to understand this correctly, we are not allowed to use stuff in the GTA Universe, or even the GTA HD Universe and I guess the staff expects characters who've been around for longer than this continuity push to just retcon years worth of story and backstory if they're from one of those cities, but we are actually allowed to say that things from GTA San Andreas as far as Los Santos goes exists when I can't actually drive to Willowfield, or Market or the majority of other neighborhoods from the game? Continuity just ceased to exist. Right there. And here's why. All of these other cities? We don't have substitutes for. The city of Los Santos? We do. So why does that exist?

I can easily say that I got on a plane and went to Las Venturas for the weekend. Or I went out of town for a week to Vice City. Hell, modders have even made updated versions of that to support people taking pictures of it to post to their face space. It almost can't get anymore lore friendly and RP community supportive than that.

It's has be all or nothing. Especially when there is so much to go on that your players can access when it comes to the HD universe that says that they do exist. There are posters and props in game that have reference to Vice City, and Las Venturas, and Liberty City. It doesn't make sense for it to actually exist in our server lore, but not allowed to exist in our server lore. There's too big of an impact for this to be overlooked.

We are playing in a replacement of Los Santos, so naturally it doesn't make sense for us to roleplay the old Los Santos. But to say it's okay to do San Fierro, but not okay to do Las Venturas, Liberty City, Vice City, North Yankton, I guess if you wanted to do that one too - We've now branched off and are no longer in a continuous setting. This less about California and more about continuity with the rest of the United States and the world as a whole.

To overlap the same city from two different games and say you can mingle between them in your stories but to not be able to mingle the other cities from the games into backstories as well? How does that work? The reasoning for it isn't sound. Not even a little bit. Nobody is asking for full history and an array of demographics from the other cities. It's backstory stuff and that's it. Why take that away from some people, but leave it in for who's city has been literally replaced in the new universe?

I understand that the team wants continuity, and the community wants continuity to, but we need real continuity. Not some splintered version of it's okay to RP a replaced city but not okay to RP unreplaced ones.

well said, i hope they fix this shit, cause it's confusing as hell and makes 0 sense honestly. San Fierro apparently exists even though we've never been there in the HD universe, but Venturas, Vice City and Liberty City don't?

• mj2002 locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.