Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

19 hours ago, root said:

As for the tasers. 

I've seen multiple videos of LEOs chasing a suspect and using the taser more than five times even though they missed, until they catch him. 

In real life, as far as I know, LEOs carries one cartridge inside their taser, which is ready for immediate action and two more around their duty belt.

There's an actual rule for the server about how many times a LEO can use his taser? Because the current one has unlimited "shoots", It'll be fair for those who attempts to run on foot and they haven't done anything serious enough to be shot.

A lot of LEOs I've seen have already gone and implemented a rule around this, albeit there are several different types of tasers. Some are single shot, some have double shot. There are quite a few advancements within the world of Tasers as of late. All in all, LEOs are to follow the rules set in place by their faction based on whatever current IRL taser there is to roleplay (No restriction from continuity has been placed besides those that exist IRL), and if you feel they are breaking that rule, faction reports can be found here:

For example, San Andreas Park Rangers currently roleplay the X2: Double-shot CEW Taser - https://www.accreditedsecurity.com/docs/TASER-X2-operating-manual.pdf

Edited by Nightmare Night
  • 3 weeks later...

I need some clarification. I read here https://wiki.gta.world/index.php/Continuity_Summary#COVID-19_is_not_taken_in-character. that "anything in relation to COVID-19 cannot be referenced". Sure, I get it reading the latter: "pointing out the fact that people are wearing masks and there is no crowd at a sports event would break continuity and should not be taken IC".

I understand that it would be stupid to have to roleplay masks, keeping distance, having to take precautions during events or events not being able to take place at all or somebody infecting your character with a deadly virus.

However, my main continuity issue right now is that my character is from Hong Kong and his youth there is a big part of his creative career. I roleplayed that my character went on a hiatus to Hong Kong to attend a funeral and he met family there. The situation in Hong Kong right now is something that takes a big place in Asian communities abroad (likewise the situation with Taiwan). Seeing how the culture in Hong Kong has changed over the past few years is definitely something that would affect my character emotionally and his perception of the world (which is a part of his artistic venture). The suggestion that COVID-19 is being used as an excuse to further the CCP's agenda (and eventually annex Hong Kong inevitably) is something that can hardly be ignored. When talking about Carrie Lam, the riots, the bills, the free press that got silenced, the bills prohibiting any critique on the CCP, are inevitably strongly (and not just superficially) linked. Not being able to reference COVID-19 in such a context just creates a really annoying plot hole. It is almost like not being able to roleplay coming from there, when most of the people that I have met roleplaying Chinese American on this server roleplay coming from there. It's an important tension. It is like saying Trump does not exist and any sociological context as a result of that, polarization, radicalization, does not exist and cannot be roleplayed. Sure, you can ignore the situation in Hong Kong, but then you are not roleplaying Chinese.

Please elaborate what I can and can't roleplay.

edit: I would also like to add to that the emancipation of Asians is a big thing right now thanks to COVID-19. Asians have faced a lot of racial tensions, people getting beat up in the streets of New York, San Francisco, prejudices, misconceptions and stigmatization in media. If you have read any news the last few months. It is a pivotal moment for Asians abroad. Sure, COVID-19 is not all, but it is a part of it. It is something we must be able to roleplay.

Edited by Solsroyce
7 hours ago, Solsroyce said:

I need some clarification. I read here https://wiki.gta.world/index.php/Continuity_Summary#COVID-19_is_not_taken_in-character. that "anything in relation to COVID-19 cannot be referenced". Sure, I get it reading the latter: "pointing out the fact that people are wearing masks and there is no crowd at a sports event would break continuity and should not be taken IC".

I understand that it would be stupid to have to roleplay masks, keeping distance, having to take precautions during events or events not being able to take place at all or somebody infecting your character with a deadly virus.

However, my main continuity issue right now is that my character is from Hong Kong and his youth there is a big part of his creative career. I roleplayed that my character went on a hiatus to Hong Kong to attend a funeral and he met family there. The situation in Hong Kong right now is something that takes a big place in Asian communities abroad (likewise the situation with Taiwan). Seeing how the culture in Hong Kong has changed over the past few years is definitely something that would affect my character emotionally and his perception of the world (which is a part of his artistic venture). The suggestion that COVID-19 is being used as an excuse to further the CCP's agenda (and eventually annex Hong Kong inevitably) is something that can hardly be ignored. When talking about Carrie Lam, the riots, the bills, the free press that got silenced, the bills prohibiting any critique on the CCP, are inevitably strongly (and not just superficially) linked. Not being able to reference COVID-19 in such a context just creates a really annoying plot hole. It is almost like not being able to roleplay coming from there, when most of the people that I have met roleplaying Chinese American on this server roleplay coming from there. It's an important tension. It is like saying Trump does not exist and any sociological context as a result of that, polarization, radicalization, does not exist and cannot be roleplayed. Sure, you can ignore the situation in Hong Kong, but then you are not roleplaying Chinese.

Please elaborate what I can and can't roleplay.

edit: I would also like to add to that the emancipation of Asians is a big thing right now thanks to COVID-19. Asians have faced a lot of racial tensions, people getting beat up in the streets of New York, San Francisco, prejudices, misconceptions and stigmatization in media. If you have read any news the last few months. It is a pivotal moment for Asians abroad. Sure, COVID-19 is not all, but it is a part of it. It is something we must be able to roleplay.

Think of it kinda like this: In a situation where you come up to another player in-game, in what sense does it make sense to just start talking about what's going on half-way across the world when GTAW is it's own world, with no worries or stresses of what's going on anywhere else?

This sort of topic is prohibited because it's simply not a topic we want to roleplay or have players stress about when GTAW is that escape. The same for the emancipation going on right now. Why would you want to roleplay that? and how often does it come up in-character here that you need to reference it? I would love to hear exactly why it would need to be referenced in-game or roleplayed besides that of a "potential of missed prejudice, misconceptions, and stigmatization."

Simply put, there isn't much of a reason to reference this in-character. Most valuable reason I can see is for when you're typing up a character backstory. Covid-19 simply is something we don't need to roleplay in the now and in-game and this was unanimously agreed upon through management. It might be apart of it, but there is no reason to reference it in any situation as of today. Characters will need to find their own situational reasons to act based upon certain races and simply not use Covid-19 as an excuse. I have seen multiple factions based out of little Seoul or mission row fluidly go through with their roleplay without needing or wanting to reference Covid-19, so I believe that all can carry on through their lives roleplaying as if it simply doesn't exist.

Edited by Nightmare Night
12 hours ago, Nightmare Night said:

Think of it kinda like this: In a situation where you come up to another player in-game, in what sense does it make sense to just start talking about what's going on half-way across the world when GTAW is it's own world, with no worries or stresses of what's going on anywhere else?

This sort of topic is prohibited because it's simply not a topic we want to roleplay or have players stress about when GTAW is that escape. The same for the emancipation going on right now. Why would you want to roleplay that? and how often does it come up in-character here that you need to reference it? I would love to hear exactly why it would need to be referenced in-game or roleplayed besides that of a "potential of missed prejudice, misconceptions, and stigmatization."

Simply put, there isn't much of a reason to reference this in-character. Most valuable reason I can see is for when you're typing up a character backstory. Covid-19 simply is something we don't need to roleplay in the now and in-game and this was unanimously agreed upon through management. It might be apart of it, but there is no reason to reference it in any situation as of today. Characters will need to find their own situational reasons to act based upon certain races and simply not use Covid-19 as an excuse. I have seen multiple factions based out of little Seoul or mission row fluidly go through with their roleplay without needing or wanting to reference Covid-19, so I believe that all can carry on through their lives roleplaying as if it simply doesn't exist.

Your answer clarifies my question. To answer your questions:

1) "in what sense does it make sense to just start talking about what's going on half-way across the world when GTAW is it's own world, with no worries or stresses of what's going on anywhere else?" That is an easy question you already know the answer to yourself. Many people play foreign characters. Don't think I need to elaborate further on that... Also your point about "no worries or stresses of what's going on anywhere else" is far from the truth. People choose to roleplay these things all the time as a motivation for a weakness, a bad character trait, a bad economical background... Why can't my character be worried about the political situation in the country he grew up in? Half of the Chinese off-the-boaters on this server moved after 1994...

2) "This sort of topic is prohibited because it's simply not a topic we want to roleplay or have players stress about when GTAW is that escape." Like I said I understand you don't want to deal with the practical implications of COVID-19 (I don't want to either, help) but I don't see how talking about a political situation in a foreign country troubles anybody. To me they're two different things, which is my point. Please separate them or we go in circles.

3) "I would love to hear exactly why it would need to be referenced in-game or roleplayed besides that of a "potential of missed prejudice, misconceptions, and stigmatization." It doesn't need to be. It's just an avenue that should be open. GTAW doesn't need to be a travesty of the US where more than average amount of people feel the need to roleplay race wars, but it is.

4) "Simply put, there isn't much of a reason to reference this in-character. [...] It might be apart of it, but there is no reason to reference it in any situation as of today." It's not an all or nothing situation where I only want to talk about COVID-19 on my character, don't get me wrong. But I think you're looking at it too much from your own perspective. There isn't a reason to roleplay anything at all. To one person something is a triviality, to somebody else it is about authenticity or something. The reason I asked the question is because I feel limited in my roleplay and your rule seems too general. I can't roleplay part of my backstory and have to supress aspects of my character because you / the management don't find it relevant, but I do. I don't know what more you want to hear. What is a plausible excuse to you to not retcon something similar?

15 hours ago, TotalDeeJay said:

Can I get some clarity on the rules of selling real life intellectual property (IP) of Artists (Not from the Player base) IG for IC Cash? 

E.g. in an Art Gallery

Thanks 

Could you explain a little more into this? Such as selling a IRL song that wasn't made by your in-game character for money? Or how do you mean Art Gallery?

5 hours ago, Nightmare Night said:

Could you explain a little more into this? Such as selling a IRL song that wasn't made by your in-game character for money? Or how do you mean Art Gallery?

Like finding an image on Google of some Art, and then selling it as an item IG

14 hours ago, TotalDeeJay said:

Like finding an image on Google of some Art, and then selling it as an item IG

In a general sense, they shouldn't be roleplaying what they haven't done IC. That is reportable. Creating a /note then selling it is kinda iffy, but selling like a online photo, not sure why anyone in their right mind would buy that, but players are allowed to do it as selling a printed photo is something you can do IRL, albeit illegal.

But say in your art gallery setting, if they are selling artworks that they didn't create, that's definitely something that should be reported to Property Management for review based on their rules.

Any copyright concerns need to be forwarded up to Nervous, but otherwise, they aren't being sold for actual cash, just in-game currency.

• Applaud 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Good point. I’ll forward it to the team and see what we can come up with in regards to the list of schools appropriate.

Hey. Any update on this? Thanks. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.