Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

• 1 month later...

Is there a ruling on how we're meant to ICly interpret a street gang that's been portrayed by different factions? 

Basic example:

1. A faction opens and portrays the 321 Crips street gang.
  2. Said faction closes (inactivity, shut down by FM, et al).
  3. Some time later, a faction is opened that portrays the 321 Crips.

Is the newer faction's portrayed 321 Crips supposed to be ICly seen as the same 321 Crips portrayed by the original faction?

• Upvote 1

We're forced to roleplay New York instead of Liberty City, while Liberty City is a firmly established city in the HD era canon complete with references, clothing, and content around every corner in-game. We're also forced to roleplay San Fierro's existence, which barely sees a couple of mentions in the game as a whole and isn't properly established in the HD universe. Why is this? It makes little sense and just causes more confusion than it's worth.

There's a multitude of clothing with Liberty City logos and references on it, there's "Broker" clothing, the Willard Faction has a "Liberty City Willard" plate frame on it. Now go in-game and tell me how many references to San Fierro there are in the game. I bet you can count them on one hand. 

Why is this? It's a bit counterintuitive, isn't it?

Edited by Dom.
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Dom. said:

We're forced to roleplay New York instead of Liberty City, while Liberty City is a firmly established city in the HD era canon complete with references, clothing, and content around every corner in-game. We're also forced to roleplay San Fierro's existence, which barely sees a couple of mentions in the game as a whole and isn't properly established in the HD universe. Why is this? It makes little sense and just causes more confusion than it's worth.

There's a multitude of clothing with Liberty City logos and references on it, there's "Broker" clothing, the Willard Faction has a "Liberty City Willard" plate frame on it. Now go in-game and tell me how many references to San Fierro there are in the game. I bet you can count them on one hand. 

LCC also exists, stands for Liberty City Cycles

• Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Dom. said:

It's implied that San Fierro no doubt exists, because the GTA:V map is only a portion of the state of San Andreas, specifically the south. We don't know if the equivalent of San Diego exists either.

I struggle to understand this lore that's been set, especially when we have Liberty City Cycles (is it NYCC/New York City Cycles now?) as @Mescalerocorrectly pointed out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 4:56 PM, Dom. said:

Edited by Dom.

It feels as though the continuity thing has simply stopped. People are freely referencing Liberty City and Vice City in-game, and it doesn't seem to be enforced in-game either. There aren't many replies in this thread from admins either, so, as players what are we meant to think or do here? I would've just simply gone back to the basics of what the server's universe had.

5 minutes ago, Aquila said:

It feels as though the continuity thing has simply stopped. People are freely referencing Liberty City and Vice City in-game, and it doesn't seem to be enforced in-game either. There aren't many replies in this thread from admins either, so, as players what are we meant to think or do here? I would've just simply gone back to the basics of what the server's universe had.

continuity exists but is still yet to be enforced

On 7/18/2021 at 6:25 PM, u10sil said:

Is there a ruling on how we're meant to ICly interpret a street gang that's been portrayed by different factions? 

Basic example:

1. A faction opens and portrays the 321 Crips street gang.
  2. Said faction closes (inactivity, shut down by FM, et al).
  3. Some time later, a faction is opened that portrays the 321 Crips.

Is the newer faction's portrayed 321 Crips supposed to be ICly seen as the same 321 Crips portrayed by the original faction?

This is something that IFM has to answer. IFM has a large amount of autonomy over any continuity decisions when it comes to dealing with illegal factions.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:56 PM, Dom. said:

While there are references to it, the people involved with the decision at the time felt that it was the best decision to replace as little as possible. In the ideal world, we wouldn't have to replace anything and just use real life as a reference. It has been stated before that any references to Liberty City, Vice City etc. can be taken as acceptable alternative names IC. 

I could go into a lot of detail to explain why, in the long term, only replacing California is the best decision. The simplest way I can put it is that the logistics behind replacing any real life location with a fictional one is just too much. If GTA World had Vice City and Liberty City as playable areas, it would be a much bigger deal. But both just have references that can easily be explained away. 

On 8/13/2021 at 4:48 PM, Aquila said:

On 8/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, Yoak said:

continuity exists but is still yet to be enforced

What you don't see is the amount of reports admins deal with when they're in-game at any one time. If I was to log in at any point, there's going to be at least five pending reports and usually one break in request that have yet to be handled. Continuity exists as a rule and violations of that rule are treated the same as any other rule break. Admins have to prioritize reports so if there is a reference to Liberty City when you /examine someone, it's generally seen as lower priority. Even then, I have barely seen anyone reported for making references not in line with continuity decisions. 

As a general note, I know there has not been much going on with Continuity Management recently but that will be changing. Progress ground to a halt as the staff members involved with it have all been busy during the summer. I have been working with Management on a few solutions on how to get the ball rolling again so we should hopefully see more posts coming out soon. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.