Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

23 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I mean, I've been here longer than you have. This latest policy shift may not have been accompanied by any change in the precise language of any rule, but it's a significant departure from how many reports have been adjudicated in the past.

The server has been plagued by unrealistic, poorly roleplayed robberies with a smattering of bad staff decisions for as long as I can remember - to the point at which every time I'm robbed is not an immersive interaction, but an idiotic meta-dance rife with /b chat to see who breaks a rule.

Once again, if you feel a robbery is unrealistic and poorly portrayed, you are free to report and it'll be handled. On the flip side of that argument I've seen many robberies that have been roleplayed properly and successfully day after day. The same premise goes with bad staff decisions, we have staff reports for a reason if you disagree with a decision that's being made. This has been how we've viewed robberies for quite some time because as Bospy said, to do otherwise would be a crux to both illegal and legal roleplayers. 

23 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

What of the absurdly low penal sentencing for violent crimes? My proposal to lengthen prison sentences has been waiting for implementation for some time now - and the current state of affairs is anything but realistic. We have to balance realism with fairness for sure, but you can certainly see why a four day sentence for armed robbery inspires perverse incentives, yes?

Meanwhile, something as simple as lifting the prohibition on marijuana achieved through IC means is vetoed due to overwrought concerns about a failed drug market. Can you understand why many players look at these changes and notice a pattern that seems to trend in one particular direction?

I would very much like to see the server aspire for realism across the board - not simply realism when it suits a particular group of players.

Do staff have any intention of attaching serious legal consequences for serious crimes?

This is a continuity questions and answers thread. Your best avenue for questioning regarding your forwarded proposal for lengthened prison sentences relating to violent crimes would be to go through LFM. Continuity has no real bearing in regards to that. I do agree it's important to achieve a balance of realism while remaining fair to both sides. The problem with that is one side will always view it as unfair. If we add systems to balance things out for the legal side, the illegal side will complain about perceived biases (which has happened) and vice-versa. You can never make anyone truly completely happy. We're constantly adjusting things to remain as fair as possible to both sides without sacrificing too much in the way of realism. Serious crimes of course warrant serious offences, but it then becomes a discussion of what is fair and not fair to those on the illegal spectrum of the field who will most likely share distaste and backlash. It's a balancing act, we're consistently working to keep things as fair as possible while sticking to our values of realism. Let's keep it to questions regarding server continuity now, please. Any further questions please reach out.

Actually, and I mean not to be divisive or hostile here, quite a few of us 'illegal' roleplayers (and especially jail roleplayers) have found that there's at least as much opposition from changes to the way jail/crimes/sentencing works from civilian roleplayers as there is from, say, gang roleplayers. A lot of civilian roleplayers find themselves in jail now and then, sometimes for very serious crimes, and absolutely hate it - therefore oppose making the system (including sentences) any harsher.

If you're a civilian roleplayer reading this and disagree with it, it's not something I am applying to everybody. It may not apply to you or people you know. But it does apply to more than you'd think.

What I'm basically trying to say here is that balancing out the jail system is more complex than just the interests of 'legal' v 'illegal'. Everybody has their own opinion and this is why you can never make everybody happy. There's always people who consider it too harsh or too light. LS-RP had over a decade to get this balance right and still apparently didn't, because there was serious debate about this exact issue until the day I left. Probably still is.

Edited by Large Hazard
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nyami said:

Is New York City now called Liberty City? Somebody told me that in game, but I don't see anything about it in the official continuity page.

From the official continuity page:

image.thumb.png.f369973cc960fc777aae71b9079dc3b4.png

Edited by GamingNinjaSheep
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Brett Love said:

Confirming that we are to reference the current RICO act enacted by the us government?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

In reference to this the counselor is citing the 35 crimes listed under RICO.

The courts section actually states the only 2 current federal law/supreme rulings we do not follow. 

image.png.a07434f5627c740e1bd5682817e5963e.png

It's odd that you would result to the continuity questions and answers thread in an attempt to beat me at an in character court case. Hats of to you for initiative though. The RICO act is what actually allows people to be charged with Racketeering, you need one for the other to exist. I'd argue that to not follow the RICO act, you would also need to remove Racketeering as a crime within the San Andreas Penal Code. That's just my logical view however. LFM might say otherwise so I'm interested to see their opinion.

Edited by orangejuice
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, orangejuice said:

The courts section actually states the only 2 current federal law/supreme rulings we do not follow. 

image.png.a07434f5627c740e1bd5682817e5963e.png

It's odd that you would result to the continuity questions and answers thread in an attempt to beat me at an in character court case. Hats of to you for initiative though. The RICO act is what actually allows people to be charged with Racketeering, you need one for the other to exist. I'd argue that to not follow the RICO act, you would also need to remove Racketeering as a crime within the San Andreas Penal Code. That's just my logical view however. LFM might say otherwise so I'm interested to see their opinion.

Yep just confirming bud. But thank you continuity admin. 

Unfortunately, this thread has been derailed, however, it brought up a few good points in regards to continuity and perception of the city and it's different areas;

In regards to that, is there any sort of continuity ruling or history of Los Santos and it's various areas planned to establish a common ground within the community?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.