Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

7 hours ago, Gadzookery said:

Its played in Spring because people want to RP sports right now and telling them they have to wait half a year to play would essentially kill the concept because in GTA:W shit moves fast and people get bored easily, so by the time they're "allowed" to play, just to settle your mind, they'll have moved on. Delaying it until fall will completely kill interest in the concept. There are only two options: Its done now when there's interest and guaranteed people willing to do it, or its not done at all, there isn't a third option here. And if right now you think "Well it shouldn't be done at all" then you have to look inside yourself and ask why something so minor bothers you so much to the point you're willing to ruin a bunch of people's enjoyment and RP and an activity booster for the faction, just to settle your mind.

This isn't a small thing. College football is one of the most popular sporting events in America. If it's going to be done, it needs to be done right, otherwise it'll be noticed very quickly by anyone who actually follows along with the sport, and won't be taken seriously. As of right now, anyone who's watching that page would just think they're having some sort of simulation league to pass the downtime in Spring.

There is a third option, the same option real athletes have who want to play something in Spring... Play a Spring sport. Like baseball. Or, correct the issues I pointed out, and just say ULSA is in a FCS conference. 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, Helm said:

Alright, guys, so... as a huge college football fan IRL, this page seriously irks me for a bunch of reasons: https://face.gta.world/pages/beaversfootball 

1) If COVID-19 is not to be taken ICly, then why is ULSA playing Football in Spring? NCAA Football is a Fall Sport. FBS teams played all of their games in fall. The only reason FCS games are being played in Spring is because of the pandemic. Which means, ICly, there's no reason for ULSA to be playing their games in Spring given we can't roleplay any aspect of the pandemic. There shouldn't be any exception to this rule. In a universe where the pandemic never happened, ULSA would not be playing football in the Spring.

2) Why the heck are TCU and Ohio State in this same made up conference as ULSA? Like, what? Why not just take UCLA's actual conference, the Pac-12, and replace UCLA with USLA? Also, ignoring the COVID thing, you can't mix FCS and FBS teams into a single conference. For one, FCS and FBS teams are entirely different subdivisions of College Football, who play in different styles of conferences, with different ways of determining their overall National Champions. Ohio State and TCU have already played their games this season, as they're FBS teams... what is the excuse for them apparently playing constant football? For two, FCS and FBS teams are entirely different beasts. In general, FBS teams are the high-powered, huge moneymaker teams that the NFL will actively recruit from. FCS teams are generally poorer, smaller colleges that don't put much emphasis towards their sports programs. If you guys want ULSA to be an FCS team, that's fine, but you can't mix them into the same conference as an FBS team.

3) In the pictures shared by the page, they are using actual teams with made-up names. Texas Southern Yee Haws? University of Delaware Swinging Chickens? This makes no sense, and is out of continuity as it's currently understood.

So, my question is this. How much longer is this going to be allowed to go on without correction from admins? 

It's a game, dude. If you get mad over something that happens in a virtual world, you need a pill or two. People are having fun, roleplaying what they want in a fictional world. 

On 2/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, Keane said:

From a continuity perspective, the points you've brought up are correct. Teams shouldn't be made up, nor should there be teams playing against each other that realistically wouldn't. It's not the place of Continuity Management to correct this though as it involves an approved legal faction. I believe @Cheeezy is still the ULSA faction handler so please bring that to his attention. 

The only lore cities currently taken IC are Los Santos and San Fierro. This is because California is the only state that's replaced. So any teams outside of California are considered to be their real life equivalent. For sports teams that exist in California, we're currently discussing what the best choice is for those. For example, the San Fierro 69ers need a proper name as that kind of satire doesn't match what we're aiming for.

I think a lot of this started from players creating sports RP that would be a bit of fun and doesn't impact the rest of the server, but that said, some points while a little purist are valid. If you want to hop on our discord, I'm quite happy to set up a channel with yourself, Cheeezy & the sports guys to help work out some guidelines.

12 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

I think a lot of this started from players creating sports RP that would be a bit of fun and doesn't impact the rest of the server, but that said, some points while a little purist are valid. If you want to hop on our discord, I'm quite happy to set up a channel with yourself, Cheeezy & the sports guys to help work out some guidelines.

Play sports in season, and use real teams and conferences. Take the records UCLA is taking. You do that and it opens up all 11 men's sports and 14 female sports. Get an athletics page up to keep people posted. It keeps it realistic, and doesn't encroach  on actual collegiate sports and their supporters. 

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Dreams & Nightmares said:

It's a game, dude. If you get mad over something that happens in a virtual world, you need a pill or two. People are having fun, roleplaying what they want in a fictional world. 

That's a valid argument, except for the fact that they're breaking the prescribed rules of continuity for our fictional world, making it hard for people who want to interact with that roleplay to do so. 

I'd love to roleplay a college athlete. But even a glance at the effort that went into ensuring USLA's approach was accurate and continuitous makes it not fun. As I've said before, anyone with an inkling of knowledge of college sports will have essentially zero ability to reconcile how ULSA does things with the continuity rules, and with how they're really done. 

• Applaud 1
10 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Play sports in season, and use real teams and conferences. Take the records UCLA is taking. You do that and it opens up all 11 men's sports and 14 female sports. Get an athletics page up to keep people posted. It keeps it realistic, and doesn't encroach  on actual collegiate sports and their supporters. 

Unfortunately, taking sports in season isn’t anything that’s really practical anymore than it is to have real length prison sentences or real election terms etc, there’s always going to have to be some element of non purism involved.

I certainly do think it’s a good idea that ULSA works with both FM & continuity to agree college sports lore here on gta:w & ensure we find the best solution possible.

2 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Unfortunately, taking sports in season isn’t anything that’s really practical anymore than it is to have real length prison sentences or real election terms etc, there’s always going to have to be some element of non purism involved.

I certainly do think it’s a good idea that ULSA works with both FM & continuity to agree college sports lore here on gta:w & ensure we find the best solution possible.

None of that is even comparable. Not even close. We have gambling companies in game who go by seasons for their roleplay. Why can't you? I understand you guys have your football and your basketball schedules set up and you're ready to show everyone how super cool it is. But college football season is over. Basketball is almost over. Baseball just started. There's other sports. Do that. The college sport experience for the people who want to RP a collegiate athlete doesn't end when the season is over. Just the games do. They still practice and work out. Right now colleges are flaunting high and low all of their commits for football season. What's the hold up with you guys doing that on your football page?

Comparing something like a prison term and multi year political office to playing season sports that come every season like clock work, not the same thing. It's not purism. What it is, is people who actually appreciate collegiate sports and have a collegiate past other than ULSA woven into their character's backstory are trying to not be screwed by a system that is self serving and unrealistic. And I get it. You guys want to look active in sports. I commend that. But be active in the sport that's being played even if you don't have active RPers in that realm. Not that hard to grasp.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, Helm said:

otherwise it'll be noticed very quickly by anyone who actually follows along with the sport, and won't be taken seriously. As of right now, anyone who's watching that page would just think they're having some sort of simulation league to pass the downtime in Spring.

That wouldn't be the case due to how little this has been brought up because it's not a key issue. More than likely the people who view it know its a silly ask to have an entire faction wait 8+ months just to get the RP they want/applied for, and that by that point, interest will have severely waned due to the long wait, and that having a sports game in the spring which apparently makes less than a handful of people (well I count 2 people) annoyed is the best alternative in terms of enjoyment for the people wanting to do this. 

18 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

The college sport experience for the people who want to RP a collegiate athlete doesn't end when the season is over. Just the games do. They still practice and work out. 

Its what happened and there were still complaints in the discord. Apparently they shouldn't even be working out or anything judging by that one persons rant on discord, no reports on their workouts either, don't do anything until autumn. And I think the prison and election references were made as they were examples of enjoyment over realism - which as an RP server, enjoyment is key. This is just my opinion but I'd argue it takes priority over realism that realism can be bent sometimes. Obviously not full like magic and aliens and shit but, small stuff like this. prison sentences are shorter than they would be because it would not be enjoyable to have your character have to sit in a prison for 7 - 9 months. At some point you're gonna get very bored and quit the character. Same thing with sports. Expecting them to wait 7 - 9 months is not enjoyable. It guarantees two results: 1) They give up on the character because its "boring" or 2) They end up still playing the character but find something else during the wait that by the time comes around to RP, they're doing other things anyways at that point. And yes that character can do other things other than play games such as work out but I know that if I signed up a sporty student character by month 4 or 5 and I'm still not doing sports team RP which is what I signed up for I'd be pretty bored/pissed off and again, result 1 or 2 comes around.

So I think enjoyment should take priority because its either this way or not at all, and if your option is "It should be not at all" then you should examine why a bunch of people doing something harmless that they enjoy bothers you so much because of this minor "unrealistic" thing that you feel the need to end their enjoyment of said thing. Strike while the iron's hot. People one the server's interest right now is not in baseball as they had trials for that and nobody showed up, its in football, not baseball, or basketball, football. And their interest in football isn't in 10 months, or in 6 months, it's now. So you do it, when people want to do it and are active enough that you can do it, you don't tell them "wait 8 months."

4 minutes ago, Gadzookery said:

That wouldn't be the case due to how little this has been brought up because it's not a key issue. More than likely the people who view it know its a silly ask to have an entire faction wait 8+ months just to get the RP they want/applied for, and that by that point, interest will have severely waned due to the long wait, and that having a sports game in the spring which apparently makes less than a handful of people (well I count 2 people) annoyed is the best alternative in terms of enjoyment for the people wanting to do this. 

Its what happened and there were still complaints in the discord. Apparently they shouldn't even be working out or anything judging by that one persons rant on discord, no reports on their workouts either, don't do anything until autumn. And I think the prison and election references were made as they were examples of enjoyment over realism - which as an RP server, enjoyment is key. This is just my opinion but I'd argue it takes priority over realism that realism can be bent sometimes. Obviously not full like magic and aliens and shit but, small stuff like this. prison sentences are shorter than they would be because it would not be enjoyable to have your character have to sit in a prison for 7 - 9 months. At some point you're gonna get very bored and quit the character. Same thing with sports. Expecting them to wait 7 - 9 months is not enjoyable. It guarantees two results: 1) They give up on the character because its "boring" or 2) They end up still playing the character but find something else during the wait that by the time comes around to RP, they're doing other things anyways at that point. And yes that character can do other things other than play games such as work out but I know that if I signed up a sporty student character by month 4 or 5 and I'm still not doing sports team RP which is what I signed up for I'd be pretty bored/pissed off and again, result 1 or 2 comes around.

So I think enjoyment should take priority because its either this way or not at all, and if your option is "It should be not at all" then you should examine why a bunch of people doing something harmless that they enjoy bothers you so much because of this minor "unrealistic" thing that you feel the need to end their enjoyment of said thing. Strike while the iron's hot. People one the server's interest right now is not in baseball as they had trials for that and nobody showed up, its in football, not baseball, or basketball, football. And their interest in football isn't in 10 months, or in 6 months, it's now. So you do it, when people want to do it and are active enough that you can do it, you don't tell them "wait 8 months."

Right. So, what are the people who's characters support real colleges, franchises, sports teams, players, etc supposed to do if we just allow it all to be made up for the sake of a few people who want to RP a collegiate athlete? Just make up that we're all national champions, we all win March Madness? The Red Sox stay the best team in baseball forever? Dustin Johnson wins the Masters twice in the same year because we don't want to wait for another one?

There's two separate lines that are being drawn here. That's the problem. And nobody wants to address that being the problem. Instead they say "Well, you can't expect us to just wait until the whole world is playing this sport. That's not fun."

For continuity sake, we've killed off lore teams sans the ULSA Beavers and the San Fierro whatever they ares, and it's all real cities, which means all real teams, so there's no reason for the apparently overburdened continuity team to have draw up lore for every city in America. So I'll go back to my original question. If every other team in America, collegiate, pro, amateur, back yard football even can play in a set time period, why can't you? Why is it that for the self serving of a handful of people, you must insist on ruining the continuity of sports for literally anyone else who is interested in sports high or low?

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Right. So, what are the people who's characters support real colleges, franchises, sports teams, players, etc supposed to do if we just allow it all to be made up for the sake of a few people who want to RP a collegiate athlete? Just make up that we're all national champions, we all win March Madness? The Red Sox stay the best team in baseball forever? Dustin Johnson wins the Masters twice in the same year because we don't want to wait for another one?

You're trying to over exaggerate the issue to prove your point by making it seem like entire characters are ruined because of this. I'm extremely aware of what you're trying to do here. In your example, the Red Sox are not a college baseball team. ULSA having a college baseball team and doing fictional reports on their college matches has absolutely zero impact on your character referencing the Boston Red Sox, a professional major league baseball team. Also a team that I haven't personally seen referenced in the history of the server, certainly not to the point in which an entire character would be ruined if their "lore" was changed, which is part of a sport who's entire teams I have never personally seen referenced in the history of the server, again, certainly not to the point in which an entire character would be ruined if "lore" was changed. How do you deal with this? The same way you deal with the fact that apparently California doesn't exist in this universe or something? and apparently San Andreas replaces it. Even though there are songs that play during clubs that reference the state of California. You do the exact same for this sports thing as that, you just ignore it and move on, because like the State of California, the Boston Red Sox aren't so massively interwoven into people's narratives that they completely destroy entire characters if something is changed about them.

1 hour ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So I'll go back to my original question. If every other team in America, collegiate, pro, amateur, back yard football even can play in a set time period, why can't you?

I've already answered this twice but I'll repeat because hey, third times a charm and it might get through to you this time. Strike while the iron's hot. There are people interested in doing this right now. Not in 7 months, not in 10 months, but right now. Having an active amount of members in 7 - 10 months isn't guaranteed. So there's no use waiting 7 - 10 months and risk losing interest just so that its the "realistically correct time", especially when there's interest right now, and enough interest to have a full active team. So you do it while there's interest, just like you would with any faction/sub-faction.

The reason that the current sports teams can't play in a set time period is becuase, this might be a shocker to you, they're not actually a sports team in reality, they're a random person roleplaying a college athlete on a sports team. So while actual college, pro, amateur etc. athletes focus their lives around either playing the football season or prepping for it, because thats their life, the people RPing college athletes on this game have this other thing called, real life, where they can't spend all their time RPing training and team building, and studying other things, and prepping for the football season, and recruiting, because they have other obligations in this thing known as real life. This is a roleplaying game that people play for entertainment purposes, and waiting around for the "realistically correct time" is not entertaining, and is also time consuming, time that a lot of people may not have due to real life. And because this is NOT real life, you give yourself certain liberties, specifically liberties that make the process of whatever you're roleplaying more entertaining, such as time skipping the boring parts, such as, waiting for games to be in season. In real life, sadly, we can't time skip. If we did, I'm sure many of us would skip the boring parts, or the work related parts, and get to the fun parts, including athletes. They'd skip the waiting period and go to the playing period. You also have to realise that pros and college athletes IRL essentially play for work, while we're playing for well.. play. Work isn't always fun, and you have to endure the not fun parts because it's work. As a bunch of people just RPing a college athlete, they don't have to endure the not fun parts, we can get to the parts we want to the most e.g. playing the sports, because since RPing sports its a form of entertainment, it should be as entertaining as possible for the person RPing the sport. And not being able to do the sport until the autumn, isn't entertaining, in fact it's stagnating on character development, which is a big priority on this server.

My next point. Also as characters people are playing for character development and don't wish to wait like 7 months just to even START their development, its far easier to just have the football games be now, even if it isn't "realistic." (as opposed to everything else on this server being hyper realistic right?) they wanna get through their development and plans for the character ASAP, again, for entertainment purposes, so thats another reason they can't play at a set time because it's also for developmental reasons too. And expecting them to change their entire RP schedule and risk losing active members and risk just even abandoning the concept because people are impatient and won't wanna sign up to something that requires that much dedication, all purely because when you read the report you randomly and weirdly got miffed it said "September" is a pretty dumb thing to do IMO.

These reasons are the exact same reasons as to why we don't RP prison sentences being a year+ and have them be days maximum, why people RP going from 16 - 20 years old in like a year, why people RP going from interns who are rookies to high ranking paramedics/police officers in like 6 months, why politicians are only in office for like a year, why people can go from rookie politicians to senators in like 3 months, why ULSA students go from Freshmen to graduates in 6 months, why people go from dirt poor to millionaires in a month, why people go from like single to married in like 2 weeks it seems. If you have zero issues with any of these, then by default you can NOT have an issue with the sports team thing as they're doing what they're doing, which is playing the games out of season and not waiting ALL the way to autumn just so they can actually play, for the exact same reasons that these other examples time skip - because fun is priority. And if you don't like the way these other factions handle realism and time skipping either, then you're not on the right server.

So I guess I'll pose this question back after typing up every single way I can think of for the reason why they're playing in March not September which is apparently the most important thing in the world now, if all these examples are able to time skip and not play in a set period, why can't the sports teams?

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.