Continuity Questions & Answers

Keane

In lights of the linked thread, it might be interesting to know how "NPC" traffic and population is handled on the server - do we consider the roads and/or sidewalks filled with people? 

How do we go about with them, are they passive or active?

If active, how does it stand with NPC calls? They show up every third moon on the emergency call record, but how are they hadled or roleplayed?

And how do we generally go about the day/night cycle and the server's environment? Not everyone on the server is able to play 24h and usually settle at a specific timezone / time of the day where they are able to log on the server and play - some in the morning, others in the afternoon/evening and others exclusively at night.

So when are we having a rule to prevent people from RPing gangs with Cali related street numbers (i.e XY Rollin Crips) and instead having our own street numbers to prevent metagaming Cali gang history IG?

An example of a very simple map to enforce is this:

b49a0d-image%25202-min.png&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by maramizo
9 minutes ago, maramizo said:

So when are we having a rule to prevent people from RPing gangs with Cali related street numbers (i.e XY Rollin Crips) and instead having our own street numbers to prevent metagaming Cali gang history IG?

An example of a very simple map to enforce is this:

i dont particularly think that's needed.

2 hours ago, Garras Up said:

i dont particularly think that's needed.

until people make random alts claiming to rep random sets that IRL have beef with the set you portray just to get a reaction. entire thing is an MG fest and allows for meaningless provoking

8 hours ago, maramizo said:

until people make random alts claiming to rep random sets that IRL have beef with the set you portray just to get a reaction. entire thing is an MG fest and allows for meaningless provoking

That can be reported easily, though. NTM that I dont think many players actually care if someone RP's a member of a set their gang beefs with and they run into eachother. Most gang rpers would see it as an opportunity to rp, not as provoking.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:28 AM, Large Hazard said:

This thread has highlighted the issue with trying to nail certain things down. There are some things that should just be left as grey areas because they don't have a perfect answer. Distance is an example. Time is another. We do a lot of things during the server's night that would really be done during the day, but you don't mention it because that's just how it is and it'd be weird to do so.

Some things are best left unexplained.

If we're taking about how people don't give a damn about /weather...then yeah, lets not talk about it.
But when making huge decisions that will impact the playerbase, then it has to be set in stone. One rule for everyone to follow.
Leaving things like time/space ratio unanswered, will create a huge confusion for everyone. As I said...I don't care what route we take, but we have to decide for a route.

4 hours ago, Garras Up said:

That can be reported easily, though. NTM that I dont think many players actually care if someone RP's a member of a set their gang beefs with and they run into eachother. Most gang rpers would see it as an opportunity to rp, not as provoking.

depends on how it happens, but for the most part, creating gangs and basing their heritage on an IRL counterpart is lacking and shows how little someone is willing to create their own culture IG.

Edited by maramizo
4 minutes ago, maramizo said:

depends on how it happens, but for the most part, creating gangs and basing their heritage on an IRL counterpart is lacking and shows how little someone is willing to create their own culture IG.

Creating an original concept is difficult enough for most people (and with good reason), let alone a Sureño varrio. It would require a detailed understanding of how those gangs truly function (not just an understanding of how to make a gang faction) and a good grasp of history in order to create an original varrio with a convincing background and culture. Truth be told I found it rare enough to find players like that on LS-RP, where the gang roleplayers consider themselves the supreme almighty. Leaving my opinion on that aside, that server did in general have a lot more experience with things simply by virtue of its age. It would be even rarer to find that kind of experience here, where gang roleplay is still pretty much in its infancy and experience is scattered.

Basing a gang on an irl counterpart gives you a lot to work with as a faction. I think it's perfectly fine. Of course, creating a faction based on an irl gang that beefs with another irl gang that an existing faction is based on, just to fight with them, would be pretty lame (unless you discussed it OOC with that other faction first and they welcomed the idea).

8 minutes ago, maramizo said:

This has always been an issue, not only for gang sets.

Just a little historical excurs here :

Spoiler

Back when we roleplayed in Mount&Blade Warband, we had a similar standard for faction creation, with half the people making their own faction themed as whatever (Noble House, Band of Robbers, Sellswords, peasants, w/e), and the other half picking inspiration from either their irl history research, or a popular fantasy theme.

Besides portraying whatever, obviously the second route had the mentioned meta-effect that people tried to use a historical groups'/person's name to attract people to their faction (and yes indeed, regardless of how well the portray was, but that is besides the point).

On stricter, more immersive servers we thus established rules explicitly prohibiting historical names and factions except for what we had on ingame lore (Warband's native factions as backing kingdoms of our nobles), and new player created crews (again, noble houses, robbers, peantry, tavern owners, whatever).

On less strict servers, eventually we had Houses Stark and Lannister evolving as dominating factions when Game of Thrones hyped 2012-14, and everyone having to find their place in that war. They could offer constant war, and a halfway plausible portrayal (Starks pretended to play nice, Lannisters openly robbing everybody), which might not have been too high of a standard but did the trick for back then.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, lambchops said:

"Other brands compliment real life. There is not enough depth to the majority of brands outside of car brands for us to take them in-character alone. As a result, other brands exist alongside Rockstar brands. Brands that are obviously satire (eg. Pisswasser) can be seen as lower quality brands. "

You just lack any sense for fashion 😉 People do sell and buy Covgari, Didier Sachs, Hawaiian Snow, Homme Gina and various other lore brands, just saying, it's not just cars 😁

• mj2002 locked this topic
  • Keane unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.