Insurance Impounds (Suspended License???)

Ratlady

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks guys. Just wanted to have a discussion about this, and I think it's something that should be looked at again later for people that don't just fuck off their characters on a daily basis, to be quite frank!

❤️

PS: Also, the LSPD site is absolutely broken for me. I can't login whatsoever. So appeals are out the window for me. 

Edited by AmeliaStruss
37 minutes ago, AmeliaStruss said:

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks guys. Just wanted to have a discussion about this, and I think it's something that should be looked at again later for people that don't just fuck off their characters on a daily basis, to be quite frank!

❤️

PS: Also, the LSPD site is absolutely broken for me. I can't login whatsoever. So appeals are out the window for me. 

Appealing a ticket or whatever is done here on the main forums. 

also the LSPD forums are fine, should be at least. What’s it telling you?

The problem with this is that IRL I think most insurance policies will automatically renew. At least with mine, if I "forget" to pay my insurance, my insurance company will automatically renew it, albeit at a higher premium. Companies /want/ you to forget it so they can sneakily get more money from you.

Anyway, in terms of our universe this is a bit harsh. You can say it's IC and things like that. You only get an insurance reminder when you /vget your vehicle. You don't get a warning BEFORE it expires. Does it expire on server restart or does it expire 31 days to the HOUR it was paid? If it's the latter than that's an issue as people can be innocently driving around with no insurance. 

I'm sure your case is not a common thing and was just bad luck, but it kind of sucks to take your license. Your license shouldn't be taken for not having an insured vehicle that's parked on the street. Maybe some lieancy could be applied if it's only one day out of insurance. 

You should definitely fight it ICly too but I do sympathies with you on an OOC level because of HOW the insurance system works here. IRL insurance doesn't magically disappear and you're not aware of it, we only get a message the next day when we /vget again. And please please don't scream "well u shud be responsible and write it down on a sticky note blah blah", it's still a game and unless you're running a fleet of vehicles the average player isn't going to do this. 

A good idea though to combat the insurance system is sync your insurance renewing with the start of every month. That's what i've done, tomorrow i'm going to insurance all my cars for 28 days to cover only February so I know the 1st of every month I need to insure the fleet.  

It sucks, I know. It's the same when you legally park your car and someone desyncs your car into the street then you get a ticket for it i guess 😞

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Late said:

The problem with this is that IRL I think most insurance policies will automatically renew. At least with mine, if I "forget" to pay my insurance, my insurance company will automatically renew it, albeit at a higher premium. Companies /want/ you to forget it so they can sneakily get more money from you.

I am with Geico IRL. I have it automatically paid every month by card, so there's no forgetting at all. I haven't logged onto my insurance website/app in months lol. I just check to make sure the amount looks correct on my card statement and that's it.

Could be cool to allow some sort of command to enable automatic payments through /banktransfer or something like that when it runs out while you're still online. I don't know how that works script wise, but it would be cool. We do live in an age where technology can pretty much handle everything 😅

Edited by Sixty
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Late said:

The problem with this is that IRL.... 😞

5 hours ago, Sixty said:

I am with Geico IRL. ....

THANK YOU. lmao. Literally what I wanted to hear. I get it's a game, and we have to have certain things work certain ways for the system to be efficient, but come on. I'm on day 2 with no license and it's like my character is on pause for the most part, lol. My whole avocation/vocation both rely on vehicular transportation, as is with many of us! 😄

Appreciate the support and feedback. 🙂

On 1/31/2021 at 6:42 AM, Engelbert said:

Which is why I said what they did belongs to Powergaming section, cause in my opinion....it does. They cannot tow your car if you cannot be reached in the game. They can only issue you a ticket and that's it.

.... What?

If you're in Sandy Shores and your car is parked terribly all the way down at LSIA, it will get towed and impounded.

This is no exception, IC road laws are enforced regardless of you being near or not. Or even online. It is not PD's position to verify someone is online before taking action.

On 1/31/2021 at 5:52 AM, AmeliaStruss said:

I understand the thread. I don't know if I agree with the impound as I wasn't the person who impounded it.

However, SA road laws state that an uninsured vehicle is not legally allowed to be driven or parked on a public roadside or public parking lot. However, there is nothing stopping you from parking or driving on private property.

Parking on a public road with expired insurance tags can lead to a fine, vehicle impound & a license suspension on the first offense.

The impound&license suspension might have had harsh results for you, but these consequences, again, can be RPed IC. Not having a car / driver's license can lead to RP. You can call a taxi, ask a friend to drive you, carpool to work and so on.

If anything, it could motivate your character IC to:
Contest the ticket, license suspension&impound in court;

File a report on the officer because you feel like the impound is unjustified;

Petition the state legislature for a change in the penal code, to prevent others from being faced with such harsh consequences in the future.

Going out on the forums is unlikely to change anything as this is, actually, one of those issues which is entirely IC.

I understand your concern, however. And I appreciate you making this thread. But it will simply not lead anywhere.

Though I'd support any change into the ridiculous insurance system we have.

Edited by BjornV
On 1/31/2021 at 7:32 AM, Engelbert said:

Actually it is completely believeable, unrealistic or not. The law states that insurance must be valid even if the car is parked. What's illogical though, is that why they decided to randomly check the plate and then towed the vehicle. Normally owner must be contacted before such action. As you were offline, they actually commited powergaming in my opinion, cause they did not leave you any option to react. You see another reason why I always /vpark my cars before logging.

Unless parked on PRIVATE PROPERTY, then it can have 0 insurance. If it's on public it is mandatory to have insurance. Suspending a license though, a bit rough.

23 hours ago, Sixty said:

I am with Geico IRL. I have it automatically paid every month by card, so there's no forgetting at all. I haven't logged onto my insurance website/app in months lol. I just check to make sure the amount looks correct on my card statement and that's it.

Could be cool to allow some sort of command to enable automatic payments through /banktransfer or something like that when it runs out while you're still online. I don't know how that works script wise, but it would be cool. We do live in an age where technology can pretty much handle everything 😅

The insurance system needs a bit of a rework.. a few things I'd love to see is:

• Automated payment system with notification like 3 days prior similar with donator status
  • Ability to extend insurance that is currently valid up to 31 days.

Take a look at this. They did what the law says, and unfortunately, if you do not pay your insurance bills and park your vehicle in a public road, they will punish you for it and also suspend your license. Kind of realistic we may all think, but it's what the law explains for unregistered, uninsured vehicles being driven or parked in public roads.

image.png.e77b59f31e73aa6672a3823c309670a1.png