[LSNN] City News: A New Prosperity in New Chinatown

Al-Malikah

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

A New Prosperity in New Chinatown

BY RANA KHATI

image.pngNew Chinatown by night.

Learning about the different developing communities throughout Los Santos is a rewarding experience for any journalist and LSNN aims to provide you with an inside scoop on how the vibrant diverse communities of Los Santos form, grow, and flourish. Rana Khati took a stroll through the area revently dubbed "New Chinatown", formerly Textile City, and spoke with a group of gentlemen relaxing outside of a local shop, "Lace of Diamonds" 

Mister Ray Meng, gave us some valuable insight into the particular journey his community has made and where they see themselves moving forward.

Rana Khati: How would you identify the community you hang out with most?

Mr. Ray Meng: Well, you're in it- New Chinatown.

Rana Khati: What are the biggest barriers to your prosperity. What have they traditionally been for you and others in the community moving into New Chinatown?
Mr. Ray Meng: Well, this place has some history, you know? One of a struggle to survive, the neighborhood as a whole. We're just recently getting started again after uh... Moving out of Koreatown, the rest of the Chinese community, as well. Old Chinatown's not too far from here, just up north, where they built all the subway junctions and the skyscrapers.

Rana Khati: Ah, so city development paved over your collective home.

* Ray Meng nods his head.

Rana Khati: And the struggles you've experienced are from trying to simply find a home to work and live in, but surely that sort of migration has lended itself to tensions between communities?
Mr. Ray Meng: Oh, of course- People gave us all sorts of grief, back in the other [neighborhood. But] Chinatown's been here since the start- This side of the City, at least- We've moved in and out, in and out- This is just the most recent revitalization movement.

Rana Khati: What makes this time different?

Mr. Ray Meng: Well- If I'm honest? Nothing. Perhaps the acceptance of those who sit here now, we're relatively settled, now we just have to hold on, let people root themselves here. The white and Hispanic community here have been relatively accepting. And uh- I don't wanna name names. But- Really, this place... Chinatown, [has had it’s] up's and down's

I'm a Fukien-American Association man myself, my dad, he was the president for a good fifteen years until he passed, my uncle's just begun. We all came over about... 2005, the Association did- Growing Fukien-American community, all of that, we came to support them getting settled into Old Chinatown... If you do your research, that fell during the 2008 Economic Crisis, the housing market…

Rana Khati: The different cultural groups of Los Santos have different ways of mediating internal conflicts. How would you say this community resolves it's internal grievances?
Mr. Ray Meng: Well... This place isn't… violent. We're all family, here. Everyone's related in one way or another. Not literally, but- Everyone grew up together.

Rana Khati: Yet as I know from being a mother of two boys... even family can squabble.

Mr. Ray Meng: Mmh- It's usually handled by... Parental figures, related or not.

Rana Khati: Crime hits different communities in different ways... being so close to a police station in this new eden of yours... Do you find that comforting? Do you feel more protected than your previous locations?

Mr. Ray Meng: ...Mmh- Police in this area attract more trouble than it's worth, I'd say. Loud sirens at night while everyone's trying to sleep. Launching helicopters from their...' roof but- It's safe, I guess.

Rana Khati: Would you say that most crime in this area comes from outside?

Mr. Ray Meng: Definitely. This place? Clean. Like I said, everyone knows each other.

Rana Khati: Are there any public officials or figureheads you can say are looking out for the needs of the Chinatown community?

Mr. Ray Meng: Well, boys- Am I looking out for you? 

Young men nod in agreement enthusiastically.

A young man: Mistah Meng? Humble man.

Another young man: We're very fortunate to have men like Mister Meng in our community, you see? A driven businessman committed to New Chinatown.

Rana Khati: Haha, then maybe you will run for office soon?

Mr. Ray Meng: Mmh- I'm not too keen on office- My responsibility is here.

Rana Khati: In [a few] words, what do you see for the future of New Chinatown?
Mr. Ray Meng: Well? I see a vibrant new community, perhaps the words 'Mission Row' and 'Textile City' never muttered again.

RK: Thank you for your time

Mister Meng alluded that the community in New Chinatown already has had great relations with various neighboring communities but he anticipates greater prosperity and fellowship as the community further develops the area. 

maxresdefault.jpg

New Chinatown by day.

Y8l4IDT.png

2OyH6Zd.png

Edited by Al-Malikah
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic