Corrupt LSPD

TomRom97

1 minute ago, ThomasNoman said:

I had a guy from LSPD stopped me a while ago, but then a second later asking for my info, for some weird reasons I don't know either, he said "I gotta respond to a call" and went in their cruiser, turned lights and sirens and drove away. I then followed the cruiser for a bit after only a couple of intersections, seeing the vehicle in non emergency state like nothing happened.

backup call, pursuit call that he/she responds to, but gets terminated for whatever reason.

Common, nothing corrupt about it.

I roleplayed a corrupt Sergeant in the Sheriff's Department for roughly three months before I started to dread coming in-game because nobody would report my character for his fucked up misdeeds and roleplaying a sociopath in that environment can be grating, I would not have fun approaching every scene with the mindset of "What's the worst thing someone could do here?" I have no problems roleplaying a criminal, but a corrupt cop who beats the shit out of people in handcuffs is annoying to RP. Eventually you start to realize that as you escalate your character's behaviors, there has to be a crescendo end to it all. Police brutality is fucked up, let's just put it that way - go watch the video of the LAPD officer beating the shit out of a handcuffed Hispanic gang member for no reason and tell me that's something you want to RP every day. It wasn't an every day occurrence, but the roleplay was often heinous enough for me to want to call it quits.

Bribing police to get out of a traffic stop is a very bad idea in the United States and basically never happens in the modern era, at least since Serpico, that's highly unrealistic and something I would never support. As a disclaimer, realistic police corruption is very depressing and something that shouldn't be romanticized under any circumstance, I think corrupt police officers are terrible people who should be cashiered and drummed out in front of their entire departments. That being said, the vast majority of police corruption concerns things like domestic abuse, drunk driving, or overuse of force. People utilizing their position for predatory purposes (such as profiting off of a criminal enterprise) are even more rare and almost always involves stuff that isn't really lucrative or fun, there's too much oversight for a cop in a city like LA to take bribes on a traffic stop. When we talk about shithead cops abusing their badge and violating their oaths, typically they do dumb shit like food stamp fraud or flipping seized drugs. I tried to portray a realistic criminally corrupt character - you really need to drag the darkest parts of yourself out in order to do it right. He was never going to get caught so I eventually had him arrested by the FBI on an NPC basis.

Police corruption exists on the server in droves in the Sheriff's Department, and I've seen corrupt LSPD officers just as well. I would argue we could do with less corruption in some cases. People who RP being corrupt for the sake of it are doing it with the wrong intentions and most often end up portraying a cinema version of corruption like something out of Training Day. In reality, just like normal crime, there's nothing glamorous about it. I think only experienced roleplayers should try corruption roleplay, otherwise you're bound for trouble.

Edited by Bospy
  • Upvote 9
  • Applaud 1

You never see corrupt offices because they're not allowed to do much. If you want to go above roughing up a suspect or having some weed, you need to have corruption perms from the Chief of Police, and LFM I believe.

In my two years I have never seen anyone with corruption perms. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Bospy said:

-snip-

Couldn't you have corruption perms on the back-burner so the option's there whenever the RP might call for it?

From an outsider's perspective it's either BIG BAD EVIL COP or GOOD GUY COP, I've never really seen players speak on corrupt officers using their perms for more grounded "realistic" situations on typically "good" cops - roughing up mouthy suspects, intentionally damaging their property, etc - it all seems black and white, no grey. 

I won't air out our specific issues with our corruption system at length (which is fortunately being revised), but in short, it's very hard to get consistent permission for any pattern of behaviour in the LSPD, and there's no set system in place other than "contact high up people". It's outdated and being worked upon. The LSSD has a much more clear system that allows more people to apply, from my understanding, and therefore they have a lot more corrupt roleplay.

Edited by Sabess
Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Couldn't you have corruption perms on the back-burner so the option's there whenever the RP might call for it?

From an outsider's perspective it's either BIG BAD EVIL COP or GOOD GUY COP, I've never really seen players speak on corrupt officers using their perms for more grounded "realistic" situations on typically "good" cops - roughing up mouthy suspects, intentionally damaging their property, etc - it all seems black and white, no grey. 

Yes, in SD we have a "tier" system, there's three tiers of corruption in SD. You can be incorruptible (which is zero) all the way up to 1-3. Anyone can be tier 1 within reason, tier 2 requires a special application and is what I would call a "grass eater." Tier 3 are meat-eaters, hardcore criminals. I was the only person in SD with tier 3 corruption.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Bospy said:

Yes, in SD we have a "tier" system, there's three tiers of corruption in SD. You can be incorruptible (which is zero) all the way up to 1-3. Anyone can be tier 1 within reason, tier 2 requires a special application and is what I would call a "grass eater." Tier 3 are meat-eaters, hardcore criminals. I was the only person in SD with tier 3 corruption.

And I'm guessing PD's whole system is different? Not the topic for it and I'll leave it at this but even in the replies here I've heard it's all pushed to be very clean OOC and you're discouraged from it, it's what gives off the whole "IC moderators" vibe opposed to SD's more lax and authentic representation.

5 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

And I'm guessing PD's whole system is different? Not the topic for it and I'll leave it at this but even in the replies here I've heard it's all pushed to be very clean OOC and you're discouraged from it, it's what gives off the whole "IC moderators" vibe opposed to SD's more lax and authentic representation.

Correct, we have no such tier system. Just a vague "ask permission" thing that works fine for singular incidents but makes it difficult to get more general permissions.