Defining good roleplay

Phased
Message added by effion,

Please ensure you're having a civil discussion otherwise forum punishments will be issued. Don't post to troll, flame or derail the topic.

I beg to differ, when it comes to short and consise mes. It all depends on the situation roleplayers find themselves in.

For instance, garage. A mechanic simply cannot afford doing short mes cause the descriptive roleplay is required there. Just as it is required, everywhere, where a product that's being sold is your work and effort. Especially those, that take time. Like tattooing someone, yes yes I know, it's a but a game. That is why I always try to pack several hours long process into 60 minutes or bit beyond. But that also requires descriptive emotes, cause the person on receiving end has to roleplay as well. So you cannot just let it go with /me pulls down all four wheels and changes the rims on them. No it takes time. Good roleplay is finding the middle ground so everyone can be entertained, without feeling being forced to something, or without senseless extensions. You know like movies try to build up to a plot finale, but sometimes they go overboard and fill the last moments before the finale with stupid stuff.

Edited by Engelbert

I think that there should be a balance. People should generally be somewhat descriptive when performing certain actions especially in front of others. Being descriptive can really set the mood for engaging roleplay, whereas seeing ‘/me does X’ so often from someone can sometimes be off putting. Again, as others said, putting things into context is required. Sometimes a short ‘/me hands X the paper’ is enough, however ‘/me bakes the pie’ is certainly poor roleplay. What helps me be descriptive are scenes that are rather calm. That’s usually the case for civilian RP anyways.

• Upvote 1

Could be a git gud situation but I find over the top purple painting emotes even in enclosed areas a little intimidating at times - makes you feel like you need to catch up and match their quality and/or word count which normally ends in you stumbling over your words and rewriting entire /me's because you don't want to come across a drag.

I feel a good RP'er is someone who's approachable and straight to the point with their emotes, a little bit of flair on the side to bring their characters to life but not constantly making you feel the need to catch up and go above and beyond to match their output. maybethat'sjustmethough

4 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Could be a git gud situation but I find over the top purple painting emotes even in enclosed areas a little intimidating at times - makes you feel like you need to catch up and match their quality and/or word count which normally ends in you stumbling over your words and rewriting entire /me's because you don't want to come across a drag.

I feel a good RP'er is someone who's approachable and straight to the point with their emotes, a little bit of flair on the side to bring their characters to life but not constantly making you feel the need to catch up and go above and beyond to match their output. maybethat'sjustmethough

It all depends on situation, in some situations long and descriptive emotes are required. Especially if you are creating or making a product of any kind.

It's been a while since I've commented on this, but I'm seeing a lot of similar themes in the replies.

I have one primary question.   Why do people expect a novella for a /me when they visit a mechanic, or see a cake being baked? Would you not rather have that person hold a conversation?

If I go to a restaurant in real life I want to talk to a waiter, not watch how he writes down what I order.   If I go to the barbers I want to have a conversation while I get my hair cut, I don't want to stare intently at what he's doing. Why doesn't that translate into roleplay?

I can't be in the minority in saying I'd rather these people shouldn't have to whack out the thesaurus to change a tire when they could be providing monumentally better roleplay through conversation.

1 minute ago, Syke said:

It's been a while since I've commented on this, but I'm seeing a lot of similar themes in the replies.

I have one primary question.   Why do people expect a novella for a /me when they visit a mechanic, or see a cake being baked? Would you not rather have that person hold a conversation?

If I go to a restaurant in real life I want to talk to a waiter, not watch how he writes down what I order.   If I go to the barbers I want to have a conversation while I get my hair cut, I don't want to stare intently at what he's doing. Why doesn't that translate into roleplay?

I can't be in the minority in saying I'd rather these people shouldn't have to whack out the thesaurus to change a tire when they could be providing monumentally better roleplay through conversation.

couldn't agree more. what a person says is 100x more interesting than applying tints to a window in perfect detail.

3 minutes ago, Syke said:

Do you often talk to a mechanic or a waiter in a restaurant? It's roleplay, you are supposed to change tires as a mechanic, not to talk to the client, who usually isn't even present irl. 

Just now, Engelbert said:

Do you often talk to a mechanic or a waiter in a restaurant? It's roleplay, you are supposed to change tires as a mechanic, not to talk to the client, who usually isn't even present irl. 

Literally every time I'm in a mechanics garage I speak to the mechanics, when I'm near the waiter, if I'm not in conversation with the people I'm eating with I speak to the staff.   Same as when maintenance are in my flat, or if I'm getting parcels from the mail room in my building.    It's part of being a decent person lol.

2 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

but writing out four 250 character paragraphs for each tire isn't interesting to anybody. if you can't make the more boring aspects of life fun through rp what's the point?

• Wuhtah locked this topic