Escalation in GTA:W.

Vincent

In regards to the OP, I mean the gross misuse of it, however, hearing stances on it in general is good to see where everyone else is at mentally, to see what is and what isn't accepted in our community [which should be obvious to most, but it's not to some].

I for one, without going into too-much detail, believe that it's all too common, and I've experienced it various times from swarms of different people. The non-realistic approach to escalating something far more than it would've ever reached organically makes little to no sense to me. I for one, use to always be prone to violence and mayhem, but that usually kills any chance of interesting RP off with whoever you're RPing with, and since then have actively tried to steer more towards keeping the situation where it is without escalation.

I can say, it's justified in some circumstances, and sometimes is down-right required. But to take something like, for example, an insult, and escalate that into a shooting? It's rather silly. Or, say, you spit on someone, and the instant response to being spat on is to pull out your Glock 17 with several attachments in a 500k+ interior because someone did something rude/disrespectful to you? Are these valid reasons? What makes them invalid? How would you react personally? 

Edited by Vincent

Escalation is a big problem we have here, mere fist fights turn into people pulling their guns out and and shooting a place up in "fear of death". Fist fights should be more of a common thing, build up beef with people and MAYBE in the future escalate to harsher crimes, or intent to murder. People seem to have the mindset that if you get beat up and downed that you're gonna be dead, but... No. People don't get killed during fist fights for stupid reasons, and it shouldn't be RP'd that way. Ah Shit i'm lackin-.. My ass.. Is getting beat, Get.. The GAT!...

please help

• Upvote 1

Agree with ayame and the OP, it generally feels like it's relatively rare to find conflict that doesn't escalate into either a shootout or a profound grudge over some petty argument that ends with people vowing to kill the offender. Beef that could be really interesting and generate rivalry and a nice story ends up turning into a game of who can bring in more homies in a 4 door care and who will fold against the opposing group's escalation.

I also understand that in RP escalation is generally quicker because that's just how the thing goes, but I feel odd OOCly wondering if someone is just going to kill my pretty much fully legal character that is generally agreeable and an overal Good Guy™ because he happened to say something slightly too goofy to the wrong person.

I'm not american, so obviously my experience doesn't translate to GTAW's setting, but I grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of feuds between families, and even if things escalated, it's not like people were openly shooting at each other every other day. This is a tricky issue, because I think the PK system has a lot to do with the degree of escalation. Even if you try your best to not take the existence of PKs into account, I'm sure that a lot of people would think twice before escalating if they weren't there (which doesn't mean I advocate for them disappearing, just voicing an opinion on what I think one of the factors is).

Had a situation where a Character entered my bar, smashed a buddy across the head with a bottle. We responded by forcing him to the ground, and mocking him. My Character pulled a gun out as they belittled him mostly as intimidation factor and to get him to calm down.

Later him and two of his buddies stormed bar my with intent to kill me. It was neat.

1 hour ago, ThomasNoman said:

Honestly, you should be happy as it is here, lol. I've been in voice Rage:MP servers and gangs with 10 sport cars would follow a police car to provoke them and start a shootout for that.

Did you just compare text rp to voice rp servers? Lol.

Thing is.. you'll always have these type of characters around, even in the real world - you got the attitude-wanna-be-tough-guys. During my time as a bouncer, I've seen and met dozens of these dudes, they act like somebody important in their mind and expect to be treated with respect or they gonna call up their buddies if you don't do it their way. Of course, nobody have pulled a gun on me (yet, hehe) , but it did come to the point where we had to call the cops when moron had few people coming over when he was thrown out for being too rude to the staff. And trust me, the dude was escalating it to the point where he began to threat with a dagger.

And that's just some idiot , now imagine when its a drug user or some gang-member whose brains been washed and all he knows is how to be feared due to his background and he'll expect things go his-way. Like many before me have said, simply avoid the confrontation - talk your way out of it and cooperate. That's the only play you'd have in the real world anyways, there can be real pervasive people out there, and they'll basically look at it..as you'd be "Stupid" or not understand your perspective, because in their little minds - they aren't doing nothing wrong. #Criminal Mind

Sure, these kind of interactions may ruin your experience, but your ruining it for yourself. The role-play was never written "It'll go your way and any way you expect it to go" - sure, if your a script-roleplayed, that sets things up like Hollywood director and everything falls into a perfect order and be a complete sell-out roleplayer, otherwise.. its all about "Going with the flow", you got mugged or situation escalated to a point where a guy put a 9mm in your stomach? Trust me, people get shot and killed for way less here in USA, waaaaaaaay less.  So in a way, it didn't ruin no "interesting RP", your just looking at it from a wrong perspective, it just didn't go "your-way" because you was out-powered so to speak and someone came on top in this scenario, but don't mix the interesting RP being ruined by a mugger or somone seeking for trouble, that´s just how society is today - you don't hear much about it , because people are afraid to talk about it as the dude might come after them again, specially when you was jacked / threaten in your own neighborhood, you wouldn't wanna provoke the lunatic and he'd come back looking, that's how people get killed.

Edited by Emmanuel_Lorras