Official rule on /showitems

Cypher

Quoting @mj2002 from a report, I hope you don't mind. I think this is brilliant and should be made an absolute standard here to drive the point home before it gets to a player report. I'd suggest adding this to the rules somewhere.

Demanding to see /showitems before the robbery act is over serves as a motivation for you to metagame. Don't do it. Alternatively, you can ask for /showitems when your character(s) are leaving the scene. This way, you can provide evidence for a /report if this there are concerns, and absolve yourselves of any hint of metagaming by not acting on it ICly.

As it stands, you see stuff like:

"/me searches victim's pockets and then quickly pats their waistline for anything sticking out.... /b showitems" like it's an automatic behavior and expected by the robber.

A new rule addition should state that once the entire RP scenario has concluded, AFTER the victim has handed items over to you, and once you are about to leave the scene, then you can ask for /showitems as a burden of proof. This eliminates any potential metagaming on the robber's end potentially seeing someone's inventory too early and forces the victim to stay honest during the robbery. If the person refuses to show items at that point, then you should obviously make a report.

Edited by Cypher
  • Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Oh no it forces them to actually roleplay, but it's okay. I support this. But people are usually called out on stalling if they don't do /showitems as first thing.

Don't get me started on the 'stalling' accusations. That's guaranteed to kill any motivation I have to RP just because the robbers think the scene should take 3 minutes. It's pathetic that a player would get accused of stalling while trying to type something that isn't a one-word emote on a HEAVY-RP SERVER.  Maybe instead of rushing the scene out of fear of being caught, the robbers should make better choices about who/when/where they choose to rob.  

But that's neither here nor there...

I think MJ's suggestion is a brilliant compromise.  I've learned not to /showitems on request because of a bad experience I had with a robber MG'ing me, but I can definitely understand a robber's hesitation to take a person on their word. Some players are honest, others aren't.  MJ's suggestion is fair to both parties.  The point is to prevent MG, so after the scene is concluded there should be no issue with showing items.  

Edited by Taina
3 minutes ago, Taina said:

Don't get me started on the 'stalling' accusations. That's guaranteed to kill any motivation I have to RP just because the robbers think the scene should take 3 minutes. It's pathetic that a player would get accused of stalling while trying to type something that isn't a one-word emote on a HEAVY-RP SERVER.  Maybe instead of rushing the scene out of fear of being caught, the robbers should make better choices about who/when/where they choose to rob.  

But that's neither here nor there...

I think MJ's suggestion is a brilliant compromise.  I've learned not to /showitems on request because of a bad experience I had with a robber MG'ing me, but I can definitely understand a robber's hesitation to take a person on their word. Some players are honest, others aren't.  MJ's suggestion is fair to both parties.  The point is to prevent MG, so after the scene is concluded there should be no issue with showing items.  

There are many ways how to rp a robbery properly. And easy ways I might add.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 1:45 AM, Topiyo said:

Robbed a few people before. They've lied about the items they had on them. One even had an entire pump shotgun and had to be admin-jailed. I'd love for /showitems to be necessary after a robbery is complete. Definitely supporting the addition.

the issue with that is that if they don't have a large dufflebag on their character, how are they meant to RP it being on them, as you would obviously see it and not need them to tell you where it is. nor would someone be roaming around the streets carrying a pump shotgun.

I am absolutely against the normalization of asking for /showitems in any way.

Let's suppose a robber asks for /showitems after a robbery and a victim acquiesces, yet the former had a concealed SNS pistol that the robber failed to locate. Would that not impact the RP of that robber in as significant a manner as asking for /showitems before even RPing a pat down?

All this will do is cause /b fights to ensue about who was hiding what where.

Leave the rule as it is. /showitems has no place in a robbery.

• Upvote 1