[RANA] DEVELOPING STORY: State Senate unanimously clears Marijuana Decrim to move to a final floor vote.

Al-Malikah

letters-rr-simple-geometric-logo-clear-elegant-dynamic-129437317.jpg

THE RANA REPORT

Your source for the latest Los Santos news, investigative journalism, and city-wide updates.

Y8l4IDT.png

State Senate unanimously clears  Marijuana Decrim to move to a final floor vote.

BY RANA KHATI

image.png

State Senate Hearing on Marijuana Legalization

On Sunday January 24th, 2021, the San Andreas State Senate Public Safety and Security Committee convened to debate a resolution calling for the  decriminalization of the use and sale of marijuana throughout Los Santos and San Andreas. Senator Dan Cardenas (R) chaired the debate and present for questioning was Dr. Danielle Shaw of Pillbox Hill Medical Center, Sheriff Dale Kelly of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department, LSSD Captain Isabella Ramirez, Unit Captain of Twin Towers Correctional Facility and LSSD Civilian Administrator Jameela Calvin. 

Activists came out in support of the measure in favor of decriminalization as well as with hesitation towards some of the senators:

Baba Black, 44, a "Right to Blaze" activist: “Republican(s) lie… [regarding] herb. I think.. Republican will make a big lie and stop legalization.”

Rana Khati: Would you be surprised if they supported it at the end of the debate?

BB: “Ja, mon, but they are heavy into.. greed 'n de poison world.” (Quotes rendered from West Indian patois.).

Prior to the debate, Senator Dwight Burris (D) shared his expectations regarding how it might go:

Senator Burris: I'm expecting us to get this over with, we have a lot more on our plate, weed should have been legal a long time ago. If you see anybody making a fuss, it's clear cut party politics, I'm expecting my colleagues to use common sense.

Senator Ethan Schmidt (R) provided an optimistic viewpoint prior to the hearing:

RK: I wanted to get your impressions beforehand. Whether you have an open mind to the idea or not.

Senator Schmidt:  I do have an open mind to the idea, any idea. I think that's what democracy is about.

image.png

Senator Dan Cardenas chaired the historic hearing and ensured an orderly and time efficient proceeding, he operated with impartiality as chairman and assigned and enforced time evenly across the board. He afforded time in the beginning to opening statements from those invited which are reproduced below.

image.pngimage.png

Dr. Danielle Shaw & Captain Isabella Ramirez opening statements on behalf of Pillbox Hill & the LSSD respectively

Opening statement of Dr. Danielle Shaw of Pillbox Hill Medical Center:

Spoiler

Senator Cardenas: The Chair recognizes Dr. Shaw for five minutes.

DS: Well, for my opening statement I want to take everyone through the history of Marijuana in this country. Some of you may, or some of you may not know the history behind both its name, and why it was placed on a schedule. When our founding fathers settled this land, Marijuana was not this drugs name. It was Cannabis. Marijuana came from the Mexican's who immigrated to this country, they called it Marihuana. It was then known at Marjiuana, to make it sound foreign, and to a degree, to make it sound scary to those already living here.

The movement to schedule this drug came mainly from the era of President Nixon, and Mr. Kissinger. Based on purely racist motivations, they denied the wealth of knowledge we even had back then, about how this drug is not dangerous for consumption.

Gentlemen, Senators and the audience around us. We are not in the 1970s anymore. We are in the twenty first century. It's time we adapt and its time we make Marijuana legal. That is all from me.

Opening statement of Captain Isabella Ramirez, Unit Commander of the LSSD Twin Tower Correctional Facility:

Spoiler

DC: Captain Ramirez is recognized by the Chair for 5 minutes.

IR: It is no secret what impacts maintaining the jail facilities have on, not only the economy, but also our communities— the same thing can be said for the impacts of marijuana in which we are discussing. I can say, without a doubt, a large number of inmates currently held in our main facility have had drug related charges on them— as little as /1 gram/ of the substance has a substantial impact in the grand scheme of things.

This is becoming something that is hard to maintain, especially when these members of our community show no signs other than the possession, no violence from /this/ specific substance alone. In-fact, they are some of the more likely candidates who go through our parole boards, and are accepted to be returned into society. They are not negatively impacting the society, they in-fact are what is taking up our tax-payers money to house them in a facility for something which... As proven by many other states, is harmless. Not only that, but for those possession charges? We do also have to bring up the costs of /fighting/ one of these cases in a court. I am sure this will be mentioned more in detail later.

That will be all for our opening comment.

image.png

Sen. Gabriela Morales (D), unfortunately photographed nearby a trash-can during her opening statement.

Senator Gabriela Morales (D) is the primary sponsor of the resolution, which ultimately calls on the Senate to convene on a vote to a final bill that addresses the core issue- the decriminalization of marijuana use and distribution throughout the state. While largely seen as a symbolic vote to prioritize a hot-button issue, Senator Morales's floor time was sharply focused on inquiring about the potential positive effects of such decriminalization:

DC: Senator Morales is recognized for 5 minutes.

Senator Morales:  Sheriff Kelly, Captain Ramirez, Doctor Shaw, thank you for your statements today, I'm sure many in the audience watched on with happiness at hearing your candidness. Legalizing marijuana is at the forefront of the Democratic agenda, but I hope that we can move this resolution beyond party lines, so again, thank you.

I'd like to just ask, Doctor Shaw, whether you have statistics or even anecdotal knowledge of health complications at PHMC (Pillbox Hill Medical Center) in regards to consumption of cannabis?

DC: I am yet to see such a case Senator, its far more like we'd encounter issues with other prescription medication like Oxycodone. The worst you'll get from Marijuana is a hungry stomach and feel a bit sleepy.

GM: Thank you, Doctor Shaw, can I ask a further question, is it likely you would prescribe marijuana, or cannabis, to treat certain aliments in accordance with scientific evidence?

DS: Correct, there are many conditions which would benefit from Marijuana. To list a few, Parkinsons, Anxiety, HIV or AIDS, or even as a pain relief in cases of severe trauma.

GM: And therefore, do you believe that it is beneficial, from a healthcare standpoint, to have cannabis as a valid option for medical and recreational use?

DS: I do.

image.png

Senator Frank Ernst (R) challenges the issue, questioning those called to the hearing.

The most critical of the resolution in it's current form, Senator Frank Ernst (R) used his floor time to question the Law Enforcement witnesses on potential drawbacks of decriminalization from a criminal justice standpoint. The debate was tense between the Senator and the Sheriff, but became contentious particularly with interjections from LSSD Civilian Administrator Jameela Calvin and Dr. Danielle Shaw.

Senator Frank Ernst's questioning:

Spoiler

Senator Ernst: Contrary to what my esteemed Democratic colleagues suggest, we are an open book to this discussion, and are not hard pressed to extending the current policies. I had a question for Ms. Ramirez. Just to clarify what existing policy is.

Ms. Ramirez, what are the current penalties for marijuana possession?

IR: Marijuana, or as defined in our state laws as cannabis, is sectioned down as a category D, Senator. As per the current state laws, possession of this can be a fine. Although, as said earlier, we have to consider the costs of also contesting that fine— however the fine is for [2250] dollars.

FE:  Up to how many grams is it a fine?

IR:  Up to 15 grams in which is counted as distribution, Senator.

FE: Is small time marijuana possession, under 15 grams, considered a misdemeanor or felony or neither?

IR: Deputy discretion is something I would just like to mention, due to the fact that possession is a misdemeanor.  However, one of which may not necessarily be jail time with that possession charge alone. Only above 15 grams would someone be required to serve their time, as well as the fine.

FE [To Sheriff Dale Kelly]: Do you support striking all references to marijuana in the penal code?

Sheriff Dale Kelly: I'd personally say that's not a good idea unless distribution and growing the drug is legalized as well. As for whether we -should- legalize it? No comment, that is up to the public and those they've elected.

FE:  How will we hold bad unregulated actors if references to marijuana are entirely wiped from the penal code?

DK: I am afraid we enforce the penal code, we do not write it.

FE: So striking references to marijuana, assuming it's legalized, would inhibit your ability to hold bad actors accountable?

Ms. Jameela Calvin, LSSD Civilian Administrator [Interjects]: Mister Senator, it should be no concern what happens when marijuana is legalized to this body! Bad unregulated actors are very rare with marijuana sales... beyond that, innocent people are suffering under the burden of our oppressive  Law enforcement disproportionately target persons of color in their enforcement of these regulations! Marijuana is not the same thing as crack, it is not the same thing as cocaine, it is not the same thing as methamphetamine!

FE: Ma'am, the question is directed to Mr. Kelly, to follow up on his remark… [M]y issue here is that the resolution we are talking about demands striking any and all references to marijuana from the penal code. Assuming we legalize marijuana, would we not want to have references to marijuana in the penal code in order to effectively hold bad actors accountable? Assuming we have a regulated system which is something the witnesses so far have been in favor of.

DK: I am going to be leaving that decision to those re-writing the penal code. I am sure they will keep it in mind. Like I've stated before, we'll be following their direction regardless.

FE: Would striking references to marijuana from the penal code prevent you from penalizing marijuana distributors as a law enforcement officer?

Dr. Danielle Shaw [Interjects]: Apologies, I have no knowledge of how to address this. But Senator Ernst, have you forgotten in your time that the city government operates a department of licensing for just such an occasion?

DC [Calls to Order]: The Chair recognizes Sheriff Kelly for five minutes.

DK: Alright so, to answer the question on whether striking references of marijuana from the penal code is going to get in the way of law enforcement doing their jobs. I only see that as an issue if it is decided that marijuana is still in any way, shape or form illegal. If the decision is made to legalize marijuana, I see little to no reason to keep mentioning it in the penal code. Bar from charges such as operating a vehicle under the influence and whatnot.  But the decision to legalize it or not is not up to me, I am afraid.

Whether striking it from the penal code will affect our ability to do our jobs depends on the decision made, though. That is sure.

That'd be all.

image.png

Senator Ethan Schmidt (R) and Senator Frank Ernst (R) seated at the Republican side of the dais.

Senator Ethan Schmidt (R) offered a brief line of questioning with regard to the witnesses stances on the various categories of legalization and medical use-cases:

Senator Ethan Schmidt: I have a question for all three of the witnesses. If we are to separate medical usage of marijuana, decriminalization of marijuana, and recreational use of marijuana into three different categories. Which categories would you support, not support, or remain neutral on?

DK: To start off, I do believe of marijuana for medicinal reasons should be left to medical professionals. They probably know whether it is safe to do better than I ever will. As such, I won't be commenting on medicinal use. Decriminalizing the use of marijuana, thus making sure the users are not treated as criminals has my support however. I believe Captain Ramirez has already shed some light into why that may be. I have no comments on recreational use, however.

DS: Senator, if I may. I'd be in strong support for its medical use, as well as decriminalizing it. I'm also in support of recreational.

ES: Thank you. One more question. Marijuana is currently decriminalized under 15 grams. Under what use case would more than fifteen grams be necessary for medical usage?

DS: Senator, such quantities would be akin to allowing patients to not make frequent trips to the hospital. Same type of scenario goes to if we allow them to grow their own plants. It helps reduce the workload on my staff for such prescriptions

ES: Thank you, I yield the rest of my time to the chair.

Senator Dan Cardenas (R) offered his own line of questioning:

Senator Dan Cardenas: Sheriff Kelly. Are you in favor of legalizing marijuana distribution... and giving people the power to wholesale marijuana? My question extends to the Sheriff's deputies as well.

DK: I'm neutral on the matter.

DC: Thank you. I extend the same question to Ms. Shaw. To repeat, are you in favor of legalizing marijuana distribution and giving people the power to wholesale marijuana?

DS: I am Senator, provided provisions are made to ensure correct taxation, regulation to ensure its sold to those of age, and general safeguards akin to that of alcohol distribution. With those accounted for yes, otherwise, no.

DC: Correct taxation, as in... tax which would effectively fall on distributors?

DS: Correct.

DC: Thank you. I don't believe in new taxes, but OK ... so you say we should raise taxes on small business, dispensaries and even individual growers?

DS: I'm saying, if you'll allow me, to introduce a small tax like we do on alcohol sales, which can be used to generate income in support of communities, to use against tackling real crime or healthcare from its aftermath.

DC: Essentially sales tax for marijuana. I see. 

My time has expired.

image.png

LSSD Sheriff Dale Kelly answering questions.

The Senate voted unanimously, all six senators voting yea to move the resolution to a final floor vote when a full bill is presented. The Democratic Senators were naturally elated regarding the results. The Rana Report got the impressions from the Republican Senators to get their view of how the hearing went and how they wish to move forward on the pressing issue.

Rana Khati: Did todays session adequately ease any of your concerns regarding this resolution's decriminalization of marijuana? 

Senator Ernst: This resolution is a non-binding procedure that simply expresses a sense of the Senate. It's unknown to me why Ms. Morales didn't draft an actual bill to present to the Senate.  As soon as I see an actual bill discussed, you'll know my exact thoughts.

RK: Did the information from Dr. Shaw or Kelly inform you more greatly? Was this a productive use of your time?

Senator Cardenas: Yes indeed. I feel it's important that we hear from our law enforcement on the matter. They're the ones on the street actually keeping citizens accountable. We learned that the police don't even charge for marijuana unless it comes along with additional charges. Now whether these arrests make it to court... that's a question for the district attorney.

RK: And did this ease any of your concerns with regard to the proposed resolution, potential amendments nonwithstanding?

DC: I believe so, yeah. It seems like we're not enforcing this anyway— why should it be there, right? But I don't want my name on saying that we should strike all notions of cannabis and marijuana from the penal code. Not without proper legislation.

RK:  Do you know whether your constituents are in favor any form of Marijuana decriminalization initiative by the Senate? 

FE: Polling indicates that this is a popular issue, sure. But, it's on us as public servant to ensure that any form of decriminalization and legalization doesn't harm the public, our children, or our economy.

DC: I know Central wants to see marijuana legalization. We all heard Dr. Shaw today and Dr. Shaw and her hospital are exactly in my district. I can't overlook the sensational... nature of the issue. Indeed. I support Frank in his statement here.

RK: Senator Schmidt, did todays hearing resolve any questions you may have had regarding this issue?

Senator Schmidt: It sure did. I believe we've set the right foundation to look into fully legalizing marijuana. The people of Blaine County have made it clear they are in favor of legalization, therefore I am obligated to fulfill it. But as Frank said, as public servants, we must make sure it is done through thorough deliberation.

FE: Which is precisely why I took issue with some of the language in the resolution. How can we make commitments if we don't even know what an outline of the marijuana bill looks like?

RK: Do you believe your colleagues across the aisle are providing this level of due diligence?

ES: I believe my colleagues across the isle should've proposed a bill with specifics on how they wish to carry out legalization. Which authorities get delegated licensing. And everything else which needs to be discussed.

FE: Again, I'm not sure why Morales proposed a resolution, but I'm sure it's because she wants to look like she's doing something on the issue without actually proposing something concrete.

RK: Thank you for your time Senators.

The Rana Report has reached out to the office of Senator Morales regarding the insinuations on her motives in bringing the resolution to the floor and we are currently  awaiting a response. The article will be updated when we receive one.

All in all, activists elated as they left the courtroom; the sense that the government was actively listening to the will of the people was undeniable. 

We caught up with Baba Black, the activist we spoke to prior to the debate:

Rana Khati: So before the hearing you stated you thought the republicans might vote against. How do you feel about the result... an unanimous motion for this to proceed... with the republicans [Yea] vote?

Baba Black: Ja, mon. I think dem Republican hide dey rasism nao, seen? Dem wanna be I and I savior nao widde Biden adminis-tray-shun 'n ting, seen? Dey wanna be moa moderate widdey policy.

RK: Do you think they will vote yea on the final bill?

BB: I no-no. Dem sneks inna grass, yano.

We also spoke with Ms. Nora Patterson, the Curator of Culture Los Santos City Government

RK: Are you able to give your impressions of today's events?

Nora Patterson: Well. It's nice to see that they have opened the floodgates regarding marijuana use.  I fully agree on the legalization of marijuana.

It's silly of them to keep it illegal for any longer.

The Rana Report will continue to update the public regarding the fate of marijuana decriminalization legislation throughout the State of San Andreas and the city of Los Santos.

Y8l4IDT.png

Remember to like and subscribe for more city-wide news!

Y8l4IDT.png

Thank you for supporting independent news!

Edited by Al-Malikah
Formatting gore
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2
  • Al-Malikah changed the title to [RANA] DEVELOPING STORY: State Senate unanimously clears Marijuana Decrim to move to a final floor vote.

*Bababunmi Karaboga rolls up another doobie while on his computer and Googles for his interview and the public reaction to the debate.*

Username: BabaBlack420

Comment: Very nies article. Big up fi de NICE + UNBIASED media working! Big Pharma and the media too close and strong... news very biased and FAKE (lies) when on the herb, but this GOOD. - Baba Black 

Edited by MAGAman
  • Applaud 1

Username: Locoenelcoco

Comment: Aaand it will end with state taxing farmers so heavily, that they simply won't apply for license and nothing will change Not to mention, that this will cut gang profits in half, forcing them to move onto hard drugs venues cause countless of turf wars. And of course pharma companies will promptly bring entire farming industry into a chokehold with it. In the end, they only voted for more money to roll in.

Edited by Engelbert
  • Upvote 1
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic