[RANA] Former LS COO Charles Lockhart confirmed as State Attorney General

Al-Malikah

Letters Rr Simple Geometric Logo Stock Vector - Illustration of emblem,  geometric: 129437317

THE RANA REPORT

Your source for the latest Los Santos news, investigative journalism, and city-wide updates.

Y8l4IDT.png

Former LS COO Charles Lockhart confirmed as State Attorney General

BY RANA KHATI

Alta City Hall.

On Wednesday, January 20th, 2021, the Senate Public Safety and State Security Committee convened for the confirmation hearing of Mr. Charles Lockhart for Attorney General. Mr. Lockhart was most recently the City Operations Officer for the greater Los Santos area. 

Throughout the hearing, Mr. Lockhart clarified and espoused his approach to criminal justice. He indicated that with regard to the death penalty that it should only be used only as a “last case resort” reserved for acts of mass murder or terrorism but ultimately should remain an option for those cases. With regard to organized crime, he expressed that there is a lack of manpower with regard to both the LSPD and LSSD task forces and indicated his office would attempt to increase support in this regard, whether that means a recruitment drive or seeking out of city transfers is unclear. Senator Ernst  pressed Mr. Lockhart on what his office might do to tackle fraudulent charities, Mr. Lockhart referred back to his previous answer of ‘increasing resources’ to the relevant departments. 

With regard to the recent corruption blowout from Former Mayor Oswald Halford, Senator Burris asked him if there was anything that can be done to prevent this situation from ever happening again. Mr. Lockhart simply stated that as Mr. Halford was caught and prosecuted, “there isn’t much more that can be done when the system worked” Senator Burris pressed him and challenged the idea that the system worked with regard to the corruption and Mr. Lockhart’s reply was that “nobody knew of these allegations prior to him taking office” and then remarked as if Senator Burris was calling for a global surveillance of citizens home, office, and vehicles. Senator Burris has made no such proposal at any point during the hearing.

On marijuana criminalization, Mr. Lockhart expressed that there are too many resources going towards the policing of marijuana that could be better expended in other areas of criminal justice which shows a willingness for his office to pursue a more lenient policy towards marijuana offenders.

Mr. Lockhart was confirmed with a majority vote of four Yeas, those voting in the affirmative being Senator Frank Ernst, Senator Ethan Schmidt, Senator Gabriela Morales, and Senator Dwight Burris.

image.png

Senator Gabriela Morales leaving the confirmation hearing.

Senator Gabriela Morales, a prominent member of the city and state Democratic Party offered her comments after the hearing:

"The hearing was wonderful, it's a great feat of accountability that the judiciary is held to account by the state senate, and I long for that to continue, and I look forward to a fruitful relationship with Mr. Lockhart… Unfortunately, the debate was of course shadowed by the awful attempts by the Republicans to take the rights of city governments throughout the state and consolidate them to a higher power."

When asked about the recent civil unrest with regard to former Mayor Halford’s corruption scandal, Senator Morales offered words of encouragement:

"You have my word that the Democratic Party will be fighting passionately and firmly against these attempts to ensure that governments, city, county or state, do as their elected, and not overstep.”

UPDATED January 21, 2021:

5iKC6MV.png

Lockhart in the Hearing - Taken by Ms. Nayeli Greyfeather @Greyfeather 

Y8l4IDT.png

Thank you for supporting independent journalism

Y8l4IDT.png

Remember to like and subscribe for more city-wide news!

> Comments are enabled

Username:
Comment:

Edited by Al-Malikah
grammar, removed section due to potential MG from interviewee
  • Upvote 1

Username: Greyfeather

Comment: Great article.

Also, when he was asked about organized crime in LS (including extortion) he stated that he would ensure that PD and SD are given more resources to deal with that sort of crime.

Afterwards, I asked him if that meant he would be advocating for the fast-tracking of RICO laws for SA, he said that he will.

Edited by Greyfeather

Username: Greyfeather

Comment:

13 hours ago, knppel said:

Username: TheRealCarrySaunders
Comment: I know it did happen, not THAT it had happened surprised me but that I got to read an article about something that actually happened opposed to a "leaked document" telling me Mickey Mouse is new CoP or something

Ha!! Yes, it's nice to see something factual being reported on, right?

Edited by Greyfeather
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic