Disable Local OOC Chat

Melly

Short description: Disable Local OOC Chat

Detailed description:

Add the ability to disable local out-of-character chat for players, but force out-of-character chat from on-duty admins to show up on all screens regardless of the toggle status.

Commands to add: /toggleb, /togb

Items to add:

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Seeing as responding to any out-of-character chat isn't a necessity and it is a roleplay server, players should feel immersed and shouldn't need to be bothered by out-of-character messages during their roleplay scenarios. I understand that players can be reported for excessive use of out-of-character, but that seems petty to me and having the ability to disable local out-of-character chat is much simpler.

Additional information:

This was a feature on a server I have played on in the past, and things ran smoothly without any negative effect from players having this ability. Unless addressed by an on-duty admin, players shouldn't be forced to have their chat spammed by unnecessary chats, local out-of-character being one of the main ones.

• Upvote 1

I personally disagree with this just because sometimes important things need to be relayed via OOC chat and you need to be able to see it. I understand the frustration but, unless  I'm just lucky, not a lot of players on GTA:W clutter the chat with OOC chat that much anyway.

1 hour ago, Juicebox. said:

I personally disagree with this just because sometimes important things need to be relayed via OOC chat and you need to be able to see it. I understand the frustration but, unless  I'm just lucky, not a lot of players on GTA:W clutter the chat with OOC chat that much anyway.

As @KinnyWynny has said above, they can use PM. Local OOC isn't necessary and often causes clusters. If you don't see them, consider yourself lucky. But they definitely are a thing, and having to report or tell other players to stop is annoying.

2 hours ago, Juicebox. said:

I agree with this one, hence I'm not supporting it.

I'm personally gonna say no to this as /b, despite sometimes being disruptive can be used to relay important OOC information in an active scene which could otherwise end up not being noticed by people who have /b disabled and thus causing more issues than needed.

13 minutes ago, Swag said:

I agree with this one, hence I'm not supporting it.

3 minutes ago, Seanny said:

I'm personally gonna say no to this as /b, despite sometimes being disruptive can be used to relay important OOC information in an active scene which could otherwise end up not being noticed by people who have /b disabled and thus causing more issues than needed.

Players can PM each other instead, or if it’s an admin situation, the admin’s messages will still come up in the local OOC chat. 

I'm personally going to say no as well.
/b is especially useful if you roleplay in a larger group when something comes to play which needs to be adressed. Ending up having to PM +5 people the same message sounds tedious - and if anything will end up stalling roleplay even more than dishing out a simple /b to a larger group of people.

I rarely get put in a position where I'm annoyed by a high amount of /b and whenever it happens you usually just need one person to call out people to quit /b and it comes to a stop.

It's a no from me. 

Edited by Towbie
1 minute ago, Melly said:

Players can PM each other instead, or if it’s an admin situation, the admin’s messages will still come up in the local OOC chat. 

Try PMing a large group of people with the same message something important when a single /b could easily suffice, I'm still going no.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic