Divide between illegal/legal role players

bonk

10 hours ago, Large Hazard said:

Civilian rpers and illegal rpers are here for wildly different reasons and I think conflict is inevitable. Regardless, people should make the effort to be more courteous to each other. Taking a moment to put yourself in the shoes of the "other side" wouldn't hurt either.

Unfortunately, when deeper interactions with criminal RPers become negative, they can become VERY negative and all encompassing, and spin wildly out of control!

If I have a bad experience with a civilian character, I can just choose not to IC associate with them by avoiding the places they go or own. Unfortunately, in the bad experiences I've had with criminal RPers, the worst of them will actively seek my character out to try to enact their power fantasies, which then dominates my game time.

Edited by Greyfeather
  • Upvote 1
On 1/20/2021 at 6:49 PM, Santanaa said:

As an illegal roleplayer, I must admit I do get heated when we're generalized, most of the phrases being : "illegal rpers can't rob" "/showitems stop lacking" "robbing with bikes in davis" , why do I get heated? Because next time one of my faction members robs someone, that person is gonna be paranoid about the rp quality and think that they're only being robbed for profit, when in reality, robbing RP is (most of the times) deeper than it seems, and when the same person sees someone on a bike in Davis, they're gonna be scared they're gonna get robbed with a 1 line /me.

Don't get me wrong, LEO groups also DO get this sort of generalization, one of the most common phrases I've heard being "Police officers just want the pursuits n shit but no rp at all". I DO understand how it is to get this kind of bad attention. 

When is the constant brawls between both groups going to end? Whenever we stop generalizing because a group of 5-6 people can't roleplay. ( Talking about both groups here. You can't say "But X group has more shit tier RP than X group". )

I'm not defending nor attacking any of the groups, I'm currently an illegal rper but I have done legal RP in the past, and I do plan in doing legal RP in the future on GTAW. It makes me sad that people from one group doesn't see the work that goes behind the opposite group, the refore jumping to conclusions and thinking that they're going to roleplay like shit no matter what, that's what brings people of both groups down and that's what generates tension in IC situations and OOC encounters.

As Nervous said, just report and move on, don't bring up the topic again so you won't generate more discussion around it. That way we'll more or less eliminate most of the toxicity.

But anyways, we're all human in the end. return to monke, learn to love eachother and to embrace any sort of RP, because a lot of work goes behind it no matter what, ❤️ 

My main issue when Illegal character and his friend who are residents of LS, go out of their way ride all the way over to the county (Sandy, Paleto etc) in order to rob someone, having 0 reason to do so moreover no development of the character occurs during said trip. Majority of people who do that, do it for the LOOT, only that. That's my beef with people who actually DO that for the sole purpose of robbing a business/person.

Not to mention the way Illegal Roleplayers attempt extorting business, coming during busy opening hours with a group of 3 or more asking for the owner making it terribly obvious. Not to mention if the manager tell to contact the Owner which the group does not like or the Owner refuses to pay they straight up go to damage the entire business either by bashing the premises or burning it down.

In both cases we Roleplaying in 2020's now and lets be honest, every business has CCTV both inside and outside, on top of that, every civilian who is not a criminal in most cases can afford a cheap smartphone that contains a camera allowing video recording. People forget that it is not that easy to commit a crime and get a way with it in areas that have both. The rules about Outside CCTV need to change, as currently things stand, if the CCTV is mapped but criminal party refuses OOC CCTV permission then they can get away with the crime. While CCTV inside the business property does not require such permission. Moreover LSPD/SASD & potentially FD can use Dashcam recording without requiring consent of anyone.

I am not against criminal roleplay, but the cookie cutter bull-crap needs to end, thing outside the box, try to approach things differently.

• Upvote 1

rp quality depends on the player not the type of roleplay they do.

some factions are worse for it that others, sure. But you get bad apples everywhere and a couple of shitty roleplayers can put a bad reputation on an entire faction. 

People just gotta learn to not be idiots

• Upvote 2

legal rp characters just seem pretty cookie cutter like yes bro please tell me more about how you own 5 businesses at 23 with your (insert super car here) that you drive around like a fucking twat

i'm not saying illegal rp is much better, with everyone being the same leather jacket wearing foreign black suv/four door no emotions assassin but at least that makes more sense than literally everyone being a millionaire who does legal rp because legal rp oocly makes you like 1000x more

• Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, friendlyman said:

legal rp characters just seem pretty cookie cutter like yes bro please tell me more about how you own 5 businesses at 23 with your (insert super car here) that you drive around like a fucking twat

i'm not saying illegal rp is much better, with everyone being the same leather jacket wearing foreign black suv/four door no emotions assassin but at least that makes more sense than literally everyone being a millionaire who does legal rp because legal rp oocly makes you like 1000x more

That's like equally cringe as poorly rped criminal yeah. "Buying any business, any sportscar." Like bruh you won the lottery or what?

51 minutes ago, friendlyman said:

I agree Legal Roleplayers are not perfect either. For instance my character has only 2 business, she's in her 30's, does not drive a 400k car.

49 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

That's like equally cringe as poorly rped criminal yeah. "Buying any business, any sportscar." Like bruh you won the lottery or what?

Spoiler

But in all seriousness - my only quip with this statement is that we can generally avoid those sorts of characters with no consequence. Bad illegal RP, on the other hand, thrives under the atmosphere that allows it to be forced upon others. A CK might be your reward if you try to ignore it. What's more, the players behind these asset grabs understand they're not up to standards and intentionally skirt the rule breaking line (and tend to try to bargain with you to remove reports if their play is challenged.)

It has developed into its own meta game, which is the part that ticks me off. They know what they're doing.

1 hour ago, Smilesville said:

But in all seriousness - my only quip with this statement is that we can generally avoid those sorts of characters with no consequence. Bad illegal RP, on the other hand, thrives under the atmosphere that allows it to be forced upon others. A CK might be your reward if you try to ignore it. What's more, the players behind these asset grabs understand they're not up to standards and intentionally skirt the rule breaking line (and tend to try to bargain with you to remove reports if their play is challenged.)

It has developed into its own meta game, which is the part that ticks me off. They know what they're doing.

Illegal RP tends to be confined within illegal RP though. Under that pretence, you can pretty much choose to ignore the bad parts of illegal RP by just joining up with a faction that isn't cringe (Or at least has some good parts in it.)

A lot of the issues with bad RP comes down to people wanting to live out their fantasies as some multi millionaire driving a sports car or a 21 y/o sureno chick with an AK, or a [nationality] mobster in a leather jacket who always speaks foreign languages and never shows emotion

I don't really think it'll ever stop just because of the type of game this is, and that playing a character is way less important in legal or illegal RP than making money or having fun. 

35 minutes ago, friendlyman said:

Illegal RP tends to be confined within illegal RP though. Under that pretence, you can pretty much choose to ignore the bad parts of illegal RP by just joining up with a faction that isn't cringe (Or at least has some good parts in it.)

Except that's not particularly true, though - especially when it comes to activities such as robbery and extortion. That's what makes bad illegal RP so much worse than an equivalently bad legal RP. For the 18 year old multimillionaire with five sports cars, you can typically roll your eyes and move on and refuse to patronize their businesses.

I guarantee if you try to roll your eyes and walk away from a robbery or extortion attempt, a CK will be in the making not long after.

Pretending these two problems have the same impact is a bit silly.

• Applaud 1
13 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Except that's not particularly true, though - especially when it comes to activities such as robbery and extortion. That's what makes bad illegal RP so much worse than an equivalently bad legal RP. For the 18 year old multimillionaire with five sports cars, you can typically roll your eyes and move on and refuse to patronize their businesses.

I guarantee if you try to roll your eyes and walk away from a robbery or extortion attempt, a CK will be in the making not long after.

Pretending these two problems have the same impact is a bit silly.

And I can tell you why. Cause people like to brag about their bodycount and hate when something doesn't go their way. These bad habits are obvious on both sides. We have triggerhappy civilians cause somebody somewhere discharged a gun at someone and it doesn't even involve them in the slightest, yet they decide illogically to draw, run up to the scene and join the shootout. Then we even have civs, pulling guns over an argument in front a of club. Like does that make sense at all? I'd bite at that, if it was 2 OGs solving differencies like that, but no two or more party goers just cause one of them was called a whore. And one last pet peeve of mine, that belongs to both sides...is business owners. I know I know, everyone likes to have one time to time, but for god'sake invest some rp in it, don't just open it for 2 hours collect cash and then close it like a bot.

Edited by Engelbert