Divide between illegal/legal role players

bonk

Note that the intention of this thread is not to create any beef between either groups of the spectrum. If you're here to start causing drama because a group of role players in the illegal/legal rp scene ruined your experience, I'll kindly ask for you to not derail this thread to attack them on that. There are obviously correct mediums to take that up to, thanks.

When I refer to "group" I am referring to either illegal, legal, LEO or any other massive "group" of role players on this server.

To gain a little background into me, I've role played illegal pretty much my whole entire time on multiple role play servers/platforms and I've only really taken up a legal role play approach in 2019, to which I've stuck to since I made the full move to this server. One thing I've noticed that there have always been huge divides between groups of legal role players, illegal role players, LEO role players, etc, however, on this server it's something on a whole different level. Nearly every thread I have seen that has innocent intentions is always derailed by the opposite group (or sometimes its own group), whether that be illegal or legal. It's honestly disheartening seeing this and the intention of this thread is to see why.

The main concern that I see between these two groups are role play quality. Role play quality on this server will never reach a top total level of "perfection". No server can do that, you can role play and think you're the best role player ever but there will always be somebody who will disagree with how you roleplay no matter what, sometimes they may be right, sometimes they may completely be wrong. I've seen both illegal and legal role play groups having absolutely sub par role play, this isn't to say that the other groups are perfect, there are huge issues with LEO role play just as much as there is with the aforementioned groups, but the point I am attempting to convey is that I don't understand why fingers are always being pointed at one another when your role play scene is not at the standard it really should be at. You have people role playing Mexican American teens speaking in full Spanish slang, driving Sultan's, doing muggings with shotguns and duffel bags, whilst on the other hand you have 20 year old "influencers" on Facebrowser with the sole intention of ERPing, driving fast sports cars, and going to clubs, etc. (Obviously these are generalizations of both groups, I am not referencing specific people) Whereas this may be the case, there's also really good legal and illegal role players too who have heavily developed their characters that I personally commend highly.

Neither group is perfect yet you have people sprawling into raging fits at every opportunity in every thread that concerns either illegal or legal role play, and as a result of this, most of them get locked within 24 hours of the initial threads creation. I'll specifically mention a thread that was made earlier today which got locked with 14 hours or so of it being created, now I don't want this thread turning into that thread's discussion as it has been locked by an admin, but I am just giving an example. Within those meek 14 hours, legal role players were having at illegal role players for poor tier role play unable to recognize that their scene isn't much better off. OPs thread was innocent withholding good intentions for the illegal role play scene, which is awesome (since illegal role play obviously needs to be looked at more, it's evidently been ignored heavily) but people for whatever reason are opposed to that and decided to derail it heavily, even some illegal role players assisting in derailing that.

As bad as it may sound, but my solution to this is to just completely ignore those derailing either your thread, bad mouthing your faction/group in a thread or just in general being toxic towards your group. Kindly just go about PMing them/asking them on that thread if there's any concerns they can PM you rather than derailing the thread, if they reply again just leave it at that or report them. I can understand it is quite a difficult thing to do as people would always want to get the last kick or laugh, but if we want to have this type of mentality diminish we can't keep fueling the fire in every single thread. It's demotivating at this point seeing these groups always arguing 24/7 at every given opportunity in regards to role play standards when their group isn't doing much better. 

To close this off since I feel as if I've written too much for this topic anyway, I've never been on such a community where toxicity between these two groups are oftentimes tossed at each other. I understand if you're in one "clique" you're more inclined to go protect that clique of role play over the other. My hope for this thread is for these two groups to actually come to the realization that there are improvements that both groups need to take up, and to actually remember that there are actual mediums to take these complaints up to. I really do not care if a faction is ICly harassing your character, to be totally honest. I just want to read and discuss in the thread (which sometimes leaves me unable to because so many points are tossed around, derailing the thread making me feel as if even replying to that thread is pointless due to how derailed it is, it leaves me wondering how long until an admin has to step in and lock the thread, making the whole creation of it purposeless)

Edited by Blowin' Hollows
changing title
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
  • bonk changed the title to Divide between illegal/legal role players

I think the best step towards to improving both scenes begins with IFM, LFM and PQM. In recent times I've noticed there's little to no communication between IFM and LFM outside of SD's country jail, causing one wanting to go one way, the other wanting to go another way while they cannot bring themselves together to work cohesively. On the other hand, I've hardly ever seen PQM working on the overall quality of the roleplayers on this server, sometimes they are not hard enough on them. Too many people have gone unchecked for too long, some examples need to be made on both sides so everyone falls back into line.

The people that detail topics, whether that’s suggestions or discussions are a visual representation of the worst of either roleplay party (legal/illegal), genuine players don’t have the time nor energy to get invested.

My take on that part of the discussion.

The massive part of the community is really fine and peaceful, you're just listening to the complainers / toxic ones too much on forum. Around 5% of the playerbase is active on forum, out of which half are players having an opinion on everything when they shouldn't be. I haven't met that toxicity at all ingame yet nor on discord, so as you said, just ignore the toxicity and report the posts. Moderators will handle.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

As an illegal roleplayer, I must admit I do get heated when we're generalized, most of the phrases being : "illegal rpers can't rob" "/showitems stop lacking" "robbing with bikes in davis" , why do I get heated? Because next time one of my faction members robs someone, that person is gonna be paranoid about the rp quality and think that they're only being robbed for profit, when in reality, robbing RP is (most of the times) deeper than it seems, and when the same person sees someone on a bike in Davis, they're gonna be scared they're gonna get robbed with a 1 line /me.

Don't get me wrong, LEO groups also DO get this sort of generalization, one of the most common phrases I've heard being "Police officers just want the pursuits n shit but no rp at all". I DO understand how it is to get this kind of bad attention. 

When is the constant brawls between both groups going to end? Whenever we stop generalizing because a group of 5-6 people can't roleplay. ( Talking about both groups here. You can't say "But X group has more shit tier RP than X group". )

I'm not defending nor attacking any of the groups, I'm currently an illegal rper but I have done legal RP in the past, and I do plan in doing legal RP in the future on GTAW. It makes me sad that people from one group doesn't see the work that goes behind the opposite group, the refore jumping to conclusions and thinking that they're going to roleplay like shit no matter what, that's what brings people of both groups down and that's what generates tension in IC situations and OOC encounters.

As Nervous said, just report and move on, don't bring up the topic again so you won't generate more discussion around it. That way we'll more or less eliminate most of the toxicity.

But anyways, we're all human in the end. return to monke, learn to love eachother and to embrace any sort of RP, because a lot of work goes behind it no matter what, ❤️ 

Edited by Santanaa
  • Upvote 1

I think this comes from, the usual habit of people, trying to be helpful at first with the topic, but seeing the help or advice, or maybe just plain opinion turned down. It turns into an argument. But honestly some people are wrong at some points, for instance, my characters never were victim to any crimes so far. So I kinda have no reason bashing on crime, I admit I only see the darkside which is reports. But hey I spent quite some time among gangs in LS. They are not bad and usually running their stuff. But every faction seems to have a bad apple, or few. To quote my experience, I spent two months among surenos and never was recruited. Two months...My opinion is that people should handpick their faction's members based on their roleplay and loyalty.

Edited by Engelbert
9 minutes ago, slick! said:

I think the best step towards to improving both scenes begins with IFM, LFM and PQM. In recent times I've noticed there's little to no communication between IFM and LFM outside of SD's country jail, causing one wanting to go one way, the other wanting to go another way while they cannot bring themselves together to work cohesively. On the other hand, I've hardly ever seen PQM working on the overall quality of the roleplayers on this server, sometimes they are not hard enough on them. Too many people have gone unchecked for too long, some examples need to be made on both sides so everyone falls back into line.

First, I want to say that I personally don’t have experience with Faction Management in recent years/months so I’m working with other people’s anecdotal evidence but if many people who are not related to each other say the same thing there must be some truth to it. Second, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that there is a conflict of interest when someone in a position of power who holds responsibility over an area and a group of people is operating within that same area- and group.

That’s like having 2 attorneys participate in a trial but one of the attorneys is the judge. That’s a severe violation of conflict of interest and should never happen.

Positions of power in Faction Management or any other management should be restricted to people who have no conflict of interest. Otherwise, we are breaking one of the fundamental rules of GTAW which is that the game- and rules must be balanced and fair for everyone.