Turning off nametags with a command

The no name tag this is a meh idea for realism considering all the other stuff we have. The ability for people to be able to toggle on/off everyone's tags is a good idea for people with that preference. Being able to toggle off your own tags to everyone else a good idea, until you want to report someone who pulls up next to you in broad daylight and goes.

/me aims gun

((Show inv please))

And shoots you two seconds later because you didn't comply fast enough

So I'm 50/50 on it. If you're saying I should be able to turn off my tag so nobody else can see it. No.

If you're saying that there should be a command for a player to be able to toggle off everyone's tag? Sure.

8 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

The no name tag this is a meh idea for realism considering all the other stuff we have. The ability for people to be able to toggle on/off everyone's tags is a good idea for people with that preference. Being able to toggle off your own tags to everyone else a good idea, until you want to report someone who pulls up next to you in broad daylight and goes.

/me aims gun

((Show inv please))

And shoots you two seconds later because you didn't comply fast enough

So I'm 50/50 on it. If you're saying I should be able to turn off my tag so nobody else can see it. No.

If you're saying that there should be a command for a player to be able to toggle off everyone's tag? Sure.

No, I don't think I should be able to turn off my own nametag for other players. I'm saying I should be able to turn off other player's name tags. For example if you nametag says John Higgens, I would just do something like /tognametags and it will disappear, not letting me see the name above your head anymore, but you can still see mine if you choose. Unless you turn it off as well. 

1 minute ago, SpeedOfThought said:

No, I don't think I should be able to turn off my own nametag for other players. I'm saying I should be able to turn off other player's name tags. For example if you nametag says John Higgens, I would just do something like /tognametags and it will disappear, not letting me see the name above your head anymore, but you can still see mine if you choose. Unless you turn it off as well. 

Sweet. Had to cover the base. If that's the case, I'm all for this.

9 hours ago, Joe said:

But then if you're typing out a /me and you aren't able to see the name of the player you're interacting with, how're you going to imply you're interacting with them?

Either way, this seems like a harmless suggestion and I don't see oppose its introduction. The argument you've provided just seems a little strange.

I think it would just be more useful in long-range situations or people in cars. If you interact with them you can just use the chat box to find their name. It's more like long-range purposes. For example, if I see someone far away IRL I wouldn't know if I know them until they get closer and seeing their face, but having the nametags in GTA I see their names from far away. 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, Jura said:

How will it make the game more realistic to remove a name above someones head but have a huge text log in the upper right hand corner?

I don't see a reason to NOT add it, but claiming it adds more realism is not true, imo.

IMO it's just that it helps keep me from MG in certain situations. Such as players who are far away. Obviously I can just see their name and decide now to RP with them or something because IK it would be MG, but it would just be more convenient for me to not have nametags and put names to faces. For example, if I get into an altercation with somebody, and I see them later across the street but they have different clothes on and are facing away, etc, some players may be tempted to go confront because they see the nametag, not their face. This is also true if a player is farther away and I see their nametag. IRL I wouldn't know if I know that person until they got close enough for me to see their face. It's just a little command for convenience. 

• 5 months later...
  • Wuhtah locked this topic