Think Tank for illegal rp

Tony White

Most people think that roleplay is black or white, legal or illegal but forget the grey middle.

What exactly defines an illegal character and therefor a criminal? A billy badass that sells drugs and has killed 10 people? Not only those. Those people make up 1% of the population in real life.

Doing any illegal act makes you a criminal. Smoke weed? Youre a criminal. Prostitute yourself? You are a criminal. Steal a chocolate bar from the grocery store? Youve just committed a crime and youre a criminal. Do those types get to be in the illegal rp discussion group or do only the worst types qualify? How illegal would they need to be?

We shouldnt try to set up elitists group safe spaces because you think other players may not fit your agenda. We shouldnt try to draw lines between the two as some, and illegal rpers need to stop assuming that legal rp is the only rp that legal roleplayers have done, as some of us have been on the illegal side and went more legal. Not all of us on the legal side are 100% goody two shoes, we all have a dark side so we dont need to be divided.

Edited by Wing
  • Upvote 1

I can't think of any justification as to why this should be necessary.

Legal or illegal, gang members, organized crime or government agencies. It doesn't matter.

We are one community in which discussions should never be exclusive to one group or the other.

Edited by G-Deon
16 minutes ago, Wing said:

Most people think that roleplay is black or white, legal or illegal but forget the grey middle.

What exactly defines an illegal character and therefor a criminal? A billy badass that sells drugs and has killed 10 people? Not only those. Those people make up 1% of the population in real life.

Doing any illegal act makes you a criminal. Smoke weed? Youre a criminal. Prostitute yourself? You are a criminal. Steal a chocolate bar from the grocery store? Youve just committed a crime and youre a criminal. Do those types get to be in the illegal rp discussion group or do only the worst types qualify? How illegal would they need to be?

We shouldnt try to set up elitists group safe spaces because you think other players may not fit your agenda. We shouldnt try to draw lines between the two as some, and illegal rpers need to stop assuming that legal rp is the only rp that legal roleplayers have done, as some of us have been on the illegal side and went more legal. Not all of us on the legal side are 100% goody two shoes, we all have a dark side so we dont need to be divided.

This. This is something a lot of people tend to overlook.

Okay, then. I won't be sarcastic. 🙄

I think the problem that I see so much on these forums is that people have an "us" and "them" mindset. 

"Illegal" RPers angry at "legal" RPers because they don't do the thing they are expected to do in a given scene. Therefore, generalizations are made (they're all Mallrats with sub-par RP) and it becomes toxic.

Meanwhile "legal" RPers get angry at "illegal" RPers because they think they're being forced to do something they don't expect they should. Generalizations are made (they're all play to win deathmatchers) and it becomes toxic.

My concern is this; won't having an exclusive section to discuss illegal RP that doesn't allow free discourse just compound the "us" and "them" problem? Isn't moderation to keep things on track, which just occurred in this thread, the better way?

I'm happy to be corrected.

Edited by Greyfeather
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I think the problem that I see so much on these forums is that people have an "us" and "them" mindset. 

"Illegal" RPers angry at "legal" RPers because they don't do the thing they are expected to do in a given scene. Therefore, generalizations are made (they're all Mallrats with sub-par RP) and it becomes toxic.

Meanwhile "legal" RPers get angry at "illegal" RPers because they think they're being forced to do something they don't expect they should. Generalizations are made (they're all play to win deathmatchers) and it becomes toxic.

My concern is this; won't having an exclusive section to discuss illegal RP that doesn't allow free discourse just compound the "us" and "them" problem? Isn't moderation to keep things on track, which just occurred in this thread, the better way?

Glad you decided to stop derailing, and ask valid questions. 

So there seems to be a big gap between both sides of the community, and it's not my intention to make it even a bigger gap. This section isn't going to take anything away from anyone, everyone can still voice their opinions on generals discussions. 

What's the point of this section? 

There's a few topics that illegal roleplayers need to go over, and I'm sure in a controlled environment they will. Things like: The drug scene, the gun scene, suppliers, script features, a healthy balance between mobs and gangs, bettering the scene, the faction scene lore (going off the top of my head here)

People either talk about those things on Discord, or between each other - but it's never in a controlled place where IFM can go through it maybe once a week or once a month. 

I'm open to ideas or genuine suggestions, but I don't know why everyone decided to turn this thread into a battle. This ain't a fight, we're just simply discussing something. 

Edited by Bader.
13 minutes ago, Bader. said:

Glad you decided to stop derailing, and ask valid questions. 

Sigh.

13 minutes ago, Bader. said:

I'm open to ideas or genuine suggestions, but I don't know why everyone decided to turn this thread into a battle. This ain't a fight, we're just simply discussing something. 

My suggestion is this; anything that will impact on civilian RPers needs to have civilian player input. As an example, someone raised a game suggestion a little while ago that he should be able to lace the weed he was selling with harder drugs without the buyer knowing and that the script should then have the buyer becoming addicted to the laced drug. I imagine that's an example of one that civilians would want some input into.

But I then ask this question; is there anything in the list above that doesn't have first and second order effects on civilian RP?

I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering what the parameters are?

Edited by Greyfeather
spelling
38 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

What I find funny, is that criminal rpers think they actually know something about crimes they are committing.

12 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

Sigh.

My suggestion is this; anything that will impact on civilian RPers needs to have civilian player input. As an example, someone raised a game suggestion a little while ago that he should be able to lace the weed he was selling with harder drugs without the buyer knowing and that the script should then have the buyer becoming addicted to the laced drug. I imagine that's an example of one that civilians would want some input into.

But I then ask this question; is there anything in the list above that doesn't have first and second order effects on civilian RP?

I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering what the parameters are?

It's OK to be critical, I don't mind it. It's actually way better if I had critical people with valid points. 

The things listed above won't have a heavy impact on civilian roleplay, except for maybe the drug system. Civilians use drugs, everyone does drugs. When I was talking about the drug scene, I meant from a supplier's POV if that makes sense. 

It's not my intention to impose anything on civilian roleplayers. It's always important to have a healthy balance between civilian/cop/criminal roleplay. Otherwise it'll get very boring. 

3 hours ago, Bader. said:

I get that some people have been effected by the actions of some illegal roleplayers, but you guys have to channel all this energy into reporting those illegal rpers.

Our business reported a faction trying to extort us by wordlessly (and with no emote either, mind) running up with a bat, beating us to death, then yelling "y'all better pay up" before running away.

The adjudicating staff member told us that because they were trying to extort us, it was valid and no punishment would be issued. The building was burned up for the next 48 hours by the same people.

This was around a year ago, and more or less all the staff from that era have been replaced.

All of this is to say that we have an IFM who've historically been far too lax with this sort of behavior; I've seen very encouraging signs from them lately in the opposite direction, but understand that the general perception of those who've been around this block is that staff tends to cover for this behavior more than they punish it - or, again, this has historically been the case.

So again, to the issue at hand - an echo chamber of staff and illegal players will only foster even more mistrust and undo progress in transparency and evenly applied standards.

• Syrike locked this topic