Think Tank for illegal rp

Tony White

Just now, Charmz said:

I suggest everyone needs to chill on the legal/illegal debate thing because every time it happens it makes me cringe so bad, stop acting like you're 5 year olds in a kindergarten..

This was never the intention of the thread at all, but people hijacked it to turn it into that. 

I just think a lot more can be done if the suggestions on the IFM discord were done on the forums because it's hard to keep up with a Discord.

So you don't want the opinion of civilian roleplayers on IFM topics but posted a thread discussing whether there should be an IFM section or not in General Discussions instead of taking it to IFM?

Why not reach out to IFM instead?

Edited by effion

So people interested in roleplaying on the illegal side but not currently active in it can't have an opinion on those things? Sounds like it will be an incestuous group that will be on a limited access platform in which a vocally strong minority is likely to dominate the general opinion. This will create a simply unhealthy imbalance. If staff feels someone is derailing good discussions on public topics, that can be handled separately, not by shielding entire portions of the community from a platform that's important for the entire community. (The IFM Discord server doesn't sound like the right place for suggestions either imo)

9 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

Yeah, just another valid point, why would we want to discuss Rules of Engagement with civilian roleplayers? Just one topic out of many that's not your concern, it's concern of illegal factions, and illegal community. 

7 minutes ago, effion said:

So you don't want the opinion of civilian roleplayers on IFM topics but posted a thread discussing whether there should be an IFM section or not in General Discussions instead of taking it to IFM?

Tried that, and was told to post it on the forums by IFM. Nor did I say I don't want the opinion of civilian roleplayers, I'm open to ideas. You have any ideas? What if we have a liaison for law enforcement, and other sides of the server. Maybe if IFM is willing, they can set up applications too for everyone to take part. 

Edited by Bader.
4 minutes ago, Bader. said:

This is valid, and worthy of a response because I know people want to turn this into a shit show, and I won't go back and forth with them on it. 

The whole "us vs them" mentality is shit, I agree with you. It's not something I ever want to endorse. I believe every section of the community should get along, and the overall roleplay scene should be healthy. Criminals need civilians, civilians need cops, and cops need criminals. Everyone should thrive off each other. 

The reason why I suggested it should be illegal roleplayers, and for it to be monitored by IFM/LFM is because of things like the drug system, or even the supplier system. Or even providing constructive feedback between each other about the many different themes of illegal roleplay. It's not going to be a section that imposes anything on anyone who ain't a illegal roleplayer. 

But there's certain topics that always get derailed, and this is one of them. There's a lot of great suggestions on the IFM discord, but they get washed away with spam. I think a section on the forums will help preserve those ideas.  

How will a section do more harm than good to anyone on the server? 

Whether players are legal / illegal is largely (read, not completely, but mostly), irrelevant.

If you want to have a serious discussion on the topic of illegal RP, then what you do want to help with such a discussion are people who:

1) Leave their baggage at the door - i.e. players who can discuss topics with a clear head and do not take criticism to their point of view personally and who do not have a bias that is terribly in favor of or against any particular system.

2) Can articulate their point of view clearly and when necessary in detail - just making blanket statements isn't helpful.

3) Can consider wider consequences to their proposals - e.g. How will making this change impact other groups who may not be it's intended recipient etc.

4) Are teamplayers - i.e. they go into this with the understanding this isn't about making their personal RP better, but enriching the illegal RP and the server as a whole.

5) Ideally have development experience - i.e. Can demonstrate understanding at how some systems can realistically be made to work - both the difference between real world and game limitations and also what's feasible given a limited development pool.

Just now, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Whether players are legal / illegal is largely (read, not completely, but mostly), irrelevant.

If you want to have a serious discussion on the topic of illegal RP, then what you do want to help with such a discussion are people who:

1) Leave their baggage at the door - i.e. players who can discuss topics with a clear head and do not take criticism to their point of view personally and who do not have a bias that is terribly in favor of or against any particular system.

2) Can articulate their point of view clearly and when necessary in detail - just making blanket statements isn't helpful.

3) Can consider wider consequences to their proposals - e.g. How will making this change impact other groups who may not be it's intended recipient etc.

4) Are teamplayers - i.e. they go into this with the understanding this isn't about making their personal RP better, but enriching the illegal RP and the server as a whole.

5) Ideally have development experience - i.e. Can demonstrate understanding at how some systems can realistically be made to work - both the difference between real world and game limitations and also what's feasible given a limited development pool.

Valid. 

How about giving people the option to apply to be apart of this think tank? Anyone with good enough experience can join it. It will all be monitored by IFM obviously. 

7 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

So people interested in roleplaying on the illegal side but not currently active in it can't have an opinion on those things? Sounds like it will be an incestuous group that will be on a limited access platform in which a vocally strong minority is likely to dominate the general opinion. This will create a simply unhealthy imbalance. If staff feels someone is derailing good discussions on public topics, that can be handled separately, not by shielding entire portions of the community from a platform that's important for the entire community. (The IFM Discord server doesn't sound like the right place for suggestions either imo)

you apply, get accepted or get denied, simple as that

1 minute ago, Bader. said:

Valid. 

How about giving people the option to apply to be apart of this think tank? Anyone with good enough experience can join it. It will all be monitored by IFM obviously. 

This is general forum moderation, it shouldn't be behind another wall of applications, the server applications should cover this need. People can learn from others too by reading valuable contributions and by asking questions in discussions, that's a perfectly normal way of communicating and gaining support. It also helps crystallize suggestions and shape them into something usable.

Please all in favor of shielding suggestions from portions of the community:  Open your eyes and stop trying to do stuff behind closed doors, it's not a good place to start and not even a good place to end if something derails. Moderate topics, which is hopefully already done and go from there.

1 minute ago, .Pluto. said:

you apply, get accepted or get denied, simple as that

The above works as a response to your contribution as well I suppose.

Just now, Triple Seven said:

This is general forum moderation, it shouldn't be behind another wall of applications, the server applications should cover this need. People can learn from others too by reading valuable contributions and by asking questions in discussions, that's a perfectly normal way of communicating and gaining support. It also helps crystallize suggestions and shape them into something usable.

Please all in favor of shielding suggestions from portions of the community:  Open your eyes and stop trying to do stuff behind closed doors, it's not a good place to start and not even a good place to end if something derails. Moderate topics, which is hopefully already done and go from there.

The above works as a response to your contribution as well I suppose.

I respect your opinion, and it's honestly valid.  Instead of derailing this topic, you voiced your opinion - and I respect it. 

What if we made the threads public, but no one can comment on them except for everyone who's apart of it? 

Just now, Bader. said:

I respect your opinion, and it's honestly valid.  Instead of derailing this topic, you voiced your opinion - and I respect it. 

What if we made the threads public, but no one can comment on them except for everyone who's apart of it? 

That means people wouldn't be able to add valuable contributions or ask questions, so I think that's too limited and doesn't serve the purpose.

• Upvote 1
  • Syrike locked this topic