Age accuracy and diversity

ChickenOffSky

1 minute ago, Tsarna said:

Easy - new people apply OOC-ly/IC-ly for new businesses. Make them tougher to acquire, even putting a time on them, how long they have run those businesses on IC level. This makes them take it seriously, not a buy-sell business. We all know, that people are buying/making businesses cheap and then sell them a month or two later to make a quick buck. This should be forbidden. "You can not sell your business in six months" requirement. "You have to run the business for six months at least" requirement. 

And once more - those things can be changed, if OOC stuff, but IC-ly those requirements should be there.

In terms of new businesses I’m of the opinion that less restriction is far more preferable. As for the issue relating to the age of ones character, why make it so complicated? I don’t think added bureaucracy would help, and in fact believe it will have significant unexpected consequences. Consequences that could ultimately hurt a lot of people. It’s also an incredibly subjective issue. Because there are plenty of people who run and own businesses in their twenties. 

What it really comes down to is what a person is portraying IMO. If your character is 22 and has a good reason as to why they have their business, who is anyone to really judge. The call to make is really whether that’s a desirable standard. And although deviation from the standard isn’t bad per say, perhaps a preferential process for older characters could change future business owners. 

2 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

Simple - they make the research OOC-ly and make characters who are older and a backstory, which fits. And take their businesses seriously, and work on them. If they are not motivated to do that, then they are not motivated to run a business seriously. 

I agree with you that it's a problem, and I don't like seeing it myself. I only have one concern though, what if this demotivates people from running business? One thing I like about the server is the fact that there's always a business open. I don't want to discourage people from running businesses. 

Just now, eTaylor said:

In terms of new businesses I’m of the opinion that less restriction is far more preferable. As for the issue relating to the age of ones character, why make it so complicated? I don’t think added bureaucracy would help, and in fact believe it will have significant unexpected consequences. Consequences that could ultimately hurt a lot of people. It’s also an incredibly subjective issue. Because there are plenty of people who run and own businesses in their twenties. 

What it really comes down to is what a person is portraying IMO. If your character is 22 and has a good reason as to why they have their business, who is anyone to really judge. The call to make is really whether that’s a desirable standard. And although deviation from the standard isn’t bad per say, perhaps a preferential process for older characters could change future business owners. 

This "Because there are plenty of people who run and own businesses in their twenties" - my answer before was, no, not realistically. There is a small percentage of those young people, who actually run bars, restaurants, night clubs, et cetera. Young people usually run some start-ups and those kind of businesses IRL, not bars, strip clubs, and such. If you want realism, then this should be taken into account: what kind of business it is, that a 20-22 year would realistically even run - obviously not a bar, restaurant, et cetera. 

4 minutes ago, Bader. said:

I agree with you that it's a problem, and I don't like seeing it myself. I only have one concern though, what if this demotivates people from running business? One thing I like about the server is the fact that there's always a business open. I don't want to discourage people from running businesses. 

Well - if they run it for a month-two, or max. three, then they were not motivated in the first place. Those people can work in gas stations or the 7/11s. Business ownership should be seen as something, where the owner would put many months into, and still be motivated to make his business run or grow. 

Edited by Tsarna

The problem in my opinion is that in a roleplay environment such as this, people can choose who they roleplay, and most people will want to portray an ideal character, and youth and beauty will always take priority in that. Since I've mostly roleplayed middle aged characters I've totally felt this issue, and thought about it, but it just comes to such a fundamental element of the server that there's not really anything you can do about it except discipline the extreme cases. 

1 minute ago, Tsarna said:

Well - if they run it for a month-two, or max. three, then they were not motivated on the first place. Those people can work in gas stations or the 7/11s. Business ownership should be seen as something, where the owner would put many months into, and still be motivated to make his business run or grow. 

True. I do think in some special circumstance that certain people should be allowed to roleplay having a business despite being very young. If they come from generational wealth, etc. or they have a very good and special reason to a business while being so young 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, MartosG said:

The problem in my opinion is that in a roleplay environment such as this, people can choose who they roleplay, and most people will want to portray an ideal character, and youth and beauty will always take priority in that. Since I've mostly roleplayed middle aged characters I've totally felt this issue, and thought about it, but it just comes to such a fundamental element of the server that there's not really anything you can do about it except discipline the extreme cases. 

I agree that people want to be young and beautiful. But if you want something in the positive side (youth, beauty), then you should also expect some downsides, which is life. It is all about realism also.

7 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

This "Because there are plenty of people who run and own businesses in their twenties" - my answer before was, no, not realistically. There is a small percentage of those young people, who actually run bars, restaurants, night clubs, et cetera. Young people usually run some start-ups and those kind of businesses IRL, not bars, strip clubs, and such. If you want realism, then this should be taken into account: what kind of business it is, that a 20-22 year would realistically even run - obviously not a bar, restaurant, et cetera. 

That’s what I was saying. You’ll always find outliers, and while there are plenty of people 

they aren’t the standard. That’s the thing though, you can keep presenting instances of young business owners and use that as an argument as to why you should be allowed to do so as well. And in this game everyone is unique and part of the very few who would have a business like that. 

At the end of the day, it is down to each individual player to age their characters properly. Factions such as the LSSD and LSPD offer guidance with things such as an age scale and how long it takes your character to be promoted to position X and Y to assist in the proper aging of your character.