Age accuracy and diversity

ChickenOffSky

7 minutes ago, ScottieP said:

When I made my character I made him to be 18 I then changed him to be 21 shortly after because I forgot about 21+ and after I made a decent amount of money I changed him to be 25. Now I am yet to make a change but the problem for me is that if I were to change my character's age from 25 to 30+ then everyone that my character knew (aged 20-25) will still be the same age (20-25) while my character will be much older than he was and that's why it doesn't make sense for me to change it.

Also most people are of the opinion that people should start younger so they make some kind of character development and thus it is recommended to start younger than older. I never understood this, I mean.. you can be whoever you want and how old you want if you can explain some story even if it is explained in a nutshell.

Depends on the backstory and how you integrate it - you would have a large portion of character development from your backstory. And when you come to the city, whatever the age, then you just develop it further. Because you do not start from a blank, but come as someone already. And character development = years in game is pretty hard. Have done the mistake myself too, that developed it too fast, but that is what learning is there for. 

This is one of these problems that are a simple consequence of the RP medium:

Seeing a handful of young, successful entrepeneurs? Absolutely possible. As always, the trouble is when too many people RP this, but the game currently definitely facilitates people with a basic starting capital to make a lot of money and be successful.

As long as people are RPing how they got their start realistically, I see no issue as long as the server's playerbase is making them successful. The only issue would be RPing being from the hood but suddenly with no previous RP being able to buy a Club or a large business.

We live in this microcosm of inherited success. I own a business on a character. I've gone through the process of requesting one. It's really easy and there ain't a whole lot to it. The only thing you do is, you have a little background on your character, a blurb on what you intend to do with it and the money to sinkhole into it. That's it. And given the amount of requests that probably go into PM, I doubt they have the time to look into everything with a fine tooth comb.

And what we get because of this effect of people that are entirely too young to be owning businesses that own businesses. People who wouldn't even be out of college yet running million dollar businesses like they're some groundbreaking entrepreneur. And they're not. They're usually just another club peddling the same schtick as whatever flavor of the month that happens to be in.  It's not 100% impossible for that to happen, but it's very, very, very, very improbable. But we get a lot of it here. Because of the low barrier of entry to own a business and exist on this server we get a ton of 22-26 year old bar owners. Nah bro. That ain't it.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, ScottieP said:

I think there should be a rule to ageing so characters get older over time and it all somehow makes sense. Right now you can be 15y/o today and 30 y/o tomorrow if you wanted to which is unrealistic. My point is that people can change their age but there is no rule to that so if I for example change my age from 25 to 28 in a period of 3 months I will be 28 but everyone else will be 25 which makes no sense while a lot of stuff has happened in this period.

Actually, the idea of being a twenty-year old entrepreneur that closes down their business, in 2-3 months, DOES make sense as MOST people that open up a business tend to close down due to countless variables, such as lack of experience within the industry. Issue is, they should R.P. having to pay off their debt to the loan companies, if that's the case, since most 20 year-olds cannot afford a business without some form of a loan,

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Actually, the idea of being a twenty-year old entrepreneur that closes down their business, in 2-3 months, DOES make sense as MOST people that open up a business tend to close down due to countless variables, such as lack of experience within the industry. Issue is, they should R.P. having to pay off their debt to the loan companies, if that's the case, since most 20 year-olds cannot afford a business without some form of a loan,

https://www.fundera.com/blog/small-business-survival - as you see, and it has not changed a lot the last ten years, that like 75-80% of businesses survive the first year of their existence, because if you make a start-up/business, then you know quite well, that the first months overall will be the ones, where you can not expect some great revenue from your business, but more of losses, because you have to advertise hard to make people buy your products/use your services. All in all, make yourself known to the general public, so they will buy your stuff. So, it does NOT make sense at all, that people end their businesses, which they realistically have been working towards for many months/years, to make a business plan, to make this life-changing decision. So, this is unrealistic, that 90% of the businesses in LS change owners or go "bankrupt". 

If people will go bankrupt in the first two months, then they can not afford their business in the first place, because they lack knowledge, the will, the business plan to make it work, so those people, who are there to be a business owner for a couple of months, should not have businesses. Of course, OOC issues should be taken into account as well, but IC-ly those people should have no possibility to own a business, because it just plain dumb.

Edited by Tsarna
17 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

https://www.fundera.com/blog/small-business-survival - as you see, and it has not changed a lot the last ten years, that like 75-80% of businesses survive the first year of their existence, because if you make a start-up/business, then you know quite well, that the first months overall will be the ones, where you can not expect some great revenue from your business, but more of losses, because you have to advertise hard to make people buy your products/use your services. All in all, make yourself known to the general public, so they will buy your stuff. So, it does NOT make sense at all, that people end their businesses, which they realistically have been working towards for many months/years, to make a business plan, to make this life-changing decision. So, this is unrealistic, that 90% of the businesses in LS change owners or go "bankrupt". 

If people will go bankrupt in the first two months, then they can not afford their business in the first place, because they lack knowledge, the will, the business plan to make it work, so those people, who are there to be a business owner for a couple of months, should not have businesses. Of course, OOC issues should be taken into account as well, but IC-ly those people should have no possibility to own a business, because it just plain dumb.

How would you translate that into the game though?

Just now, eTaylor said:

How would you translate that into the game though?

Easy - new people apply OOC-ly/IC-ly for new businesses. Make them tougher to acquire, even putting a time on them, how long they have run those businesses on IC level. This makes them take it seriously, not a buy-sell business. We all know, that people are buying/making businesses cheap and then sell them a month or two later to make a quick buck. This should be forbidden. "You can not sell your business in six months" requirement. "You have to run the business for six months at least" requirement. 

And once more - those things can be changed, if OOC stuff, but IC-ly those requirements should be there.

7 minutes ago, Bader. said:

I agree. It's weird seeing someone who's in their early 20s roleplay being self made, and owning a bunch of businesses. But how can you stop that though? Since the majority of the server is roleplaying being in der early 20s. 

Simple - they make the research OOC-ly and make characters who are older and a backstory, which fits. And take their businesses seriously, and work on them. If they are not motivated to do that, then they are not motivated to run a business seriously.