Are niche characters considered bad?

ChickenOffSky

2 minutes ago, Свето said:

But as people said, as long as you're portraying a character and not a stereotype, they're the problem, not you.

Is there at least some leniency if your character is based off a stereotype? I feel like it’s difficult to avoid it if you are truly trying to RP that character. 

Tbh if people refuse to roleplay with you “because they dont roleplay with joke characters”, thats refusal to roleplay. You can report them and have them punished. Who are they to judge whats a joke character and what not? Who are they to decide who they roleplay with or not? Its a roleplay server; you roleplay at all times no matter the situation. They dont belong on this server if they refuse to roleplay.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ChickenOffSky said:

Is there at least some leniency if your character is based off a stereotype? I feel like it’s difficult to avoid it if you are truly trying to RP that character. 

I mean, from the examples you've given, none of them are really "stereotypical" in nature, and Karen's being the most stereotypeable of those groups, as long as you portray a Karen-esq personality properly, I see no issue with it. As for elderly, and overweight? These are so dependant on backstory that its hard to portray a stereotype, I mean, you could do your typical /me hates everything new, /me walks with a cane, /me has a bad back

And

/me is panting, /me is sweaty, /my fat jiggles when (s)he walks.

Respectively, but as long as youre not doing that type of shit, you're all good in my book, and of course these things are fine to do, but as long as these actions don't DEFINE your character you're fine, in my opinion.

LOL ignore these people. You know you're doing something right. These are the people who CRY ever so loudly if we have one day of snow, or ONE DAY of something out of the norm happening on the server and cry how it ruins their immersion. They need to go outside and see that sometimes some shit happens outside that's out of the norm. 

I wouldn't even consider RPing a niche/stereotype character out of the norm. These people are out there, that's why the stereotype exists in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

Niche characters are perfectly fine as long as you treat them like any other character. What I mean by that is you approach roleplay with good intentions and you're RPing a character that is properly researched. By good intentions I mean initiating roleplay with the intention of creating an enjoyable experience and not to disrupt roleplay or troll. Some of my most unique interactions have been with niche characters that are done well.

Unfortunately, most of the time people fail to research any alt characters as well as they should. They jump to stereotypes and then think that's enough RP. I've seen too many people do a terrible job of RPing an Indian taxi driver because they just stick to the stereotype. Some people also find that stereotype funny for whatever reason so it's often used in trolling. 

Trolls and characters that are based around stereotypes with little to no research end up giving a similar impression to players. These types of players end up using ped skins a lot of the time because it's much quicker to set up the character that way. Because of how Rockstar made ped skins, they often tend to exaggerate stereotypes which adds to the effect. This also applies to players who wish to go over the top when sexualizing their character by picking a prostitute or stripper ped skin.

As a result of all that, RPing a niche character or using a ped skin is going to result in players wanting to avoid you because of previous experience with similar characters. If you do want to RP something like that, you need to be ready to give a good first impression. If you're roleplaying well and portraying a character accurately, it's the other players that are the problem if they refuse to RP or avoid you.

• Upvote 3

I love niche characters. I don't like when I'm OOCly targeted by them, though.

I've had many encounters with newly-created "niche" characters whose purpose was just to annoy my char until he was in trouble. Those encounters were OOCly motivated. But of course that's metagaming and those players' fault, and doesn't put all niche characters in the same bag. 

It's what Keane said, treat them like any other character and don't treat them as an expendable one-time thing.