Are niche characters considered bad?

ChickenOffSky

Awhile back I was RPing on a character where the whole basis of her was that she was a “Karen”. She was essentially an RP machine as she could go anywhere and stir up drama. Honestly, the most fun RP I ever experienced was playing on Karen. I had established a solid backstory and overall was very thorough with my RP. I had a lot of people PM me talking about how much they love the character and how they hoped to have more interactions in the future. HOWEVER, I would also get a bunch of messages from other players telling me that the character is stereotypical, a joke, and should be deleted. People would even go as far as to say in /b that people shouldn’t RP with me and that they should just ignore me. 
Ultimately, I ended up CKing Karen.

Ive tried a few other niche characters such as an elderly man, a homeless guy, and an overweight woman (all using the PED skins). I’d still get people who would say things like “sorry I don’t RP with joke characters” which would ultimately make me lose interest in said character. 

My past experiences left me with a few questions: Are niche characters a bad thing? Do other people who RP on them get the same hate from other players as I do? Why do people seem to hate them so much?

5 minutes ago, Edelweiss206 said:

If you go up to someone and try to earnestly RP where it doesn't look like you're just trying to hit a tick box for a stereotype, and they turn around and go "I don't RP with joke characters." There is one there, but it aint you.

6 minutes ago, Jägerbomb said:

Please report them if they ever say that on /b, they shouldn't be on the server.

Yeah, you're more than welcome to throw the rule at them about 'not pausing or voiding RP'. If they keep acting up, report them, just don't turn your character up to 11 to get a raise out of them.

10 minutes ago, Edelweiss206 said:

If you go up to someone and try to earnestly RP where it doesn't look like you're just trying to hit a tick box for a stereotype, and they turn around and go "I don't RP with joke characters." There is one there, but it aint you.

Basically /thread.

There's for sure a place for niche characters, and when done correctly, they can help facilitate so much roleplay that otherwise most likely wouldn't be happening. I had a lovely experience with your character @ChickenOffSkyand it gave me a good laugh OOC and it was an interaction that I appreciated.

Spoiler

5P6q0mJ.png

• Applaud 1

I think if your Roleplay a character in a believable manner (and it’s not over the top unrealistic), then it does nothing but help flesh out the world. 

I made an alt character that’s an old black preacher in Davis. He goes around to these gang neighborhoods preaching and doing community outreach. It’s the most fun I’ve had in a long time and I suggest everyone makes a civilian character that fits that niche role. 

1 minute ago, Свето said:

I think this also has a lot to do with the anti-ped stigma leaking in, people don't like people who use ped skins, for whatever reason. 

Gonna assume it's because the majority of the time they're used it's for outlandish and borderline trolling characters, nothing OP can be blamed for of course.

FAT character FAT because HAH he's FAT.