Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]

17 minutes ago, Juicebox. said:

I agree with making it so you have to serve a % of the sentence ingame, but making a ridiculously long sentence instead would just lead to people straight up abandoning characters and even leaving the game. 

As for everything else I mostly agree but those situations are entirely different to a degree. Although I think a lot of robberies on the server are sub-par, you can do more things after you get robbed. Once your extorter is gone, there's more to do after being extorted. You get where I'm going. In prison it seems like pretty one-dimensional most of the time it's a bunch of groups against another bunch of groups and then u got the guys who mind their business. That can get boring after a time now imagine doing that type of roleplay for hours for like 2 months for example. That's ridiculous. 

But a little off topic I agree extortion and robbery RP is extremely lackluster on this server extortion in general feel like I live in the 1940's.

BTW I hope that made sense im tired as shit and winding down for bed lol

Read my edit, I suggested something different. With regards to the examples I mentioned being different situations, that's not the point I was getting at. A lot of people use this response, "I don't like jail RP, I don't want it forced upon me". Quite a few of these people would use this response even if the jail was full at all times with guards and prisoners (or that's how they make it seem). This is what I was eluding to, where you don't get to cherry pick role play because you don't necessary like it. It comes with the territory. You can't just not participate when it's an IC action that led to that consequence. If you're walking down an alley and get robbed? That's an IC consequence to you walking down a desolate alleyway. You can't just log off because you don't like being robbed. Likewise with the response of being forced to do jail RP. If you break the law, you should suffer the IC consequences of jail time regardless of whether or not its inconvenient to you. It's part of playing someone who broke the law.

Edited by Cypher
8 minutes ago, Cypher said:

Read my edit, I suggested something different. With regards to the examples I mentioned being different situations, that's not the point I was getting at. A lot of people use this response, "I don't like jail RP, I don't want it forced upon me". Quite a few of these people would use this response even if the jail was full at all times with guards and prisoners (or that's how they make it seem). This is what I was eluding to, where you don't get to cherry pick role play because you don't necessary like it. It comes with the territory. You can't just not participate when it's an IC action that led to that consequence. If you're walking down an alley and get robbed? That's an IC consequence to you walking down a desolate alleyway. You can't just log off because you don't like being robbed. Likewise with the response of being forced to do jail RP. If you break the law, you should suffer the IC consequences of jail time regardless of whether or not its inconvenient to you. It's part of playing someone who broke the law.

Yeah I read that and I 100% agree but my thing is a robbery is like 5 minutes or so on average, extortion happens once a week and could take 5 minutes or even 30 depends how their character takes the situation. But onto this persons suggestion, they are suggesting that being caught commiting a crime should result in extreme cases, multiple months in prison. If you commit a crime and have to go to jail and do prison rp, thats on you, im not saying get rid of prison all together or anything, but to spend 2+ months of IRL time in prison is a little overkill and WILL take players from the server. Or we will see an increase in self-induced CK's, one or the other. I'm not saying if that's a good thing or not, in a sense of "ridding" of the bad players but that is something that will happen. 

Because I know personally when I'm on there's 300 players on for maybe a hour or so then it drops to 200 then 30 mins later in the hundreds.... I don't think it's fair to lower timezone players to have them sit in mostly empty prison cells for a couple months IRL time ya know? At that point you're literally just punishing a player OOCly instead of ICly punishing their character. That's why I like your suggestion more to force % of time done ingame vs a massive increase in prison sentences.

Edited by Juicebox.
7 hours ago, .Pluto. said:

EDIT: On topic - IC issue. Suggest it to legislature. We have State Gov and State Senate, plus, maximum sentence is 20 days, it can be 20 days, or life, depending on criminal points.

9 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Isn't this an IC issue?

My opinion is that it is not; you'll receive pretty stern warnings for saying "oh, he'll be out in ten days" with regards to attempted murderers, for instance - and there can be no strictly IC redress for an issue that can't even be mentioned IC.

Already addressed in the original post. Lest the stigma surrounding bringing this sort of thing up IC goes away and it becomes a valid topic of conversation you won't get yelled at by staff over, it will never be something that can be addressed on an IC basis - regardless of the existence of a state gov.

9 hours ago, Pathway said:

I'd agree with this, if other game mechanics were changed along with it. For example  if I rob a car at gunpoint and chop said car, the person gets their car back 7 hours later, loses LITERALLY nothing, but I get a prison sentences of a month. Or what if someone provokes me, I end up shooting them, all they have to do is rp injuries for 30 seconds at a hospital, or just respawn at the hospital if they accept death, meanwhile I get months on end of prison time while this person is still casually walking around not affected in any way?

If you think that's fair you're insane. The only way I'd agree with you is if everything else on the server was adjusted to make the lengthened jailtimes fair, because it seems you're cherry picking what you want to be accurate to irl.

I've deliberately kept jail times relatively inaccurate for that very reason; the fact of the matter is that the equation is already heavily tilted towards illegal RP in terms of the sorts of consequences that can be inflicted. What's insane is that you can attempt to CK someone and only receive 10 days in prison if you don't succeed. A month for armed robbery compared to the standard 15 years would still be unthinkably lax IRL, but we do still have the enjoyment of the player to think about in that equation. RPing in jail for a while is fun, but RPing in jail without hope of leaving in the next year because you were pulled over with a joint in your glovebox is much less so.

The difference between to the two sides of the comparison you're making is that nobody is forcing you to chop a car or shoot someone in the face - and as the original post states, I believe it's a fallacy to suggest this is a punishment for illegal RPers. We gravely need something to give criminals cause to think about the actions they are committing, rather than using flimsy excuses to shoot people - I've seen too many gunfights break out over so-and-so referring to so-and-so using some manner of derogatory language.

We have no need to tell people to avoid getting shot, or avoid getting their car stolen, on the other hand - it happens already. If you're in such a situation that you'll be caught shooting someone after they meaningfully provoke you, might I gently suggest that revenge is a dish best served cold.

No. The server’s already heavily legal sided. I can’t even understand the mentality behind supporting longer sentences. They’re already A LOT longer than what people are used to.

Law enforcement won’t have “motivation” by locking people up longer. This is a roleplay server. If all they worry about is locking people up, they might want to consider playing a cops and robbers server where all they have to worry about is locking people up. You won’t save prison/jail rp by making longer sentences. You need decent prison/jail gangs that are vastly active. They also need to know what they’re doing. You’ll have an active jail if you have more than 1 active prison gang.

As for the crime being rampant on the server argument, crime is rampant in LA too. Is it as bloody as it is on GTAW? No. One thing you all seem to have forgotten is the fact that it’s a game at the end of the day. It’ll be boring for illegal roleplayers(specifically street gangs) if the slightest thing they do lands them in jail for a month. This, in return, will kill most of the roleplay cops get in the server. This, in return, will kill their motivation. There are a lot of ways to improve jail roleplay, but this ain’t it. No one is playing the server to be locked up for a month lmfao

have you even done illegal roleplay if you think the equation is heavily tilted towards “illegal rpers” and have u ever heard of the point system?

Edited by RufioCas
  • Upvote 3

Agreed with @RufioCas. Server is way too legal sided.

Criminals make 0 money.

Why rob someone and get a minimum sentence of 30 days in prison when you'll just get maximum 5k and maybe a pistol...

Meanwhile, if you just buy a business that people will enter, you'll make $20,000 daily even if your business is garbage... just as long as people enter it.

Then you got the chopping cars, which could be profitable to an illegal RPer but really isn't worth it because you'd have to know where to chop cars, someone to chop said cars, a place to chop said cars, and a place to sell what you got from chopping cars...

Server is extremely legal sided. Jail sentences are already too long.

People already shoot at cops to get PKed and avoid jail time (and yes some get CKed, but even then it's better to get CKed than to wait 40 days on a court case to find out you just hit 30 points and you're getting life and have to name change or get a new character anyway).

On top of all that, you got soooo many cops in the poor areas that people actually go out of their way into the county or Vinewood to rob/steal/scam because otherwise, 5 cop cars will respond when you get pulled over for speeding... now imagine how many cops are coming if you've a APB on you and you just got spotted.

Most illegal factions I know do not make their money illegally. You can get 2 days in jail for just having drugs to sell, but the majority of the time, you won't be able to sell these drugs for a profit... You'll have to lower your price because the demand is way way lower than the supply.

Criminals RP criminals for FUN, not to "WIN"... cause if we wanted to make money, we'd just buy a business and advertise it to holy hell.

Legal RP makes 50 times more money than illegal RP, unless you're at the very top of the illegal RP scene as a gun/drug supplier... then maybe the money might be even.

There is lots of crime in the city, and I agree, it's a bit too much but the solution is simply NOT harsher jailtimes and sentences. Me personally? I think the solution would be to make a system where criminals can actually make money selling their drugs at street price, without having to rely on the low player base that actually buys drugs for personal use.

A system like that could even possibly prevent looting because right now people don't mind sticking around and getting a 15 minute ajail for looting their friend, but if they could make money just as easily as legal RPers... they definitely wouldn't risk regular or admin jail time to loot.

-1 from me. Increase jail times and there won't be much petty crime anymore. Without petty crimes, cops are gonna lose motivation because let's face it... why else are they responding 5 cars to a pull over? They're bored, they want action. Then you'll get cops leaving, criminals will start abusing the lack of cops (as they already do in certain timezones), and then you'll see just how legal sided everything was before.

(JUST LIKE @RufioCas SAID ABOVE)

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, Craazy said:

Criminals make 0 money.

People already shoot at cops to get PKed and avoid jail time (and yes some get CKed, but even then it's better to get CKed than to wait 40 days on a court case to find out you just hit 30 points and you're getting life and have to name change or get a new character anyway).

Most illegal factions I know do not make their money illegally. You can get 2 days in jail for just having drugs to sell, but the majority of the time, you won't be able to sell these drugs for a profit... You'll have to lower your price because the demand is way way lower than the supply.

+

Edited by Matey
1 minute ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

What? People get slapped on the wrist for basically everything that isn't a CK. You literally get out 3 times faster for logging in and RPing in jail. And people still don't do it. But they sure come to the forums to complain there ain't nothing to do in jail and it's dead. That's the best joke.

False.

Player-kills result in life sentences too. I just recently got 10 days in jail for punching someone out and they accepted death while PD was arresting me. My battery charge turned into an attempted murder charge for 10 days.

This happened less than 2 weeks ago.

I've lost my characters to many situations like this. Just the other day, I was shot and wounded... I didn't commit a crime, but I did have a firearm on me. I was searched, and arrested after I stepped out of the hospital... I spent 2 days in jail because I got shot.

I've got tons more if you need. Maybe you should try illegal RP before you think people get slapped on the wrist.

I'm not going to lie, there are instances where people do get slapped on the wrist, but more often than not, people are getting hammered across the face than getting slapped on the wrist.

In all honesty, sometimes people should be getting slapped on the wrist too. I lost one of my old characters because two randoms pulled out bats on me during an argument, and I decided to shoot them. I PKed both of them, and both respawned like nothing happened, but my character? Well he was wanted for two murders, 33 felony points, and on the run for a whole 2 weeks... Then I got PKed by a security guard who was trying to detain me for cops, and I ran SIMPLY because I knew I had a warrant on me...

But when I was PKed with my identification having already been revealed, the LEO parties refused to RP my ID on me even though I had just stepped out of a night club where I was even ID'd to get my drink... That being said, the ID was on me but LEOs refused to RP it so "i wouldn't get out of my warrant with a PK"... I'd be all fine for that if it weren't for the fact that everyone else involved could take a PK, but me? It was either a PK where I wouldn't be identified and it wouldn't change anything... or a CK.

I took it to forum reports, situation was voided, but when I got shot the next day by a rival faction? I took a CK because like I said in my earlier post, why would I want to stall RP, waiting for a court case to take 30-40 days, preventing me from deleting the character or namechanging the character during that time.

People aren't going to want to RP in prison for long term periods of time, and that's a fact. They can complain about no RP in prison, but that's on them. It's not a solution to increase jailtimes and demotivate people more, just to make those who don't create jail RP in the first place happy.

1 hour ago, Craazy said:

Agreed with @RufioCas. Server is way too legal sided.

Criminals make 0 money.

Why rob someone and get a minimum sentence of 30 days in prison when you'll just get maximum 5k and maybe a pistol...

Meanwhile, if you just buy a business that people will enter, you'll make $20,000 daily even if your business is garbage... just as long as people enter it.

Then you got the chopping cars, which could be profitable to an illegal RPer but really isn't worth it because you'd have to know where to chop cars, someone to chop said cars, a place to chop said cars, and a place to sell what you got from chopping cars...

On top of all that, you got soooo many cops in the poor areas that people actually go out of their way into the county or Vinewood to rob/steal/scam because otherwise, 5 cop cars will respond when you get pulled over for speeding... now imagine how many cops are coming if you've a APB on you and you just got spotted.

Criminals RP criminals for FUN, not to "WIN"... cause if we wanted to make money, we'd just buy a business and advertise it to holy hell.

Legal RP makes 50 times more money than illegal RP, unless you're at the very top of the illegal RP scene as a gun/drug supplier... then maybe the money might be even.

There is lots of crime in the city, and I agree, it's a bit too much but the solution is simply NOT harsher jailtimes and sentences. Me personally? I think the solution would be to make a system where criminals can actually make money selling their drugs at street price, without having to rely on the low player base that actually buys drugs for personal use.

A system like that could even possibly prevent looting because right now people don't mind sticking around and getting a 15 minute ajail for looting their friend, but if they could make money just as easily as legal RPers... they definitely wouldn't risk regular or admin jail time to loot.

-1 from me. Increase jail times and there won't be much petty crime anymore. Without petty crimes, cops are gonna lose motivation because let's face it... why else are they responding 5 cars to a pull over? They're bored, they want action. Then you'll get cops leaving, criminals will start abusing the lack of cops (as they already do in certain timezones), and then you'll see just how legal sided everything was before.

(JUST LIKE @RufioCas SAID ABOVE)

Basically this. It's a big no.

• MomoIsHere changed the title to Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]
  • MomoIsHere locked this topic