Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]

12 minutes ago, Entity said:

I also support this. After roleplaying around TTCF for some time, it's quite clear that the vast majority of people actually doing proper character development while imprisoned are lifer characters. Normal characters who break laws and end up in prison usually do not do much roleplay for one simple reason - they're not going to be imprisoned for long enough for it to be worth starting anything more complex. Moreover, most of these people are not even engaging in light roleplay and would much rather just AFK their sentence.

You can't even blame them - if you've been in a high-speed pursuit, punched a police officer and robbed a store, knowing you'll be out in a few days in which you don't even have to log in does the opposite of encouraging RP. However, if your crimes got you locked up for a week then you might be incentivized to at least engage (and see how awesome prison RP can get). If you went on a crime spree and ended up with a two month sentence, then so be it. Having people break laws in a medium to heavy manner and only be locked up for a small amount if time only affects everyone in a negative way - both their characters' development as well as prison RPers and COs. Prison is a scary thing in real life, partly because of the habitat and partly because of the amount of time you waste by being locked up. It's not the case in-game and it should be changed.

You can argue that they can just not use /release as their time is up but that, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of the prison system. TTCF should forcefully keep characters and players locked up for the length of their sentence and release them afterwards - no prisoner would realistically postpone their release date to wash a few more clothes or do a work detail.  

Those people will just afk again only for longer lmfao

I also dont agree with the lifer argument as a lifer, gang rpers get a lot of development out of it, and I know it first hand. People who want to roleplay will roleplay regardless of their sentence length. 

Edited by RufioCas
23 minutes ago, RufioCas said:

Those people will just afk again only for longer lmfao

There's definitely going to be some people who will still AFK, but that's a different category of players. Just to give a clear example - if you end up in prison for reckless driving you're going to spend an hour there. Chances are, no one's even online to roleplay with or no events are taking place. If you evade a peace officer, you're in prison for one day.

The problem is that no meaningful RP can be created in a day and especially not in an hour. Your character is obviously not going to be affected by the time spent in prison since you might not even get to experience prison at all. There's no point in even starting a conversation just to finish it soon or never meet that person again because your sentence expires in minutes. 

If evading a peace officer brings you two weeks in jail (with the same condition that time passes faster if you RP), that'd be a much better occasion to make some connections, actually be influenced by IC events that happen there, take part in a few jail events, RP visitation and much, much more. If you're there for a day you'll most likely do nothing even if you would want to or whatever you do won't be very relevant to your character.

Long and serious prison sentences would make the whole prison system much better, more realistic and more active. It's nice roleplaying with lifers and people disputing charges but inmates who're just passing through are extremely common in real life and are almost non-existent on GTA World because of this reason.  

11 hours ago, Bospy said:

I'm not leaving anything, there's script developments in the jail right now. I don't propose we sit around and do nothing either, that's a strawman.

If there are script developments, doesn't that defeat your earlier point that there are no script developments and therefore we should not increase jail sentencing?

The staff team is growing with each passing recruitment cycle. You should join and contribute, as should many other people. The problem is we don't have enough staff members dedicated purely to the nitty-gritty detail-oriented stuff.

The staff team here does not want me - that, I can guarantee you.

That said, I've been a part of staff teams for other servers with similar player populations (and a much smaller staff-to-player ratio) who had much more creative freedom to instigate events and the like.  Trust me when I say that staff count isn't a problem GTAW has - it's an unwillingness to stick with a much needed change because, in your words, "people will complain about the change within a month and it will be reverted."

You're correct to point out that this change will result in a lower amount of crime overall, but my contention is that the vast majority of crimes we will lose are the ones that are poorly motivated and/or poorly portrayed. Viewing jail as a "punishment" for the player is a fallacy; despite the character suffering a punishment, the player is actually within one of the best environments to make criminal contacts and integrate into the illegal community. Quantity will decrease, but quality will increase - not because the prospect of a large sentence will bring out the best RPer in everyone, but those who view illegal RP as a script grind will run the numbers and discover it's not worth the risk. The LEO roleplayer would much rather have time to develop their character than deal with having to /report someone who logs off, or worse yet, have to come to the forums to make their case.

Without as many reports to sort through, dare I say the staff team could be freed up for more productive contributions.

People can make themselves less enticing victims if they're constantly being robbed. Criminals who commit suicide by cop are already CK'd if it's egregious enough.

I would support increasing jail sentences if we upped the ante on multiple other facets of the server's atmosphere. If the courts treated criminal charges realistically, for instance, they would be dropping charges left, right, and center. People would be arrested and cut loose right away. The jail could turn people away for having alcohol in their system.

Most people don't realize this, but incarceration rates in the United States are shrinking and a state like San Andreas would seek every viable alternative for someone entering the system prior to prison/jail.

The problem is that what qualifies as "enticing" is simply someone roleplaying outside, and the server's script funnels players in a particular direction regardless of whether a character would realistically visit that area. The Davis LTD was a prime example of sports car owning individuals being forced to drive to the most crime-ridden parts of the city because they wanted to purchase a pack of cards, only to get a little more than they bargained for.

If suicide by cop is already a CK, I don't see how that would be a preferable alternative to spending a little more time in jail.

With regards to dropping charges though, I absolutely agree with you.

I was involved with the legal sphere on the criminal defense side for some time, and the sheer dogged pursuit of every single charge is outrageous - even when the charge is obviously unsupportable. I was disappointed that the response was to stall the case for a good month until the prosecution could sort through its staffing issues when the clear answer was to dismiss the cases I'm thinking of, rather than overworking their attorney on every single charge. That's not something I'm in a position to impact any more, unfortunately.

A police officer in my state was killed by a guy who had 200 prior arrests. My cousin was shot by a guy with a large wrapsheet. He was shot four times. How long do you think he'll get in prison? Probably less than 8 years.

I'm sure they threw the book at the cop killer. We can speculate about the sentencing of the man who shot your cousin (I hope he's okay, at least,) but my point is that no matter the sentence he receives, he won't be out of jail in time for him to visit your cousin at the hospital. Our system on the server would allow for something like that, and that's not remotely realistic.

I'm all for script options for prison. I'm all for introducing flexibility in judicial responses to charges. If there's anything we can do to make this more palatable and more fair for everyone involved, the better - that's something I think we can agree on.

2 hours ago, RufioCas said:

I said this before, I’ll say it again since OP does a good job at ignoring good points to push his own agenda.

I'll say this once - I'm not interested in engaging your arguments, not because they're too good for me to refute or however you're framing yourself, but I'm simply not interested in an unproductive discussion. You, like others I've chosen to ignore, impute bad motives to the idea without knowing anything about me or my characters for the sole reason that I happen to disagree with you. The point of this suggestion thread is to make the idea better and find common ground on which to build a more realistic and sustainable system for the server to work with.

If you're not here for that, kindly butt out.

Edited by Smilesville
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MomoIsHere changed the title to Lengthen Prison Sentences [G]
  • MomoIsHere locked this topic