What are your strengths & weaknesses as a roleplayer?

Shaderz

Strengths

I'm always able to keep a certain personality with my characters, and the fact that none of them represent how I am in real life is a good thing, it shows I'm doing a good job of roleplaying.

Weaknesses

Finding people to rp with, and just being pretty awkward in general. Like once I find someone I'm able to roleplay with, that's good because then I start meeting other people but it's normally hard for me to find people to continuously roleplay with though because I'm just generally nervous IC and OOC.

• Upvote 3

Biggest weakness I recon is sticking to a legal character when developing one. I always tend to lean to corrupt acts within department boundaries OOCly. I don't want to break rules but releasing a guy who's supposed to go in for ten minutes with no traces and with no paperwork is fine. Also, adding some charges into the list that you would not need to add (charges that apply to Officer Discretion) to people who are toxic ICly is something I tend to do. It's after all up to me if I want the charges or not.

Biggest quality is probably sticking to ideas and executing them. I mean, I RPed a social media drug seller for a street gang in another server for 2-3 months, only sticking to Social Media for the time. I have done plenty of gang RP, mafia RP and such, where I also sticks to one field until I can open another one. I focused on the legal side of my most recent illegal character in a mob and then slowly developed the other aspects of how the character operates and goes through it's daily life.

Weakness: I am having trouble creating unique and interesting background character stories and I can sometimes be repetitive with them. 
Strength: I don't mix OOCLY stuff IC or the other way around. I think I got more strengths somewhere but I cant think of any right now ;)

I tend to be really independent in my roleplay. That works for me because it allows me to jump in and out when I want to and it gives me a lot more control over my character's narrative. However it is obviously a weakness for faction based roleplay.

Also, I've not got a lot of experience with large IC events. The sync issues with the chat boxes (is that just me?) make me extremely confused at times as to what is actually happening during group conversations when several people are around. 

Not sure to consider it a strenght or not but being very realistic with my roleplay. I immerse deeply with my character. I can literally go to the apartment just to do an outfit change even if no one is watching, while I can just do it beside my car,  and no one will notice. I can be in the office in game while I am writing a forums topic or even editing screenshots as a roleplay to my work even if no one of the faction is online. I can waste half an hour on just spawning the faction cars and park them in a right order  even if no one is going to use them or even see them. Maybe it is an obsession, but I enjoy doing it.

On the other hand, I am little akward when introduced to new characters IC. I am not sure how to get involved immediately like others do or even after few days. This leads to not having a wide base of players to roleplay with which limits my options of roleplaying. I find this something that I am working on changing it, hopefully I will succeed.

Edited by Excellence

Strengths: 

not going to make myself look like god

Weaknesses:

My biggest weakness is that I can't get out of a character's mood quickly, I'll often talk as if I'm still playing a Rancho teenager when I'm a twenty year old Asian man, on top of that..it's hard for me to let go of characters that I loved to portray after they might die or be incarnated. I also think one of my biggest weaknesses can be my lack of patience for starting off on a new char because I have to start over again, which is never personally fun for me. 

Edited by ZaE
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Weaknesses

- Can get in a rut cycle of repetitive /me descriptions to fill time or break up dialogue unnecessarily
- Can over use actions in emotes, often
- Find it difficult to be in the middle, I'm either excessively descriptive, recycling descriptive or excessively short-hand
- Difficult to consistently react in time to a situation that's urgent, or when I do it doesn't feel necessarily appropriate
- Horrendous at replicating moods that a character ought to react to and be reactive in, i.e. nightclubs where your motivation is, you're there to dance, drink, do drugs be wild - and instead you stand at the bar.. or talk to two people, and not do things your character otherwise might
- Overuse of underuse of appropriate terminology, generally being inconsistent across the board
- For an outgoing character, as a player connecting with an extroverted personality type even as a simulation meets with interesting foibles.. 
- Switching mentalities between characters, especially going from one high intensity scene to another to completely different emotional states and psychological conditions - I very much need to be sharper with this
- Dialogue can be bland, either sticking to conventional English without acknowledging phonetic nuance, slang and idioms - OR - the complete opposite, using apostrophes in excess to simulate phonetic form and accent (even though it might not fit) 

There's a lot more, but these off the top of my head are mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Strengths:

I am damn good at developing deep personalities for my characters, staying in character, and going through how my characters think, feel, and react in any given situation.  I don't care what anybody says.

I'm good at supporting other people's roleplaying and I don't need to 'win'.  I'm good at 'sharing' rp and helping others have a good experience.

I'm very good at immersion, playing my characters' slices of life.

Weaknesses:

I get tired and irritable sometimes, and it leaks through, especially when people are being jackasses.

• Wuhtah locked this topic