What are your strengths & weaknesses as a roleplayer?

Shaderz

I'm interested to know what people's self-reflection of their own strengths and weaknesses is as a roleplayer. What are you good at and what aren't you good at? What areas of roleplay do you think you should improve on and, in contrast, what type of roleplay do you think you are really experienced in? No one is a perfect roleplayer so don't be afraid to speak out. 

• Applaud 1

Strengths: Often able to produce unique characters with unique concepts that are rarely practiced on the server.

I don't mix I.C. with O.O.C., able to separate the self from the character, while also connecting and relating with the character to make the experience deeper.

Weaknesses: At times, I often use /me's as a filler, causing them to be very basic and bland, since I dislike when the screen is only filled with verbal text. "/me nods his head" or "/me bops his head, up and down". Challenging to be descriptive or creative, at times, with them, unless it's really needed. Often easier to express situations with verbal words rather than actions. Then again, heavily descriptive "/mes" aren't always needed in a situation, but I still feel that they could improve. 

• Upvote 1

Strengths:

My biggest strength is the ability to role-play a diverse selection of characters. Each of my characters are different from each other when it comes to the way they speak, what they value, their motivations, etc. I am good at being able to step back and think about how each of my characters would react to a situation. To get a gist of how diverse my characters, my characters range from:

• a hard-working and kind pregnant lady with a criminal ex-husband and adopted son
  • a flamboyant homosexual man who loves dancing, modelling and working at a sex shop
  • a morbidly obese, loud, aggressive potty-mouthed  “woman” who commits petty crimes, entertains people for a living and hangs with her biker friends.
  • a chain-smoking, rebellious girl who attends university and suffers from an eating disorder

Weaknesses:

My biggest weakness is that I can be repetitive in the way I write. As a result, I occasionally repeat the same /me’s or write incredibly short /me’s that lack detail. I need to work on broadening my vocabulary and learn how to be more descriptive.

Edited by LovelyLilac
Fixed a spelling mistake.

Strengths: Everything.

Weaknesses: Nothing. 

Seriously though - I feel my character "designs" and the way I present said characters is something a lot of people seem to enjoy which is great but like above ^ my emotes can feel lacking sometimes because of the samey sort of way I word them, I play with a lot of the amazing RP'ers who word their emotes beautifully and it's always been an inspiration to try reach their level of wordy-ness, I don't wanna be a drag after all. 

If you're looking for words to substitute for other words try this out, it's helped/still helps me from time to time: 

https://synonym.wordhippo.com/

1 hour ago, LovelyLilac said:

Strengths:

My biggest strength is the ability to role-play a diverse selection of characters. Each of my characters are different from each other when it comes to the way they speak, what they value, their motivations, etc. I am good at being able to step back and think about how each of my characters would react to a situation. To get a gist of how diverse my characters, my characters range from:

• a hard-working and kind pregnant lady with a criminal ex-husband and adopted son
  • a flamboyant homosexual man who loves dancing, modelling and working at a sex shop
  • a morbidly obese, loud, aggressive potty-mouthed  “woman” who commits petty crimes, entertains people for a living and hangs with her biker friends.
  • a chain-smoking, rebellious girl who attends university and suffers from an eating disorder

Weaknesses:

My biggest weakness is that I can be repetitive in the way I write. As a result, I occasionally repeat the same /me’s or write incredibly short /me’s that lack detail. I need to work on broadening my vocabulary and learn how to be more descriptive.

I have this same Weakness!

I suppose my strength is really being the character, the second I log in, I am my character, I know her friends, how she feels and what to do which is completely different my IRL persona!

Strengths

I can roleplay lots of different characters, even though I only have two I actively play (cop & adopted teen);

I can be really descriptive in my /me's.

I get really immersed in the world while I am roleplaying

Weaknesses

I get way too attached to my characters, making it hard for me to CK them, etc when the time comes;

I struggle to do cool and interesting passive rp/solo rp sometimes. I like having action & at least someone else to rp with to make it fun

• Thanks 1

I can roleplay unique ideas when I want to, and often times do. I can also roleplay under stress while sticking to my character and how they are. On the otherside though anxiety and I have a rough time just going there and roleplaying with new people unless introduced. 

• Upvote 1

Not gonna toot my own horn when it comes to strengths, BUT, when it comes to weaknesses, I think one of my biggest weaknesses is difficulty to retain characters. Usually when I end up at a roadblock with a character, I begin to do irrationally risky things for the sake of a kick out of it, which usually ends up in me being CK'd, not even just on GTAW.

Not gonna say anything about strengths as I'm sure most I could mention have already been mentioned. But, weaknesses are things such as getting bored with characters, I struggle with motivation when I run out of ideas for a character which leads me to do things that might take my character development in a way I don't want it to go. Another, heat of the moment decisions that tend to break my character development (Something that leads to the end of the character).

• Wuhtah locked this topic