Players Drop Items Upon Disconnecting/Changing Character

Short description: 

When a player is in the "injured" or "dead" state, the player will automatically drop all the items in their inventory upon disconnect or changing character in the same manner the items would drop if the player used the command: /acceptdeath

Detailed Description: 

I'd first like to preface that I am not a developer so I have no concept of if/how this could be implemented, or how difficult that undertaking would be. This suggestion is made in the hopes that it is both possible, and straightforward to implement. 

If you're like me and occasionally look at the forum's report section, you'll notice a very common theme of players abusing the game's disconnect and the /changechar function in order to "keep" their items. These players will log on at a later date and /acceptdeath for their friends to pick these items up off their bodies. This is classic Non-RP and Play-to-Win behavior. Usually the players in question are punished for this behavior, but it remains a mainstay of the report section. It's inconvenient to the parties involved, and it perpetuates a "PUBG" mentality in which "loot" is held in a higher esteem then roleplay.

Overall, the suggestion is simple: players who are in the dead/injured state will drop all their items upon attempting to disconnect from the server or /changechar in the same manner items are dropped upon using the /acceptdeath command. Players who crash instead of intentionally disconnect will of course be subject to dropping their items since the process will be automatic.

Commands to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server?: 

You cannot stop players from disconnecting to avoid roleplay, but you can minimalize the incentive to do so, and the effect this has on the roleplay itself. By forcing players to drop their items, you remove the incentive of disconnecting in the first place: I.E to keep their "loot".  If players do disconnect, it is easier to continue the roleplay in their absence.

This should marginally improve the workload administrators face, since many reports are made to account for exactly this kind of situation (see addition information). 

Additional information:

Here are a series of reports I've pulled that account for players either disconnecting, changing character, or crashing after being put into the injured/dead state:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

It's inconvenient to the parties involved, and it perpetuates a "PUBG" mentality in which "loot" is held in a higher esteem then roleplay.

Unfortunately, this is a two-way road. I can understand the frustration that comes along with it, but the same incentive or problem can be seen on the opposite party. Assuming a player crashes and comes back to find out the opposing party or a 3rd party "looted" their body and disappeared (and is either refusing to return and roleplay or is not able to be contacted due to masks and other measurements to conceal ones identity) you have the same problem, just 180° turned. You solve one issue, another one takes its place seeing as the "meta" is breeding ground for low quality roleplay - as seen with robberies, extortion and other crimes from both suspects and victims alike.

You could even go as far and say the same mentality for gathering script assets is on you by posting this suggestion. Why would you be interested in the items a person is carrying on them right after shooting or beating them to death. The last thought would be conducting a full strip search and take everything they have rather than, you know, getting as far away from the crime scene as possible because you do not want to spend years in prison for a homicide.

What I could see as a suggestion to prevent abuse from either side is an automatic /acceptdeath or similar upon disconnecting or switching characters - leaving both the body and items behind. This allows for less abuse of a situation in which a person crashes and/or intentionally quits the game to "save" their "loot" whilst also ensuring the opposit party does not make a fiest out of free items and no body to be taken care of. Yes, this suggestion has its own downsides (e.g. what happens if player X crashes and returns), but is a better middle ground than A; No body, no items or B; No body, dropped items when a player disconnects or crashes.

3 hours ago, orca112 said:

Assuming a player crashes and comes back to find out the opposing party or a 3rd party "looted" their body and disappeared (and is either refusing to return and roleplay or is not able to be contacted due to masks and other measurements to conceal ones identity) you have the same problem, just 180° turned.

This did occur to me; that the exact same mentality can be flipped. However, I believe the cases of people disconnecting to avoid roleplay in the interest of "saving" their items far outweighs the occurrences of players who crash directly after being killed. Even more-so the number of players who will find themselves in the exact situation you've laid out. I am not an admin. I don't have the full list of cases in front of me, but I believe that the particular niche circumstance you're referring to would be few and far between in comparison.

To reiterate, the purpose of this suggestion is to decentivize people from disconnecting to save their "loot", and thereby having to be reported, tracked down by the admins through logs, and A-jailed for disrupting everyone else's roleplay. Will it stop everyone from disconnecting after being killed? No, certainly not, but removing the player's incentive to do so will make a substantial difference in limiting the behavior.

You could even go as far and say the same mentality for gathering script assets is on you by posting this suggestion.

I read reports and see a pattern of behavior that I believe should not be perpetuated, and can easily be decentivize through this suggestion. Please scrutinizing the suggestion, not the person who posts it.

What I could see as a suggestion to prevent abuse from either side is an automatic /acceptdeath or similar upon disconnecting or switching characters - leaving both the body and items behind. This allows for less abuse of a situation in which a person crashes and/or intentionally quits the game to "save" their "loot" whilst also ensuring the opposit party does not make a fiest out of free items and no body to be taken care of. Yes, this suggestion has its own downsides (e.g. what happens if player X crashes and returns), but is a better middle ground than A; No body, no items or B; No body, dropped items when a player disconnects or crashes.

I'm not against this; My suggestion was made with /acceptdeath in mind, I.E: players who are put into the "dead" state and disconnect/changechar/crash automatically have an /acceptdeath function imposed upon them and are therefore considered PKed. Because it would function in a very similar way to /acceptdeath, a body would be left behind.

My only stipulation is for players who crash/changechar/disconnect within in the "injured" state. Should they leave a body behind? In my opinion, they should but this is of course up to community speculation.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...