Why are guns so damn expensive?

SpeedOfThought

I was just having this discussion with some folks in the Discord server, but I decided to bring it here as well. For players like me who want to get into doing robberies, I don't wanna save up for hours and spend a small fortune just to get a small handgun. While this server does have a lot of players, and making guns easier to obtain could cause chaos, I think that it is highly unlikely that it will happen. I mean spending 30-40k for a pistol just seems kind of ridiculous to me. I could buy a pretty nice car for that much money. Yes, I understand the economy in game is different, but that price range still seems insane. I think making guns easier to obtain will just make robberies something that happen more often, and there will be more shootouts. But this is GTA - that is part of this game. If roleplayed correctly, I am perfectly fine with getting robbed - it's part of the game, and I have already been robbed several times. It's just kind of annoying for a player like me who wants to get into robberies to have to use a bat or a knife until I get enough for a gun and then go broke after buying it, and then possibly lose it in by getting robbed or killed. This is just my opinion on the topic, but I would love to hear what you guys think as well. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedOfThought said:

I think 10k is a good price to get a handgun illegally. That way I won't go broke everytime I want to buy a gun ICly. 

Well to be honest. Not trying to sound passive-aggressive or anything but, just be smart. If you want to keep your weapon, play safe. Don't do stupid shit. 

Just now, Wolfyy said:

a gun is 40 bands because the demand is high and they supply low

Yes, but for players like me who want to get into robberies, I don't want to save up for hours and spend a small fortune just to go broke after buying a handgun and then have to do it again after I lose it from getting robbed or killed. I can get a gun and 100 bullets for like 10k if I get it legally.

1 minute ago, Tennplugg said:

Well to be honest. Not trying to sound passive-aggressive or anything but, just be smart. If you want to keep your weapon, play safe. Don't do stupid shit. 

You can play safe, but you never know what can happen. I've literally played safe and done nothing and still managed to get robbed. 

Just now, SpeedOfThought said:

Yes, but for players like me who want to get into robberies, I don't want to save up for hours and spend a small fortune just to go broke after buying a handgun and then have to do it again after I lose it from getting robbed or killed. I can get a gun and 100 bullets for like 10k if I get it legally.

You don't need a gun to perform robberies. 
Illegal guns are riskier, therefore more expensive. 

1 minute ago, Tennplugg said:

You don't need a gun to perform robberies. 
Illegal guns are riskier, therefore more expensive. 

You can rob someone with a bat or a knife, but it makes it a lot harder. If I have a knife or bat, I would have to get close to the person, and even with a bat someone can possibly fight back. I see your point though on why they are expensive, cause as you mentioned, illegal guns are riskier. I just hate saving up for hours to afford a pistol for the price of a car, especially for my character who is young and doesn't have a ton of money to blow on a gun. I understand your point though.