Payphones

Ryoichi

Because when someone is calling you from the payphone, you literally don't know a jack shit about who's calling you. While using a mobile phone, you have the number that might be saved in your contacts list. It doesn't make any sense to hide the names while having a phone call using your mobile phone.

If we're talking about the chat not displaying names when calling from a payphone (have not used a payphone yet), then it's indeed odd.

I can recognize a person I'm familiar with by voice, regardless of what phone they call me with. But that's something we can't portray in a text based setting, so the names being hidden without actually using anything to alter one's voice is a weird choice.

10 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

Because when someone is calling you from the payphone, you literally don't know a jack shit about who's calling you. While using a mobile phone, you have the number that might be saved in your contacts list. It doesn't make any sense to hide the names while having a phone call using your mobile phone.

That is valid but what about when someone calls you and you don't have their number saved? The logic is the same. Character names should be removed too in this instance, since you don't know anything about them, unless you've met them before long enough to be able to recognize their voice, but let's be honest, do most people not have their numbers already saved in this case? 

1 minute ago, Shaderz said:

That is valid but what about when someone calls you and you don't have their number saved? The logic is the same. Character names should be removed too in this instance, since you don't know anything about them, unless you've met them before long enough to be able to recognize their voice, but let's be honest, do most people not have their numbers already saved in this case? 

Having the numbers saved or not, it's pointless. Let's remove names all together from everything, just because there are no names when someone is calling you from a payphone. It's a fiesta, and not something that Developers or Management should focus on, at all.

7 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

Having the numbers saved or not, it's pointless. Let's remove names all together from everything, just because there are no names when someone is calling you from a payphone. It's a fiesta, and not something that Developers or Management should focus on, at all.

I'm using the same logic you used to argue that names shouldn't appear when you're called from the payphone and applying it to when you're called by someone whose number isn't saved on your contacts list. Can you tell me the difference between these two, and why one should have character names visible in chat when you're talking to them and the other not?

This isn't about removing names all together or whether developers or management should focus on, it's about using the same principle and criteria and applying it where suitable, which I think is the case here.

Just now, Shaderz said:

I'm using the same logic you used to argue that names shouldn't appear when you're called from the payphone and applying it to when you're called by someone whose number isn't saved on your contacts list. Can you tell me the difference between these two, and why one should have character names visible in chat when you're talking to them and the other not?

This isn't about removing names all together or whether developers or management should focus on, it's about using the same principle and criteria and applying it where suitable, which I think is the case here.

Payphone - mobile phone. Huge difference that explains every possible reason you guys are seeking to know.

35 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

Payphone - mobile phone. Huge difference that explains every possible reason you guys are seeking to know.

Huge difference indeed, but not when it comes to calling people. Unknown/unsaved number via payphone, no character name. Unknown/unsaved number via mobile phone, yes character name. This doesn't make sense. Either it shows for both, or it doesn't show for any. 

Edited by Shaderz

because it would look weird doing /mask in the middle of the street to rp altering ur voice. A lot of times payphones will be used for illegal purposes where u dont want the other person to be able to metagame ur name, mobile phones require u to give the person ur number so they will most likely know ur voice 9/10 times

if it bothers u that much just dont use payphones