Realism vs Fun

Entity

5 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

The topic kind of suggests that the two are mutually exclusive and/or not compatible and I think this is somewhat of a misnomer.

This. A role player should gain OOC satisfaction out of role playing. In the setting we are in, role playing that's bound to realism.

Anyhow, if you need to "sacrifice" role playing (or role playing quality) in order to have fun in a role playing playground, then perhaps such playground isn't for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be cool to see a poll on this question. Personally, realism drains alot of fun for people. Most of us have jobs in real life and we don't want to leave our jobs to go home and do paperwork. That being said, I'm fun over realism. I go for roleplay which I find personally fun and can't do in RL. Soooo flying a helicopter in PD is typically my go to. 

I'd say realism as I can't really stand fiction too much just because it's fun. I've seen how much "fun" can ruin the quality. Thing is we are roleplaying in a fiction supposed to be somewhat realistic by replacing the real Cali, LA. Truth is if you go on a 1:1 scale on realism, it's probably going to get boring pretty quick as life in general is not that wow and in fact it's pretty normal with a generic routine. However, if you combine the two concepts and apply them that's what in my opinion separates the good from the bad.

• Upvote 1

I've had multiple interactions with players that when approached about their concerning assets or characters, saying I am ''dictating their roleplay'', and ''ruining their fun''. I, personally find it the most fun when I portray a character. A character with real emotions, his own dress sense, quirks, hobbies, attitude, behavior, issues, et cetera, not just an extended version of myself. I aim to portray something that would realistically happen and at times even just civilians that aim to be a third party character outside of the ''criminal vs law enforcement'' norm which I've noticed. That is what I find fun. 

I don't really find running businesses, racing, or grinding the same job fun, but I have noticed that many others do. People aim to make as much money as possible from different IC jobs, whether that would be to open up doors for future RP or just to seem wealthy in their own eyes. It's simply all just not my cup of tea.

I find the most fun in opening up new RP opportunities that have either not been done, been done incorrectly, or haven't been done in a long while. I find the uniqueness of roleplay I do and the thought process behind improving it very enjoyable as people tend to enjoy it.

But each to their own.

• Upvote 1