Realism vs Fun

Entity

12 minutes ago, Woona said:

Should be kept in mind that realism doesn't mean 1:1 to reality. On that note, I prefer realism which will produce fun in the long run. You burn out if you do a shooting everyday.

I agree, but the suggestion given in the topic seems to indicate one of the more toxic forms that encouragement of realism can take.

16 hours ago, Entity said:

For context, this topic comes as a follow-up of another topic in which the discussion shifted towards how people should RP doing drugs just because it's realistic while they didn't necessarily plan on doing so. That's actually something that's very common - roleplaying something that you don't OOCly enjoy in order for your character to me more and more realistic. It's something that mostly happens around illegal factions but it's not limited to illegal factions.

I don't agree with the idea that a player should be pushed into RPing something they don't want to. We have rules surrounding this for sexual roleplay for obvious reasons, but there are a wide variety of scenarios that are acceptable to push someone into that don't receive the same sort of attention.

I haven't quite discovered the answer, mind, but I like to think we can find a happy medium between You Must RP Everything I Force You To and You Don't Have To RP Anything Slightly Inconvenient To You.

3 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

The hypocrisy exists in demanding 1:1 realism in some aspects but completely ignoring it in others.

Demand 100% realism or get off your high horse with regards to other styles of play - for example, demanding that extortion victims fear their aggressors without a shred of thought given to RPing fear of the police.

Your disdain and utter lack of regard for whether your fellow players are enjoying the game we share says volumes about you, and I hope you stop to reevaluate how spiteful you repeatedly come off to others for the crime of having an opinion different from your own.

You know it's funny that you felt the need to go back through my replies in other threads only to cherry pick them in what I assume is an attempt to paint me in a bad light. Sadly, I'm perfectly contempt with the way I conduct myself on the forums, that includes the cherry picked responses. I'm a firm believer that when someone's promoting stupid ideas, they deserve to be called out but since your such a big fan of mine you'd know that behind every blunt response of mine is a well thought out and explainable position, which in most cases I've already said multiple times before I decide to be blunt. That includes my view of extortion which you had to water down to fit your narrative of me.

As for the rest of your reply, If you don't like Realism, don't play on a Heavy Roleplay server.

Realism is fun. I don’t log onto a heavy roleplay server for mediocre roleplay which isn’t fun for myself nor the other party. Everyone should strive to be as realistic as possible; roleplay alcohol properly, drugs, drink driving, simple stuff like that really brings your immersion up tenfold and in turn (in my opinion) makes roleplaying funner. The majority of illegal gangs strive to emulate their real life counterparts (or take inspiration from them at least) so I don’t see why the rest of the server cannot follow suit.

Here is your first problem. Thinking that Realism and Fun are separate dichotomies to begin with, to even warrant a discussion. Everyone here is here for fun, no matter what they say otherwise. If they want realism, it's called life. And they're playing a game to be in a fantasy of the life they wish to have, or would like to portray. Simple as that. 

• Upvote 1

the trick is to find a form of roleplay that's enjoyable for you to portray realistically. I very much enjoy the roleplay I myself am doing and I try to keep it as realistic as possible. I do admit there are some parts I found to be a bit tedious and boring but it isn't very often that happens and the experiences I face normally make up for those brief moments. 

Roleplay fun things that are realistic, don't roleplay realistic things that aren't fun.

Sometimes you have to roleplay realistic things that aren't fun for you, but are fun for the other player. Like in any multyplayer game you can't have everything go your way.

Sometimes you roleplay realistic things that aren't fun, so you can develop your character letting you roleplay fun things later.

3 hours ago, Henning said:

Sadly, I'm perfectly contempt with the way I conduct myself on the forums, that includes the cherry picked responses. I'm a firm believer that when someone's promoting stupid ideas, they deserve to be called out but since your such a big fan of mine you'd know that behind every blunt response of mine is a well thought out and explainable position, which in most cases I've already said multiple times before I decide to be blunt. That includes my view of extortion which you had to water down to fit your narrative of me.

As for the rest of your reply, If you don't like Realism, don't play on a Heavy Roleplay server.

That word "contempt" - I don't think it means what you think it means.

And you're mistaken if you came away with the impression that I'm any fan of yours. "I'm glad you see how stupid your logic was" is not being blunt, it's being arrogant and condescending, which circles back to my point that having such contempt for your fellow roleplayers is not a healthy attitude with regards to the group collaborative writing that GTAW essentially is.

It's not that people don't understand what you're trying to say - they simply disagree. Realism and fun don't have to be ends on the scale, as was mentioned several times, but when they are in conflict the obvious answer is to cede to fun in most circumstances.

Or, in the format you provided at the bottom, there:

If you prefer realism to fun, then go outside instead of playing a game.

Edited by Smilesville

I adhere to realism with some artistic licenses (mostly because I am absolutely incapable of juggling alts): I take certain liberties with things like time to assume that many things happen which are not always RPed (and which only affect myself). I am lenient with myself in some aspects of my RP because I like to maximize my level of interaction with the environment. In my head, essentially, GTAW time simply is NOT equal to real world time. This is also represented by relationships and characters around me. Despite the search for realism, GTAW is simply faster and operates under different rules and systems than real life, and that's in my opinion fine. I like to think that I adhere to what I call in-universe realism, or GTAW realism.

So for example: my character goes to ULSA, runs a food truck, and also likes to enjoy an active social life. Many might argue that you can't run a food truck and study at the same time (and they'd be right, the logistics of a food truck are mad IRL), but I take the liberty of doing it because it allows me to tell different, interconnected stories, and I try to have it show the appropriate impact on my character. Nobody (or not a majority) is here to work a 9 to 5 job or deny themselves quality time with their hobby like that, and I feel that my personal story is worth telling (poor immigrant trying to pay for University while providing social RP to South LS rather than being a trucker).

Edited by Koko

The whole point of roleplaying is to get a sense of realism, or was I wrong? 

I think for us to have to pick between realism and fun doesn't make sense because realism on a roleplay server is fun. What makes roleplaying fun for me is the fact that you start out with a character, and you begin progressing, and then it turns into a story. When you make a character you aren't intentionally saying in your head " my character is going to do this, and he's going to do this by doing this and that." For me, that kills the game.

Your surroundings, and your elements shape up your character's story, and that's why I think realism is very important sometimes, but we should never go overboard with it.  

All you need to do is have fun roleplaying realistically. Realism just means we're grounded in the realms of reality, it doesn't mean you need to one to one copy things, it can be your own take that makes it fun for you, it should simply be believable and realistic.