Realism vs Fun

Entity

33 minutes ago, hentai! said:

Realism through fun all the way. I RP-ed gang life first, then the PTSD caused by it, then therapy and we'll see where life takes my character now. 

I've had fun doing all of this because that's what I'm into - roleplaying how it should be, like someone said, roleplaying involves portrayal of realistic emotions and reactions to occuring events. With realism, comes fun. The fun is hiding in the randomness and development. You can't have fun roleplaying when you play safe.

Question answered indeed, but there are definitely a lot of people in this community as well who believe that realism does not = fun, but rather the opposite.

From what I can tell, a lot of illegal factions make an effort to portray realistic characters by basing their roleplay off of real gangs/organizations which is great. Portraying a realistic character is what makes the fun and it gives the entire server a more realistic atmosphere, as many others mentioned.

I do hope that the rest of the server will adapt to this mentality in the future. 

Edited by Maroon

Depends. We're here to have fun, otherwise we wouldn't play.

The only sorts of people who would play here are those for whom realism is a factor in creating fun.

But if those two things come into conflict in a vacuum devoid of other players and/or extenuating circumstances? I'll choose fun over realism every single time - as would any other player, barring the most dogmatic masochist. For example, I've never seen one person RP a wound realistically with regards to lasting permanent damage and the speed of recovery. Assuming no damage to organs or deep tissue, the recovery time for a gunshot is generally 7 to 14 days.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you given timely RP to proper hospital bedrest? Sure, you'll play along for a day or two, but at some point, the realism puts an unnecessary burden on the fun - and so we accelerate the healing process, and rightfully so.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you remained in prison for 15 years or more when sentenced for armed robbery? That would be realistic, but of course, this cedes to fun in the lax sentencing guidelines (a bit too lax, if you ask me.)

So let's not pay lip service to a faux ideological purity and recognize we're all here to have fun.

• Upvote 4
47 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Depends. We're here to have fun, otherwise we wouldn't play.

The only sorts of people who would play here are those for whom realism is a factor in creating fun.

But if those two things come into conflict in a vacuum devoid of other players and/or extenuating circumstances? I'll choose fun over realism every single time - as would any other player, barring the most dogmatic masochist. For example, I've never seen one person RP a wound realistically with regards to lasting permanent damage and the speed of recovery. Assuming no damage to organs or deep tissue, the recovery time for a gunshot is generally 7 to 14 days.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you given timely RP to proper hospital bedrest? Sure, you'll play along for a day or two, but at some point, the realism puts an unnecessary burden on the fun - and so we accelerate the healing process, and rightfully so.

If you claim to value realism over fun, have you remained in prison for 15 years or more when sentenced for armed robbery? That would be realistic, but of course, this cedes to fun in the lax sentencing guidelines (a bit too lax, if you ask me.)

So let's not pay lip service to a faux ideological purity and recognize we're all here to have fun.

No one is paying lip service to some faux ideological purity. We get it, big words make you sound smart but that doesn't make up for your lacking of comprehension on this subject. As others have pointed out, they achieve fun through realism. The fact they don't play with 1:1 realism in every single facet of their characters life doesn't expose some hypocrisy in their words and actions. 

When talking about realism, we need to remember we're doing so in the context of of an online community. By which we understand that no one, by virtue of the games limitations and the limitation of ones own real life, will every be literally 100% realistic in their portrayal. So understandable there is a social contract between players on a heavy roleplay server such as GTAW that each of us will, to the best of our individual limitations roleplay realistically. For me, my free time to play on the server is equally distributed throughout the week. Because of this, if I was to be incapacitated or injured. It wouldn't be an issue to sit out for a few days or more to RP the initial part of my recovery (Lets also remember that until recently, no functioning hospitals for initial care RP existed on the server). But for someone who's only capable of playing a handful of days at a time, it's understandable that they would fast forward their recovering in a way that at least allows them to RP their character in a functioning form.  

When talking about fun, we need to remember that ones idea of "fun" is entirely subjective and because roleplay servers naturally give way to fantasy. I, like many other players on this server are not and would never be capable of being what they are attempting portray with their characters. No matter how hard I try, I will never be a Mexican-American living in southern California who participates in gang activity. This fantasy element however can quickly spiral into spawning situations that would never arise in real life and leads to characters making decisions no one outside of an action movie would make. This is where the problems arise for players who value realism. 

Realism, in the understanding I outlined for you should always come first. Obviously, people should enjoy themselves but on a heavy roleplay server their fun should never come at the expense of realism. 

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, Henning said:

No one is paying lip service to some faux ideological purity. We get it, big words make you sound smart but that doesn't make up for your lacking of comprehension on this subject. As others have pointed out, they achieve fun through realism. The fact they don't play with 1:1 realism in every single facet of their characters life doesn't expose some hypocrisy in their words and actions.

The hypocrisy exists in demanding 1:1 realism in some aspects but completely ignoring it in others.

Demand 100% realism or get off your high horse with regards to other styles of play - for example, demanding that extortion victims fear their aggressors without a shred of thought given to RPing fear of the police.

Your disdain and utter lack of regard for whether your fellow players are enjoying the game we share says volumes about you, and I hope you stop to reevaluate how spiteful you repeatedly come off to others for the crime of having an opinion different from your own.

44 minutes ago, Henning said:

When talking about realism, we need to remember we're doing so in the context of of an online community. By which we understand that no one, by virtue of the games limitations and the limitation of ones own real life, will every be literally 100% realistic in their portrayal. So understandable there is a social contract between players on a heavy roleplay server such as GTAW that each of us will, to the best of our individual limitations roleplay realistically. For me, my free time to play on the server is equally distributed throughout the week. Because of this, if I was to be incapacitated or injured. It wouldn't be an issue to sit out for a few days or more to RP the initial part of my recovery (Lets also remember that until recently, no functioning hospitals for initial care RP existed on the server). But for someone who's only capable of playing a handful of days at a time, it's understandable that they would fast forward their recovering in a way that at least allows them to RP their character in a functioning form.

So:

• Because you don't have the free time to RP an entire recovery, you instead say it wouldn't be an issue to RP the initial part.
  • In other words, you're ceding realism for fun, a completely necessary thing, which is precisely the point I was making.

Others might criticize you for that decision when you do not roleplay to their standards of what qualifies as realism - and they would be absolutely right in the assertion that electing to fast-forward through recovery of an injury is not realistic. The point I made that you seem to have missed is that I have no problem with this. My problem instead lies with people who would cudgel others into a preferred route of activity with the club of "realistic" behavior without regards to how fun it is for the other person.

A great number of poor RPers on the illegal side are guilty of this through the meta game developed around robbery and extortion - sure, this problem could be ameliorated by the PD doing their jobs, but that doesn't change the fact that realism is the weapon by which these players are actively sapping fun from other players in the name of obtaining their next influx of script cash.

Let's take our extortion situation as an example.

Why is it that the business owner can be CK'd for lack of fear RP when they refuse extortion attempts, and yet the extortionist faces no consequences when they fail to RP fear of legal repercussions? Because "realism" is weaponized in one direction.

To make the point closer to the above example, if someone accused you of not RPing injuries because they'd injured you in such a way to preclude you from a particular activity two weeks in the future, but you fast forward to attend something that would be fun in the interim - their accusation has merit if "RP realism to the best of each person's ability" is our standard.

I hope that's not the server culture any of us want to propagate.

I'd prefer we show our fellow players a little grace and get rid of this toxic idea that flagrant disregard for someone else's fun for no reason other than realism is acceptable.