Realism vs Fun

Entity

Forgive me but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what this thread's about. What do you mean by enjoyment/pleasure? What do you get enjoyment/pleasure out of roleplaying? What don't you? I'm asking before I make assumptions and say something stupid that might not even be in context with what you're tryna ask.

Personally I get all of my enjoyment out of roleplaying a realistic character, no matter who that character is or what they do. So realism and fun for me pretty much goes hand in hand, there can't be one without the other.

Also you mention ERP, I personally am not a fan of it either, when I get into a situation and the two characters having sex seems to be inevitable, I always let the other side know that I prefer to fade to black, because typing long ass /me's about my dick just isn't it. Regardless though, that's a bit of an extreme example don't you think? I dunno man, I for one think that players should put their personal feelings about certain things aside so that realistic roleplay can take place. Personally, if you don't have fun with realism, I question why you play.

Just now, Entity said:

I personally am very willing to not allow some types of RP to continue in order to have a good OOC experience. The best example out there is ERP. My character might get involved in situations that would organically lead to ERP. I, however, am not going to roleplay having sex with a virtual character because I find that extremely cringe-worthy. There's a line between having fun and having to do something for the sake of realism.

That's an entirely different subject overall and don't feel it's really what I'd consider "RP" - I think the vast majority agree it's awkward and it's also why we have F.T.B as an option - you'd never be forced to "RP" that and if you was? Breach of the rules. 

5 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I suppose it depends on what you called "safe". Maybe, to take the example the OP mentioned, a character doesn't do drugs, but keeps getting into undesirable situations because they're easily taken advantage of? Those situations don't have to involve illegality to provide character development and real IC obstacles.

I see lots of people RPing lots of different things, and I never ever assume that just because they're doing something they find fun, that isn't also providing rich RP experiences to them and others. In fact, if you can combine real character depiction with something you genuinely find fun, all the best to you.

That wasn't really the point I was making, you've cut half of my reply without the rest of it's context and responded to that instead.

The problem to ME comes when people start sacrificing realism and what would be considered realistic in a RP scenario because they're too stuck on what they might consider "fun" and not what's realistic for their character, robbing other players and themselves of RP.

I don't have a problem with people enjoying their RP of course, that's stupid - I have a concern with people playing GTAW as something it's not and ruining RP for everyone involved. 

Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

he problem to ME comes when people start sacrificing realism and what would be considered realistic in a RP scenario because they're too stuck on what they might consider "fun" and not what's realistic for their character, robbing other players and themselves of RP.

Oh, okay. That's fair.

If you're Roleplaying for fun and not part taking in certain things you personally don't like on an OOC level, you're not Roleplaying at that point. You're just an avatar. 

The whole point of RP is to portray realistic emotions and reactions to events that occur and the aftermath of those events. 

EDIT: Not saying there's nothing wrong with being an avatar, just that probably isn't the platform for someone who prefers fun over realism. Something like IMVU or Second Life would be better for them.

Edited by IrCam
Clarification
2 hours ago, IrCam said:

If you're Roleplaying for fun and not part taking in certain things you personally don't like on an OOC level, you're not Roleplaying at that point. You're just an avatar. 

The whole point of RP is to portray realistic emotions and reactions to events that occur and the aftermath of those events. 

This. I have fuck all comfort zones when it comes to roleplay, because I believe RP is about stepping outside of your comfort zone. 

Edited by Garras Up

Realism through fun all the way. I RP-ed gang life first, then the PTSD caused by it, then therapy and we'll see where life takes my character now. 

I've had fun doing all of this because that's what I'm into - roleplaying how it should be, like someone said, roleplaying involves portrayal of realistic emotions and reactions to occuring events. With realism, comes fun. The fun is hiding in the randomness and development. You can't have fun roleplaying when you play safe.

Edited by hentai!