Club Characters + Drugs & Alcohol

aldo

To add to the discussion, by the way: if bouncers RPed realistically and club owners weren't lenient on drug vendors in their establishment for "mood" or to pander to drug RP, realistically a bouncer IRL can spot a drug dealer roaming around a club pretty easily. It's also stupidly easy to spot in-game. The realism argument doesn't work for me because if realism applies then most of the herds of drug dealers that come around clubs acting completely conspicuously would be kicked instantly in anywhere but a seedy, openly drug friendly rave or after hours kind of dive spot. In any mid to high-end Club you're getting the bouncers to show you the curb.

My POV

Players who attend clubs regularly haven’t had that experience before, they don’t know the aftermath of intoxication, hence why they just go to another club the next day.

Players who have that experience don’t go to clubs regularly hence why you don’t see the same proportion of true party goers.

This has likely been said already but it's a gripe of mine when people go to a club and just sit in a booth and sip on their whiskey for ten minutes before deciding it's time to leave because "it's dead".

Make the atmosphere yourself, get up and do a /ravedance. 90% of people in a club are dancing. Clubs on this server feel like dive bars.

1 hour ago, Koko said:

We do buy it. There's just dozens of players in your same position trying to sell it like it was the morning paper, riding around in bikes, cars and sometimes even high-end cars to stop a random bystander to offer them drugs. I usually keep a stash of about 50 units/grams of Marijuana (as a legal character) and I simply can't keep up with the amount of people that push their phone number on me or chase me around, calling me up to several times a day to see if I need more.

Walking around South LS on foot, if you look over your shoulder it just looks like this:

Lab: Cycling in the peloton is ten times easier than previously thought -  Metro Newspaper UK

That's what I am trying to say everyone has it and it has come to the point where it makes no sense anymore, everyone trying to make that $ :"D

Someone may have mentioned this in the literal pages of responses, but I'll get back to the OP - specifically, the questions seem to be:

1. Why don't people who go to clubs drink alcohol or do drugs?
  2. Would more taxis encourage people to take them to clubs?

My short answer is that clubs are a stand-in for people who'd prefer other activities - and yet there's an understandable aversion to congregating outdoors due to the very real threat that four guys on motorcycles will roll up and try to rob everyone. The end result is people who go to clubs because it's a safe atmosphere, but who aren't actually interested in clubbing.

To explain what I mean by all that, first I'd like to point out that with regards to alcohol, I've had the opposite experience - nearly every single person I've encountered is a drinker in some form. Statistics bear that out - about 80% of the US population drinks. Those same statistics explain why we have so little hard drug use on the server.

According to the National Institute of Health, here is the prevalence of some of the substances people are trying to sell on the server:

• Marijuana. 51.5% of adults have tried it, whereas only 22% have used it in the past month.
  • Hallucinogens have a 16.4% exposure rate, with only 1.7% having used them in the past month.
  • MDMA follows a similar pattern - 10.5% of the population exposed, only 0.5% have used in the past month.
  • Cocaine: 11.4% lifetime exposure, 1% recent use.
  • Heroin: 1.3% exposure, 0.2% recent use.

Take these and ask yourself if they match up with the server consumption of drugs - the presupposition I come to is the opposite of that of the OP. That is, they're still more prevalent in Los Santos than realistic adherence to statistics would suggest. But, you may be thinking, wouldn't the sorts of people who go to clubs be more likely to try drugs than the general population?

That's where you can refer to my above answer - that clubs aren't popular by their own merits, but rather because:

1. The server business script provides outsized incentives to operate a club-like business structure, and
  2. Any interior provides shelter from the outsized violent crime.

People will literally do anything, as long as you've either got a ton of (armed) people or it's inside an interior. Club culture has begun to decline as we see more businesses of other sorts start to crop up, but opening other business types to the script bonus would likely be the death knell of the dominance of nightlife on the server. Not to say there aren't people who enjoy going or the RP surrounding it - but many people go because they're RPing by themselves in their house or being robbed outside otherwise, not to "experience rave culture."

• Applaud 1

Idk man. I love going clubbing / raving irl and I'm not a drinker / drug taker. I love dancing though, and just having fun overall with the people I meet at the club / my friends.

To add onto this, my char is a 42 year old, which is a crime ring leader, he knows the effects of drugs and is actually afraid of them, despite being in contact with them almost every day. He doesn't drink due to childhood traumas. I feel like "just drink n take drugs bro" is way more complex than just that.

Edited by Santanaa

I find it weird how most of the frequent club goers never ever take drugs. Go into a club, you usually see the same people over and over again, and go try selling them drugs. Most of them never budge. 

I wish there was a way to give people an incentive to do drugs sometimes. I know it's hard to do it on a video game, but still. I would like to see more drug roleplay around the vibrant club scene on GTA W. Good luck to whoever takes up the mantle!!! 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Smilesville said:

According to the National Institute of Health, here is the prevalence of some of the substances people are trying to sell on the server:

• Marijuana. 51.5% of adults have tried it, whereas only 22% have used it in the past month.
  • Hallucinogens have a 16.4% exposure rate, with only 1.7% having used them in the past month.
  • MDMA follows a similar pattern - 10.5% of the population exposed, only 0.5% have used in the past month.
  • Cocaine: 11.4% lifetime exposure, 1% recent use.
  • Heroin: 1.3% exposure, 0.2% recent use.

Take these and ask yourself if they match up with the server consumption of drugs - the presupposition I come to is the opposite of that of the OP. That is, they're still more prevalent in Los Santos than realistic adherence to statistics would suggest. But, you may be thinking, wouldn't the sorts of people who go to clubs be more likely to try drugs than the general population?

While I completely get the point you are trying to make, those figures won't be close to correct in reality.   The majority of drug users are going to lie when asked about their drug use.   I know if my Doctor asks me I'm going to tell them I've used marijuana once or twice that year, when it's been closer to once a day.   This would especially be the case in people who are more successful.   No doctor, lawyer or successful entrepreneur is going to open up about their drug use unless they are caught.