Club Characters + Drugs & Alcohol

aldo

7 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

Can't the act of going out and dancing be the stress management itself?

IRL we go out all to clubs all the time (or we did until things were locked down again), and we simply don't get drunk or do things like cocaine - these are really frowned on by our peer group. Even ecstasy is starting to become out of fashion because we were educated about it really early and there were high profile overdose stories that we all now remember. I will qualify that by saying I'd never go to somewhere really hard-core, so maybe there's still a sub-culture where things like cocaine still get used?

I'm not sure about the state of drug RP, but statistics world-wide are proving that each generation is moving away from drugs and alcohol. Even the age at which people are first engaging is sexual activity is increasing year on year.

If you want realism in the game, then this statistically has to also play out. It might be inconvenient for people wanting to RP selling drugs, but it's just what's happening. I RP buying water so that the poor bartender can get a tip, but it's a valid IC choice for quite a few reasons for me to stay away from substances. I'm sure plenty of other people also have valid RP reasons not to use drugs.

I mean, don't a lot of companies now drug test their employees?

https://www.addictioncenter.com/addiction/addiction-statistics/ 

This suggests that substance abuse increases, every year.

Edited by DLimit
4 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Thanks for that link, it's really interesting.

But:

More than a quarter of 'Gen Zers' are now teetotal | Daily Mail Online

Why millennials are increasingly choosing an alcohol-free lifestyle | PBS NewsHour

Generation Z: ‘We have more to do than drink and take drugs’ | Young people | The Guardian

Older people out-drink younger Australians on a regular basis - ABC News

I'm not saying that people shouldn't RP drinking and taking drugs, before the usual people who take everything out of context...well...take what I'm putting here out of context. RP whatever you want to RP. 

What I'm saying is that there is addiction data, which is what you've provided, but there's also world wide data showing that so many of us now no longer see drugs and alcohol as desirable commodities. Especially when everything we do - getting work, study, saving for a house (ha!) - is now so hyper-competitive.

People going to clubs to dance and be with friends is absolutely realistic. 

I don't know what clubs you people have gone to, but in the area I grew up in it was pretty common to pay to get inside a club and get a drink with your ticket, and a lot of people would simply not drink after inside the club because prices inside are insane (or would drink outside). I personally have my character drink because I want Clubs to be profitable and because I think it's fair to use a businesses services when you go there, but that's just me.

Also, let's be real, a lot of the time there's one bartender for upwards of 12 people in the bar, and a lot of people don't want to wait 10 minutes standing at a bar when they could be interacting with the other active patrons. Some people chat at the bar, but most don't, and I say this as I play a very outgoing, apparently extroverted character.

very concerning that a dealer can go into a club ingame with molly, and leave an hour later with all their molly intact.

not to mention most clubs "DJs" just fucking play regular music, not even music u can dance to, or mixes, literally just random un-edited pop songs.

club scene is complete ass, same faces at every single club and none of them drink or use drugs, apart from a few which if you are reading this, good on you. 

18 minutes ago, Pathway said:

very concerning that a dealer can go into a club ingame with molly, and leave an hour later with all their molly intact.

not to mention most clubs "DJs" just fucking play regular music, not even music u can dance to, or mixes, literally just random un-edited pop songs.

club scene is complete ass, same faces at every single club and none of them drink or use drugs, apart from a few which if you are reading this, good on you. 

i was trying to sell ecstasy in a club and ended up with an undercover security guard buying it n then calling cops which ended up w/ a search warrant lmfao, all for a club dealer. not to mention there were like 2 ppl that actually bought it

Don't take my dutchie life experience as fact for Americans that do clubbing. 

I did some clubbing in my time as well as going to festivals. Usually it's the festivals where you get offered drugs left and right whereas the clubs it's more drink drink drink and if it's too expensive you get yourself near drunk at home before you go in. Never had anyone offer me drugs in a club. What I do miss.. Is pickpocketers, in clubs xD

But what do I know, that was 10 years ago🤷‍♀️

As for ig experience, when my cop char goes clubbing, he never sold out a drug dealer as he was off-duty. He wanted to do his own thing and not be bothered all the time with cop things. For him, off duty was off duty. He did have fun with them now and than but other than that. I indeed miss people roleplaying drunk. And if they drive stick to that roleplay of they did. Alcohol doesn't leave your body as fast as it does ig xD

1 hour ago, Garras Up said:

Nobody in the club ever wants to buy my char's cocaine/molly so tbh i just rp doing it myself.

Could almost sum that up to "nobody ever wants to buy drugs" period, however!! There are a select few doing us all a solid and roleplay addicts, and I appreciate all of you. 

However, yes, drugs and liquor should be more commonly consumed in clubs, 100%.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DLimit said:

Any one that claims "I'm a legal character. Thus, I don't do drugs" should realize that any form of abuse, whether it's driven by narcotics, alcohol, or gambling, are caused by stress within the workplace. After working those constant shifts? You'd want to lighten up by getting plastered on a Friday or Saturday (or a day off). Only exception, really, would be government labourers such as Law enforcement and F.D.

Trucker? Get plastered. Barista? Get plastered. Bartender? Get even more plastered.

They’d rather just run a business and roleplay a multi millionaire by doing the bare minimum of work