San Andreas State Government

imYsK0o.png

GOVERNOR BRANDT TO STEP AWAY FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

On 10th February 2021, a significant change has been put into motion with respect to the Democratic party.

It is to be formally stated that Governor Brandt has decided to take a step away from the party, following recent events and the building pressure and tension between the Governor and his closest advisors.

Governor Brandt is regretful of this decision, but recognises that at the current time, the action hereby recorded is the appropriate path to take.

The Governor remains adamant that the principles of which he stands will ultimately achieve the best outcome for the citizens of the San Andreas.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT : GOVERNOR BRANDT

This decision has been a hard one to make, something I haven't taken lightly. My party has made it clear to me that I no longer speak for them and that the decision I've made to veto marijuana legislation is one that they can not support. 

The Democractic party feels that marijuana legislation is now one of it's core issues and that the negative impact of my decision will be tangible, especially in the medical field. They're not the only ones that feel that way. Many people around the State of San Andreas have expressed concern about the veto I issued, some going so far as to call me a dictator. That couldn't be further from the truth. I am a man that stands on principles that I deeply believe in, even if they might not be popular. 

I feel that the State of San Andreas isn't ready for full legalization of marijuana and that more work needs to take place in order to achieve that goal. The decision to rush this legislation by the Republican party is regrettable, especially considering the measured approach Senator Morales and others were taking. While Senator Morales and her colleagues made attempts to gather public support and expert statements, the Republicans jumped the gun and rushed legislation through that wasn't, in my opinion, adequate for the good people of San Andreas. I stand by my actions and I'd do it again in the same circumstances.

Thank you,

Governor Robert Brandt

OFFICIAL STATEMENT : LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR HOLLAND

I am deeply saddened by the events of the last couple of days. Governor Brandt, I feel, is a good man who stands on his principles. Unfortunately, it has become clear that those principles are no longer in line with the Democratic party and the decision to veto legislation that was unanimously supported has cost us deeply. It is for that reason that Governor Brandt has decided to step aside as the head of the Democratic party. 

As executives of the State of San Andreas, it is our duty to support the actions of the people's representatives, regardless of our personal feelings. The Democratic party of San Andreas must stand firm in our belief that marijuana legislation is an absolute priority. Many studies show that harsh and uninformed drug laws have caused irreparable damage to our society, damaging minority communities especially, almost beyond repair. 

While I am still honored to serve as the Lieutenant Governor of San Andreas under Governor Robert Brandt, I must make my feelings on this subject very clear. Outdated drug laws must be put to an end. It’s time for us to get with the times. 

Thank you, 

Lieutenant Governor Francis Holland

aTSZpi9.png

• Applaud 1

3Q9lVLG.png

APPOINTMENT OF THE STATE TREASURER

The State of San Andreas formally recognizes the confirmation and appointment of Cecil Grosvenor as the new State Treasurer into one of the few executive offices of the state, after nomination by Lieutenant Governor Francis Holland and confirmation by the State Senate.

Serving as the chief custodian of the State’s Treasury, Mr. Grosvenor will oversee and manage the state’s finances, maintaining a strict oversight on various investments, debt and risk management, budgeting, and disaster preparation.

Cecil Grosvenor is a well-renowned civil servant and economist with more than thirty years’ experience in government administration, public policy, and economic affairs. Swiftly rising through the ranks of government office, Grosvenor started out as a public and fiscal legislative writer for eight years before becoming the Senior Political and Policy Advisor for the Government taking an active role in influencing and directing government policy on matters of social and economic importance.

Grosvenor took a brief hiatus in 2018 in order to spend some time formulating his own ideas, drafting and writing research reports and books on modern political science, international relations, and aspects of the economy, mainly focusing on different agents of the State of San Andreas, amongst other countries around the globe.

Grosvenor’s research has been fundamental in analysing and understanding international political models, the systems of governance in the United States and throughout Europe, and the theories of economic self-sufficiency. Upon his return to the civil service in January 2021, Grosvenor joined as the Policy Advisor and Legislative Assistant to Senator Frank Ernst of the Northern District before being nominated for State Treasurer by Lieutenant Governor Holland, a month after his return.

The Senate convened on 15th February 2021 to discuss Mr. Grosvenor’s appointment.

IFBClwg.png 

In his opening statement, Mr. Grosvenor delivered a short, yet impressive declamation, stating:

“I'm of the firm belief that this state should be taking an active role and interest in managing and safeguarding public funds, and in helping secure the economic future of the state and its people. I also believe the State Treasurer's Office should be taking a very primary role in the investment of small start-up businesses that wish to contribute a lot to the economy, especially into public financial and teaching institutions, areas of transportation projects, sustainable energy and certainly housing. It is absolutely vital for the public to start trusting and believing in a system that can ensure financial transparency and can work for the people and their interests. Thank you.”

A number of questions were put to the nominee by the presiding Senators, including clarification on the plans sought to be in motion once in office alongside the general responsibilities such office bears. Mr. Grosvenor’s confirmation was then pushed to a full and final vote by the entire Senate shortly after, with a unanimous vote in his favour.

Upon his appointment, Mr. Grosvenor makes clear his goals in the coming months as he settles into the position:

“My ultimate priority is dedicated to financial transparency, protecting the state’s financial health, and advancing policies that I strictly believe best serve the state’s interests. This means my first priority will be to focus on making sure the state invests in three main areas that will help maximise returns; education, small-businesses, and affordable housing. Of course, my office will be looking into other avenues and state investment opportunities which are of vital importance. I want to actively start looking into them in order to boost our state’s economic standing and truly make our mark as the country’s largest and strongest economy.”

mq6Gcd5.png

mP4wseb.png

ATTORNEY GENERAL APPOINTMENT

The State of San Andreas formally recognizes the appointment of the new Attorney General William Eden, after nomination by Lieutenant Governor Francis Holland and confirmation by the State Senate.

Leading the Department of Justice, Mr. Eden will oversee all State legal matters and will advise and represent the State on matters of litigation and will act as the state’s principal advisor in other legal affairs.

Mr. Eden will also directly oversee and supervise the administration of all offices, divisions, and bureaus within the department. Similarly, the Attorney General shall make informed recommendations regarding the appointment of judicial staff.

Eden was born in 1985 to American diplomats serving in the U.S. Embassy in London. Moving back to the United States in 1998, he attended the Groton School and then Columbia University where he earned a B.A. in History. He graduated from Columbia Law School in 2009 and began working as a legal counsel for Goldman Sachs before taking a position at Credit Suisse in New York. In 2016, he moved to San Andreas and began working as a prosecutor in the Los Santos County District Attorney’s Office. Later the following year he won election as District Attorney of Los Santos County.

An advocate for progressive criminal justice reform, Eden has championed policies that lead to a more fair and equitable enforcement of the rule of law. In his recreational time, he enjoys sailing and playing golf and is a patron of local arts organizations.

The Senate convened on 15th February 2021 to discuss Mr. Edens appointment, alongside the appointment of State Treasurer Mr. Cecil Grosvenor.

BVSBUM7.png

Upon being recognised in the hearing, Mr. Eden gave an opening statement on his nomination:

Senator Ernst. Senators of the Committee. We are living in a time when the political discourse in our state too often reflects the politically divided country in which we live. Politics is, of course, to be expected in any democratic system. It is essential for much needed discourse and for the exchange of ideas. However, such politics are not acceptable at the Department of Justice. Decisions at the Department must be made with no regard to political pressure. The Department is only effective when it can remain as impartial executors of the law and constitution. This is a mandate I took seriously as the District Attorney of Los Santos County, a position in which I worked with all stakeholders regardless of political alignment to ensure a safer, law-abiding city and county.

During the hearing, Mr. Eden was asked to confirm his stance on the condition of Private Security within the State, in which he stated:

Just as we have internal regulations and reviews for our law enforcement organizations, we should too for private security firms. Employees of these firms are given privileges not afforded to all citizens namely in the issuance of guard cards which give them the ability to carry firearms in situations where others cannot. That requires not only greater responsibility than is normally expected of a private company but expected accountability for their actions.

mq6Gcd5.png

• cxn locked this topic