[Guide] Extortion

SiMo

Played since 2019 and have owned OOT (Out of Towners) since. Over 3000 hours. Giving my side of the story. 

I had extortion attempts in different businesses, over 20 times I am sure. 95% of them are sub-par idiotic encounters - but not on my side, but theirs. First, I made reports, then I just gave up, because it seemed like a waste of time, because some people never learn. Only group, which has been okay with it, are the Russians. 

But the other groups, were always like this:
1) Arrive in business, when open - approach, when people around - sit near to the people - EXTORT! 

Of course I am going to say "No" to this sub-par idiotic shit. 

Second - now, we all are glorifying ourselves, that this is some heavy text-based RP server, where also everything has to be realistic. So let me ask you, IFM people, where the hell in the United States of America, in year 2021, is it so, that every freaking single business is being extorted by some mobsters? Nowhere! 

Businesses, that usually are being extorted, are those, what are run by criminals themselves, and someone has the goods on you and is extorting you like "I will tell the cops, if you don´t pay...".
But it seems that some people talk about realistic character development, realistic distances between Sandy Shores and Los Santos, but when it comes to extortion every single business, it is the damn 1920s-30s AL CAPONE CHICAGO ERA, BABY! 
IRL in 2021 in Los Angeles - the FBI+other agencies would already arrested all of those mobsters, well at least 99% of you. 

And one more thing - if legal business owners do not want to be part of your illegal extortion in 2021, and want to develop their business and characters, then you just say - CK them? People put their OOC time into developing their characters/businesses and just because they live in 2021, not 1930 or the corrupt Balkan nations, they are risking lose it all. I think there is a big misunderstanding between IFM characters and LFM characters. In my time in the server I have understood one thing - most of the IFM characters throw their characters away quite easily (not all of them), because they know the risk being part of illegal factions/mobs, but LFM characters have other goals (mostly longer character development, et cetera) And that is a big difference. 

In conclusion - imho there should be very big chances in the extortions in this server, because this all has gone over the board, and this is simply not realistic. It simply is not.

33 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

Played since 2019 and have owned OOT (Out of Towners) since. Over 3000 hours. Giving my side of the story. 

I had extortion attempts in different businesses, over 20 times I am sure. 95% of them are sub-par idiotic encounters - but not on my side, but theirs. First, I made reports, then I just gave up, because it seemed like a waste of time, because some people never learn. Only group, which has been okay with it, are the Russians. 

But the other groups, were always like this:
1) Arrive in business, when open - approach, when people around - sit near to the people - EXTORT! 

Of course I am going to say "No" to this sub-par idiotic shit. 

Second - now, we all are glorifying ourselves, that this is some heavy text-based RP server, where also everything has to be realistic. So let me ask you, IFM people, where the hell in the United States of America, in year 2021, is it so, that every freaking single business is being extorted by some mobsters? Nowhere! 

Businesses, that usually are being extorted, are those, what are run by criminals themselves, and someone has the goods on you and is extorting you like "I will tell the cops, if you don´t pay...".
But it seems that some people talk about realistic character development, realistic distances between Sandy Shores and Los Santos, but when it comes to extortion every single business, it is the damn 1920s-30s AL CAPONE CHICAGO ERA, BABY! 
IRL in 2021 in Los Angeles - the FBI+other agencies would already arrested all of those mobsters, well at least 99% of you. 

And one more thing - if legal business owners do not want to be part of your illegal extortion in 2021, and want to develop their business and characters, then you just say - CK them? People put their OOC time into developing their characters/businesses and just because they live in 2021, not 1930 or the corrupt Balkan nations, they are risking lose it all. I think there is a big misunderstanding between IFM characters and LFM characters. In my time in the server I have understood one thing - most of the IFM characters throw their characters away quite easily (not all of them), because they know the risk being part of illegal factions/mobs, but LFM characters have other goals (mostly longer character development, et cetera) And that is a big difference. 

In conclusion - imho there should be very big chances in the extortions in this server, because this all has gone over the board, and this is simply not realistic. It simply is not.

So I actually do want to point out that not even the russians are around anymore because other rival gangs didnt see them expand alot. Or try to extort every single business they could get their hands on. Most of them got offed a while back which is kinda sad cause i indirectly worked for them for a long while. Regardless though you are right but the admins dont give a shit at least enough of a shit to actually do something wide spread about this. Being a cop requires a microphone which turns ALOT of roleplayers away. Because you cant exactly roleplay an opposite genders voice. At least reliably unless you've practiced for years and are actually dedicated to it. That whole microphone shit turns alot of people away from even trying to be an officer. Resulting in alot of potential cops not even wanting to try. I know i'd go for being a cop if it didn't require voice. Im mute oocly but aside that. Cops aren't incentivized to even join up much aside money and a circle jerk. (As much as thats harsh to say im not roping ALL the cops into it but there is a significant amount that bitch moan and complain when they get killed during a shoot out.) Regardless there's also really no incentive due to even if you do make a shitload of money you cant even really spend it cause its 'not logical' as i've heard from numerous admins.

Mind you feel free to prove otherwise. Because this is all shit i've heard n observed myself. Point is. If we had more of a cop presence, i gaurentee most of the mobs in the server would get shit on consistently and actually be more similar to real life. Regardless of that we're stuck with what we have so these words should stick in your mind. "Use what you have been given, not what you hope for."

Edited by AngelThreeTails
41 minutes ago, AngelThreeTails said:

So I actually do want to point out that not even the russians are around anymore because other rival gangs didnt see them expand alot. Or try to extort every single business they could get their hands on. Most of them got offed a while back which is kinda sad cause i indirectly worked for them for a long while. Regardless though you are right but the admins dont give a shit at least enough of a shit to actually do something wide spread about this. Being a cop requires a microphone which turns ALOT of roleplayers away. Because you cant exactly roleplay an opposite genders voice. At least reliably unless you've practiced for years and are actually dedicated to it. That whole microphone shit turns alot of people away from even trying to be an officer. Resulting in alot of potential cops not even wanting to try. I know i'd go for being a cop if it didn't require voice. Im mute oocly but aside that. Cops aren't incentivized to even join up much aside money and a circle jerk. (As much as thats harsh to say im not roping ALL the cops into it but there is a significant amount that bitch moan and complain when they get killed during a shoot out.) Regardless there's also really no incentive due to even if you do make a shitload of money you cant even really spend it cause its 'not logical' as i've heard from numerous admins.

Mind you feel free to prove otherwise. Because this is all shit i've heard n observed myself. Point is. If we had more of a cop presence, i gaurentee most of the mobs in the server would get shit on consistently and actually be more similar to real life. Regardless of that we're stuck with what we have so these words should stick in your mind. "Use what you have been given, not what you hope for."

Yes, the police is not simply putting their time into investigating extortion. Have been in different situations where I told the police about it - they say "Hmm, we all try to survive" and so on. Remembering even one FIB case on some extortion thing - did not go nowhere. I think the character involved got CK´d and so ended also the investigation, simple as that. So why even bother as a police to investigate it, if you get CK´d, you have to drop it? 

Agree also with others on the thread, that I am seeing also, that this server is slowly turning to cops vs. robbers server. And this guide simply contributes to it. CK THEM ALL, if they gimme no moneyz!! 

And this argument of "they drive nice cars, have nice suits", so we gonna extort them is one of the stupidest arguments I honestly have heard in quite a while. What a world they live in - going around LS, looking for nice cars and extort their owners 😄 That is indeed realistic. 

Edited by Tsarna

Let me clarify. 

You will not be CKed just by refusing extortion, there's much more to it, so please get that stupid stereotype out of your head. 

Second of all, it's up to law enforcement to investigate extortion, but right now it's useless because cases take weeks to investigate and only grant a 2 day sentence or so. Hopefully, soon we'll get tougher laws that will grant longer sentences to make the time taken to investigate all of this worth it. 

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, nateX said:

Let me clarify. 

You will not be CKed just by refusing extortion, there's much more to it, so please get that stupid stereotype out of your head. 

Second of all, it's up to law enforcement to investigate extortion, but right now it's useless because cases take weeks to investigate and only grant a 2 day sentence or so. Hopefully, soon we'll get tougher laws that will grant longer sentences to make the time taken to investigate all of this worth it. 

Let me clarify - you will be eventually CK´d, if you decline their extortion attempt. First they make it clear, they want money; then second, they come and drive the guests away; third, they burn down your business; fourth, they kidnap you; five, they CK you. And you can´t do ASS about it. But what about if I say, that in 2021 it is not fucking realistic to come to Del Perro Pier and try to extort a place there? I don´t want no unrealistic extortion rp, that is about it. Every single extortion attempt in the server, since becoming cops vs robbers, ends like this:
You agree and pay up, and they keep themselves away from ya business.
You dont agree and dont pay, and you get harassed like it is fcking Chicago in the 20s-30s.

I've only heard of one instance of someone getting CKed because they refused extortion, and that was because they threatened and went through with the thought that hiring an MC with like 10 members to deal with the criminals was a good idea. In return the business owner got kidnapped and CKed, and rightfully so. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, nateX said:

I've only heard of one instance of someone getting CKed because they refused extortion, and that was because they threatened and went through with the thought that hiring an MC with like 10 members to deal with the criminals was a good idea. In return the business owner got kidnapped and CKed, and rightfully so. 

And why is that? Last thing - he went to MC, because the cops aint doing shit about it. And this is common knowledge. I know three or four people who got CK´d or CK´d themselves, because of extortion. And I know at least ten more who just gave up running businesses (especially leased ones), because poor extortion rp. This is the reality of the server.

3 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Input is greatly appreciated!

So moving on from this since NATE locked it. Im going to put it simply. No its not just an IC issue its a straight up OOC issue. Don't say its IC when you literally have people going door to door to extort businesses and ruin rp for other people. What you just expect a small business owner who probably took months of development oocly to get to the point he's at. Suddenly go "oh hey yeah here take this cash to be useless to me and my business. Cause you dont provide any RP for me other then coming by 1 time a week to collect what amounts to my lot rent." And then these people that extort get 2 days in fucking prison and then just DO IT AGAIN. Thats an OOC issue with players being idiots and pretty much taking the fast track to making cash for their faction and ruining roleplay for people who want to run legit businesses. The server is straight up being made into cops vs robbers and its actually turning alot of legal players away. I've actually had an entire group of people fuck off that I played with a fair bit. Because the admins wouldn't do shit about the 4 groups basically driving away business cause they refused to pay up. Going "Its an IC issue." So they just up n fucked off cause they cant solve that shit themselves. Especially when gangs are rolling by every other day to collect "protection" money to protect them against fuck all.

Point is. Make the punishment MUCH harsher if you fuck up extortion by doing it stupidly. Get some dirt on the owner first hold that over his head and then fucking extort him so he's scared too scared to go to the cops. Just walking up as a group one day to a new business n going "yo holms give us money or we'll burn yer fuckin business down." Its honestly stupid. And again throwing back to the lack of cops. Fix those fucking OOC requirements so you can actually recruit people instead of ya know basing your fuckin OOC radio system off a teamspeak server so cops can just randomly metagame when they get shot at and cant radio. This ain't half life 2 where the cops get vital sign monitors so if one goes down everyone fucking knows about it.

Edited by AngelThreeTails
Spelling
  • Jax locked this topic