[Guide] Extortion

SiMo

1 minute ago, Stiggz said:

Then don’t break fear roleplay and pay the amount they ask, you make enough so stop complaining about losing 5000 dollars a month. 

Lol so basically the legal RP'er has to submit to the extortionist every time? Give me a break. It's thinking like that which gives extortion a bad name on this server.

On 1/9/2021 at 7:38 AM, Alexion said:

I think you're missing one of the most important points: extortion should have a legal front. It shouldn't just be "Hey, I'm in an organized crime group and you're in my area" it needs to have a legal front to launder the income and act as a cover up should the business owner make law enforcement aware. 

Most recently, I witnessed a group tell an owner of a business they were the "peacekeepers" of the area. This made no sense whatsoever, there was no pretext, nothing. For all the business owner knew, they were a bunch of random punks. There's no installing fear via this method and it's plain stupid.

I am however in agreement that extortion is fine. It just needs to be applied much, much better. 

This right here ^

11 minutes ago, MCB666 said:

This right here ^

Yeah exactly. Don't get me wrong, I am not against extortion. I'm against what people seem to think extortion is currently on this server. @Alexion explained it perfectly. However @Henning made good points and if we had some pressure coming from the other side (PD/Detectives/DA/Court Cases), we would have less of these poor excuses of extortion. I think there is fault on both sides, namely the portrayal suggested in this guide for example, but the legal pressure would help immensely to clear this up.

Edited by Cypher
On 1/8/2021 at 12:30 AM, SiMo said:

$1,000 to $25,000+ money per week

I don't think it's extorting someone if you demand 1000$ per week. I would call that begging. I doubt anyone would risk his life over 1000$ which he might even have to share with his group, kinda unrealistic. You should honestly rethink that frame.

Other than that I like some points in your guide and others I'm not that much a fan of.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:30 AM, SiMo said:

If the extortion goes bad for you, always AIM FOR CHARACTER KILL.

I have some legitimate questions for the creator of the guide. If I, as a business owner with absolutely no organized crime affiliations and no ethnic ties to the community in which my business is conducted (Rockford Hills), am approached by someone trying to extort me and I call the police, is this the type of situation where you should be granted a CK permission against me?

Or, let's say I report your character to the police and your character is arrested and goes to jail for...uhm...24 hours, does this mean the extortion went "bad for you" and that you should aim for the character kill? And be granted permission?

What I'm trying to understand is whether, according to your understanding of good extortion RP, anyone calling the police is liable to a CK - or for that matter, even a PK?

If this is true, then how is LS any different to a city in a mostly lawless third world country?

• Jax locked this topic